Gumption

Torque II Line Lay Issues causing wind knots

7 posts in this topic

I am getting nothing but wind knots when using my Torque II 7000. I have mono backing for the 30lb braid that I am using, and when using my other reel that is spooled exactly as the Torque that rig has never generated a wind knot. What I have noticed is that the line is spooling up unevenly...but not like you would think. The line is laying the same height at the front and back of the spool...but the line is laying lower in the middle of the spool. 

The reel only gets used when I go surf fishing in Mexico which is once a year. The reel is only 2 years old, and was bought new from Cabela's. The first year I had no issues, then it just started to be nothing but a problem. I have changed the braid from Power Pro to Tuff Line because the Tuff line is rounder than the Power Pro and it does the same regardless. I am 100% sure that how the line is laying is the reason for the wind knots, and what really sucks is I have lost $50 in lures when all of a sudden the line comes to a stop because of the wind knot and the shock leader breaks. 

Any ideas on why the line would be laying on the reel this way? A dealer in Cabo says it is a known problem?

Never used one, but I have a suggestion that might help alleviate the issue. Since you have it backed with mono, you could respond but don’t lay the mono evenly, try to make it form a slight hump in the middle so as to force the braid to lay more evenly once fully spooled. This might help if the dip in the middle is actually contributing/causing the wind knots. 

Not sure how to produce the hump in the middle with a spinning reel? Baitcaster would be easy enough...and what is weird is that the mono is level across the spool. The braid appears to start out level against the backing but as it fills the "sag" in the middle gets more prominent, Sent Penn an email a week ago but no response. This is an expensive reel, and it is not fun when you have to worry about every cast you are going to make that it will become a wind knot and a lure lost because of it.

I am throwing 3oz. baits on a 10' medium action Penn surf rod (though it does the same thing with a 2oz. bait) so it is not like I am throwing too lite of baits with a rig that is too heavy. It even does it on my Penn 11' surf rod, and it too me a little time to narrow it down to the line lay as the problem. 

Gumption,

The other post is referring to taping the middle of the spool arbor before spooling making a "hump".

Did you do any maintenance on the reel after the first year?  Usually wind knots pop up immediately and not 2 years later.  30lb braid is a little light for a 7, you should be using 50lb minimum, but preferably 65lb, I am not sure if this is contributing to your problem.  Are you back in the States?  If you would like to send it in to us we can take a look but trouble-shooting wind knots is not easy as we can not replicate your cast but we can try and correct your line lay. 

tony

49 mins ago, PENN Fishing said:

Gumption,

The other post is referring to taping the middle of the spool arbor before spooling making a "hump".

Did you do any maintenance on the reel after the first year?  Usually wind knots pop up immediately and not 2 years later.  30lb braid is a little light for a 7, you should be using 50lb minimum, but preferably 65lb, I am not sure if this is contributing to your problem.  Are you back in the States?  If you would like to send it in to us we can take a look but trouble-shooting wind knots is not easy as we can not replicate your cast but we can try and correct your line lay. 

tony

Hi Tony,

I have used 65 pound, went to 50, and now 30 pound. Why? Before finding the sag in the middle of the spool I had read that going to a lighter line could minimize the wind knots. My first year I used 65...and no issues. Also I am using a Penn Carnage II 11' medium heavy rod and the rod states 30-50 pound braid  recommended. Second year I used 65 and it was a mess...and just started going down in line weight. The 30 pound will take a few casts before it will knot up...the heavier weight line knots up pretty much on the first cast. I have read every article I could read on how to avoid wind knots and the causes...and until I just happened to look at the spool and notice the sag/dip in the middle of the spool  I was just chasing my tail as to what the cause was?

I have the reel serviced every year after coming back from Mexico. Though the reel never gets dunked there is always spray and some sand. So I take it in and it gets a thorough cleaning. The shop that does it is excellent, and have been in business for 40 years with the same 2 guys so they have a LOT of experience with all of the brands. He surf fishes so he knows what is needed. I have 2 more days of fishing and I am going to re-spool with the 65 pound Tuff Line I have before going out this morning. I have not been casting into the wind and have been fortunate to have the wind to my back pretty much every morning. The other reel I have is of a different brand and is a 6500 series and it has  had zero issues with wind knots. 

Thanks Gumption, let me know how you make out.  The reason I asked if the reel was serviced was because one year it worked fine and the following not so much.  Which makes me think something may not me seated correctly or installed properly after service.  Was the shop Minerva's by chance?

tony    

11 hours ago, PENN Fishing said:

Thanks Gumption, let me know how you make out.  The reason I asked if the reel was serviced was because one year it worked fine and the following not so much.  Which makes me think something may not me seated correctly or installed properly after service.  Was the shop Minerva's by chance?

tony    

I am from the Chicago area, so it was done by a shop called Corens near Chicago. These guys have cleaned and repaired all of the other gear for 20 years and I have never had any issues. There is probably 60 years total experience between the 2 guys that work there on every type of reel made.

Well...it was wind knot hell today. Casting a 3 ounce lure with no wind and 65 pound test Tuff braid. I probably cut out 10 wind knots in 15 casts...just using double uni knots to be able to keep fishing. Is this reel cursed because after I retied for the 10th time I of course get another wind knot...but I was so pissed I just kept fishing with the wind knot...and never had another one after that. Yeah...as long as there was a wind knot it never happened again. Every wind knot seems to be happening in the first 20-30 yards, and when I cut out the wind knots that did happen it was only a few inches of line lost. 

Spool was not over filled. When I changed the line it was put on tight with a wet wash cloth pinching the line against the rod even adding even more tension and still there is a sag in the middle, I have attached a picture to show what is going on. This is driving me crazy!

PennII.jpg