ferret

Massachusettes Marinas

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

So if I was to be working in Bridgewater MA next summer and wanted to slip my boat for the summer which way do I go?  Quincy harbor?  Near the canal?  Cape?  RI?

22' CC and I'll fish for everything from seabass to bft

Edited by ferret

Sounds like the canal area is a sound bet. For stripers, Buzzards Bay is pretty much phenomenal from April till July. Cape Cod Bay is a short ride for bass or tuna, and spring bottom fishing in buzzards is tough to beat. 

42 mins ago, Seadogg said:

Sounds like the canal area is a sound bet. For stripers, Buzzards Bay is pretty much phenomenal from April till July. Cape Cod Bay is a short ride for bass or tuna, and spring bottom fishing in buzzards is tough to beat. 

I was thinking the canal too, but there is only one marina on the north side, Sandwich Marina which seems to have waiting list, anybody know how long I'd have to wait to get in?  btw, they charge like $20 a year to be on the waiting list????  The marinas in Buzzards bay seem more reasonable.  I'm used to Jersey which almost as bad as Florida with marinas everywhere.

Even mid to eastern buzzards bay is good. You’ve got New Bedford and Fairhaven, but there’s Wareham and Onset too, with the latter two right in the middle of season-long action. 

On 11/7/2019 at 5:29 PM, ferret said:

I was thinking the canal too, but there is only one marina on the north side, Sandwich Marina which seems to have waiting list, anybody know how long I'd have to wait to get in?  btw, they charge like $20 a year to be on the waiting list????  The marinas in Buzzards bay seem more reasonable.  I'm used to Jersey which almost as bad as Florida with marinas everywhere.

I believe its somewhere upwards of 25 years wait.  I'm on the wait list at Sesuit Harbor which is up around 38 years now lol

On 11/6/2019 at 7:55 PM, ferret said:

So if I was to be working in Bridgewater MA next summer and wanted to slip my boat for the summer which way do I go?  Quincy harbor?  Near the canal?  Cape?  RI?

22' CC and I'll fish for everything from seabass to bft

Just remember you can't fish from a boat in the canal.

Being in Bridgewater basically puts you in a Central location to all fishing in the areas you mention. (roughly one hour drive from all ) IMO - with a 22 footer I would trailer and ramp launch wherever the bite is or whatever fish you wish to target through the summer ! And it would be cheaper !

8 hours ago, bails said:

Being in Bridgewater basically puts you in a Central location to all fishing in the areas you mention. (roughly one hour drive from all ) IMO - with a 22 footer I would trailer and ramp launch wherever the bite is or whatever fish you wish to target through the summer ! And it would be cheaper !

x2.  

On 1/25/2020 at 10:59 AM, MakoMike said:

Just remember you can't fish from a boat in the canal.

yea, i saw those regs, is it reasonable to think you can fish both north and south of the canal if you're slipped really close to the canal, or is the crossing too long

Edited by ferret

On 1/25/2020 at 0:11 PM, bails said:

On 1/25/2020 at 8:59 PM, Captain Tuttle said:

x2.  

Thanks for responding, and it does make a lot of sense, however, I have to no off water parking, and my daily drivers are too weak to tow the boat around

8 hours ago, ferret said:

yea, i saw those regs, is it reasonable to think you can fish both north and south of the canal if you're slipped really close to the canal, or is the crossing too long

No not unreasonable, but its going to feel like it takes forever to get there.

if trailering isn’t an option, i’d go south.  like suggested above - new bedford, fair haven etc.  one cuz that avoids (more of) the newport/watch hill and cape summer traffic but also cuz the fisheries north of the cape vs south of the cape are very different.  i think the similarities between s of the cape and nj may make it better/easier for you with familiarity, technique, gear/tackle etc (??).  just a thought.  anyway, that’s what i’d do if i was in bridgewater for the summer and couldn’t trailer.