BrianBM

The Most Interesting Political News of the Day.

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Jeff Sessions is apparently going to announce a new electoral bid for his old Senate seat, now held by the Senate's single most vulnerable Democrat, Doug Jones.

This is going to be far and away the most intriguing rematch possible. Alabama was, is and (I assume) will continue to be Trump Country. But if Sessions wins a primary (and I don't know who else is running), will the President stand mute, or oppose Sessions and even conceivably say good words about Doug Jones? He hates Sessions, hates him with a passion. Sessions is an old-fashioned conservative, his positions on things like immigration and abortion are what any conservative could want, but he also acted as the Canons of Ethics indicate he should act during the Mueller investigation. That means he wasn't acting as a Presidential butler, so now he's "human scum," to quote the President's description of Republicans outside the Cult.

I assume the President would rather support anyone than Sessions. But what about Judge Moore? Is he running again? I'm sure the Alabama state GOP would rather run anyone else in the general election, but what if Moore does jump in?  He has a solid and fiercely loyal base, which is probably also quite Trumpian. I haven't read that Moore is running again, but there has got to be a certain grudge against Sessions, held by people who are inside the Cult. If Moore's the alternative, a fair number of people will take him. Judge Moore certainly has to be aware of that. He's got to be tempted.

Every big election year brings a few amazing sideshow contests. This could be the liveliest.

Jones is toast if anyone runs as a Rep even Roy Moore. Trump will carry the state easily. There will be a Rep primary that’s where it will be interesting as far as who Trump supports in it.

If Sessions wins the primary I think Trump will just ignore the state if Sessions wins the primary.

7 mins ago, Jay Dog said:

Jones is toast if anyone runs as a Rep even Roy Moore. Trump will carry the state easily. There will be a Rep primary that’s where it will be interesting as far as who Trump supports in it.

If Sessions wins the primary I think Trump will just ignore the state if Sessions wins the primary.

I wonder. Moore might run as a pro-Trump independent.

Absent a 3d party candidate, and assuming Moore were to win, would President Trump rather embrace Moore, with a history of complaints of child abuse, or stand aside and not help Moore, lest it damage his own brand nationally?

I disagree Brian. Sessions was a good Senator. A lousy choice as attorney general. Not enough backbone to deal with the career bureaucrats. 

He wont be an angry old RINO like John McCain either. 

I say Sessions runs. And Trump endorses him. Senators are too important and Trump knows that. He doesn’t need another McCain or Romney in his second term. 

We will see. I think the President hates his guts beyond all else, and that the President is not that concerned for the GOP as a whole. If it supports him, good, if someone goes outside or just demonstrates an intention to be politically independent of him, he'll denounce the politician in question to his base. Human scum, and so on.

It'll be an interesting thing to watch.

I also wonder if the Libertarians will nominate another stoner candidate. Weld was perfectly coherent last time around, but the other guy - name forgotten now - was on TV and very much under the influence, once or twice. I was counting on Marianne Williamson to provide a comic input into the Democratic panels, but she seems to have dropped out. Watching her appear on SNL in a crystal was hilarious (which cast member was that, anyway?) 

2 mins ago, BrianBM said:

It'll be an interesting thing to watch.

I also wonder if the Libertarians will nominate another stoner candidate. Weld was perfectly coherent last time around, but the other guy - name forgotten now - was on TV and very much under the influence, once or twice. I was counting on Marianne Williamson to provide a comic input into the Democratic panels, but she seems to have dropped out. Watching her appear on SNL in a crystal was hilarious (which cast member was that, anyway?) 

Gary Johnson is the man you are looking for.

Marianne is still in.  Saw her registering in NH the other day for name on ballot.  Don't think she will make the debates though.