Ftyer

Rod Blank Reccomendation

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

So I’d like to build a nine weight rod this year for fishing the salt that’s 10 feet in length (not a totally firm number but I’d like at least that). I’ve built a rod before and have the general idea, but I’ve been having trouble locating many blanks in the ten foot range. 

If anyone has any reccomendations of where to look, it would be really appreciate. 

Yes unfortunately there is not many blanks in that length/weight!

Bloke XLeNT 10' 9wt four piece from UK (~$125 +post) Its Common Cents data are: IP201g, AA68

Red Truck Diesel 1367-4 is a four piece Double Hand 13'6" (~$200). Its full length CCS data are: IP190g, AA67.

Using top three sections and shortening about 4" from the butt section to 10'1" length makes it IP186g AA64.

Using top three sections and shortening 4" from tip to 10'1" it comes bit stiffer IP197g and action change fuller AA60.

If you buy two 1367-4 it is possible to get six different rods: Full length 13'6" DH and cutting other tip for example 5 inches shorter get 13'1' DH as well.

Building short handle to third section you get full length 10"5 and using shorter tip 10ft single hand rods.

Cutting other butt section from the middle and building handle to it you get 12ft and 11'7" Switch rods.

Esa

If you do not mind rod being two piece, searching "lure and bait etc" rods opens lots of options which usually are also cheaper than fly rod blanks. If you bring your own line fishing shops should allow you to test cast rods? If not you can take the same weight you hang with your own rods and get very good idea what king action and stiffness the rod has and when you weight tip section(s) you can get data to help choosing.

The handles of "orher style" rods are usually so heavily built that scaling them does not tell much. There are rods where is a glassfiber tube extension built inside the handle and only easy quarantee to avoid it without destroying handle is to buy rod which has naked blank section between reel seat and bottom handle.

Esa

Another thought would be to look for a fast action 10' , 8 wt with the intention of overlining as 8 wts in this length seem more common. 

I have several fast 10' rods I use in the salt and they all get overlined .   Your style/preference may vary. 

PS.  I do get the "joy of building "thing.  I used to wrap many of my own.Still,   do your math first though, often case today is that you save little/no money in building vs buying . For example you can get a brand new factory 10' 8wt Orvis Recon for $350 right now. Leftover 9.5 and 10' T&T NSII  8 wts (which DEFINITELY need overlining) can be had for $100 more.

Edited by WeeHooker

10x9's are not common.I have a Sage 10x9 XP that is an absolute beast of a rod....love it ,but I don't think Sage has any 10' rods in their lineup right now that are heavier than an 8wt.I bust out the 10X9 when it gets windy,big seas or big fish.The 10' 8wt,btw, is my go-to rod for most SW.

My most recent 10' build was on a CTS blank and I can't say enough good things about it.It is very light in hand,feels 2 wts lighter than it is and the power is awesome!

Lookup "HL" on the site here as he knows ppl at CTS.

My two most recent builds were on CTS and I couldn't be happier and this coming from a guy w/ 20-some Sage builds.

These are all great recommendations and it’s really putting into perspective how difficult this rod might be to obtain. 

While im crafty, I don’t trust myself to start modifying blanks just yet. 

Interesting point about using lure/bait rods as fly rods...is that something commonly done? It’s news to me either way and I’m curious. 

Also, I’m not opposed to dropping down to an 8wt and have zero issues with a two piece rod (kinda prefer them in a lot of cases), so I’ll start digging around at the T&T as well as some of the other suggestions. 

I really appreciate the help and will take any other feedback that’s out there. 

4 mins ago, slip n slide said:

10x9's are not common.I have a Sage 10x9 XP that is an absolute beast of a rod....love it ,but I don't think Sage has any 10' rods in their lineup right now that are heavier than an 8wt.I bust out the 10X9 when it gets windy,big seas or big fish.The 10' 8wt,btw, is my go-to rod for most SW.

My most recent 10' build was on a CTS blank and I can't say enough good things about it.It is very light in hand,feels 2 wts lighter than it is and the power is awesome!

Lookup "HL" on the site here as he knows ppl at CTS.

My two most recent builds were on CTS and I couldn't be happier and this coming from a guy w/ 20-some Sage builds.

This is very good advice as well. Thank you!

As for using non-fly rod blanks or modifying them.  I've done a few.  It can work very well. Or not.  

The risk in building a custom rod is that it's hard to find one to cast before investing. Without casting, or at least allot of respectable recommendations you are running a crap shoot as to how it will suit YOU .

Been there-Done that.

IMHO, if you buy a little proven and or modify a blank:

1) you might get a great rod and save a few shekels in the process.

2)  You might get a rod that you hate  and can't get  even 1/2 your investment back.

I've had both experiences in my 25 years of building experience  These days, I won't build a rod unless I have cast it's factory equivalent first. Mostly though, I just buy factory rods as they usually come with a return policy. 

Edited by WeeHooker

A lot comes from what action you want from the rod/blank.Personnally I'm a softer action caster.While I do have fast action rods.My favorite is an old Lamiglas IM7000 9wt.91/2' that is long out of manufacture.I've rewrapped the guides 3 times and cork twice.I'm now looking like you to a degree.I'm looking at steelhead casting blanks as an alternative.The CTS line may fit the bill too.Thanks other posters[I forgot] about CTS.I'll be dropping a line to Herb.

I’m glad I’m not the only one in this boat! It’s odd to me how few 10 foot models exist that aren’t two handed rods. CTS very may be where I go but don’t mind hearing other opinions as well.

I have zero experience with the brand, but I did see a 10 foot eight weight for about a hundred bucks from a company called “Rainshadow.” I’m sorta thinking they might be one of those mass produced companies without much quality but haven’t a clue. If anyone has experience with their rods/blanks, I’d love to hear about it. 

Thank you all for contributing to this thread and I’m excited that this discussion has lead to so much info already!

Way back when I made a Sage RPL 10’ 9 weight for beach fishing. It excelled with # 4 sci angler shooting head and 30# braid runningline, great estuary bay and river rod. Real nice with a long belly floating line as well.Fantastic on the mend when swinging flies.

The one drawback was the torque it generated on my poor shoulder, it wasn’t a distance rod at least for me. 

My 9’ 9’s and 10’s fared much better . Just my 2 cents on a 10’ single  handed rod in the salt.

i’ve been using an 11.5’ 8 wt switch and my shoulder appreciates it more.

4 mins ago, Ftyer said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one in this boat! It’s odd to me how few 10 foot models exist that aren’t two handed rods. CTS very may be where I go but don’t mind hearing other opinions as well.

I have zero experience with the brand, but I did see a 10 foot eight weight for about a hundred bucks from a company called “Rainshadow.” I’m sorta thinking they might be one of those mass produced companies without much quality but haven’t a clue. If anyone has experience with their rods/blanks, I’d love to hear about it. 

Thank you all for contributing to this thread and I’m excited that this discussion has lead to so much info already!

I have a couple of Rainshadow blanks I built for spinning rods and they are fine.Contact HL right here for the CTS blanks.I know him quite well.He's a very straight shooter and a fine man.

You could use a 9’ blank, but cut a 13-14” section from another throw away blank with the correct OD so that you can slip into the butt of your 9’ blank and secure it with epoxy. A full Wells grip, reel seat and fighting butt will easily cover all of the butt blank insert. I think it might make the resulting rod a bit slower in action overall, and the butt section will be longer than the tip section .... but if you do it right, the splice will be covered by the grip so, cosmetically, it will look fine. 

St. Croix had a 8wt 10' or maybe a 9wt.  Don't remember.  Mudhole recently had a closeout sale on their blanks including the one I just mentioned.  However it appears to be sold out.  Might be worth looking around to see if someone else has one.  I believe the blank was part of their SCII/SCIV line.

19 mins ago, qecfly said:

St. Croix had a 8wt 10' or maybe a 9wt.  Don't remember.  Mudhole recently had a closeout sale on their blanks including the one I just mentioned.  However it appears to be sold out.  Might be worth looking around to see if someone else has one.  I believe the blank was part of their SCII/SCIV line.

I definitely appreciate that info! Thank you