D1fishr

Is the .40S&W dead?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I think so, you?  Market is flooded with .40s- Glock 22s 23s 27s, Sigs, ammo piling up on shelves, etc. It was never and never will be a 10mm.  9mm is cheaper and has come a long way. I never liked it in compact and subcompact. What say you?  Any .40 dedicated die hards out there?

36 mins ago, mitchell master said:

I've been CCing a Glock 27 since the late 90s.Own two of them and no complaints.

It just seems like the round is falling out of favor. If it works for you, don’t change it. 

My cc is a 40s&w shield

also have full size and compact PX4s in 40

also a CX4 in 40

Edited by ted527

just got rid of 2 of them (for a family member) 9MM ammo has come a long way. i get way more 9mm on target than i could with the 40's also just gave away 5-600 rounds of .40 and sig 357. 

Love my Sig 229 in .40.

My favorite pistol. Just feels right to me.

No issues with snap or accuracy.

I'll love .40 even more when the next rush to hoard event happens.

Those that have them seem very content but I seriously doubt most would buy a .40 again today considering advances in ammo allowing 9mm to be just as capable while more comfortable to shoot.

52 mins ago, Too Close said:

Love my Sig 229 in .40.

My favorite pistol. Just feels right to me.

No issues with snap or accuracy.

I'll love .40 even more when the next rush to hoard event happens.

Fully loaded it weights over 40oz. It better not snap at that weight. Lol

But sig does make a quality gun. Love their 239 in 9mm. 

I own and shoot pistols in 9mm NATO, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP.  I so think the 9mm has pushed the others aside in popularity - at least based on what you see folks buying in gun shops and in ammo stock.  However I do remember that during the ammo shortages of the Obama years that you could find 40 S&W at normal pricing when you had to search for 9mm NATO and pay higher than normal prices for it.  OH

on one of my hog hunts a few years back, a couple of my fellow hunters were carrying 9mm sidearms in addition to the long guns or knives we were hunting with.

One of my friends had a boar bayed up by the dogs and put a few rounds of .300 BLK into the pig's boiler.

The shot was made from the prone in severe tangle. Once it was confirmed "down", they task at hand was to crawl through the brush and pull the beast out of the tangle. My friend had handed off his rifle and kept his 9mm pistol at the ready.

Upon approach of the downed hog, which turned out to be quite large and above 250 lbs, the pig stirred and kicked. 

Carlos - my friend - called out: "It's not dead yet!" and proceeded to apply 9mm brain softeners to the now very pissed off pig.

Two in the memory banks seemed to work.

Carlos the grabbed a ham and proceeded to extricate the hog from its brushed in last refuge.

Once clear of the brush and snappy ribbings about the failure of the .300 blk to live up to its name, the pig stirred back to life squealing and snapping with legs kicking. Call it a zombie pig.

I handed Carlos my HK USP .40 loaded with Remington Golden Saber JHPS.

One shot behind the ear and el puerco loco finally let go of his grip on the earth.

There were other hunts where multiple 9mm headshots at muzzle range were insufficient to disconnect the brain of a pig (a very close human analog).

The .40 S&W is a sledgehammer. It is a one and done proposition when it comes to dispatching piggies.

I will not carry anything less than .40 S&W while hunting and that tops .357 mag as well.