FinsUp1201

Question for PA guys

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I have to take my daughter to Albright college, Reading PA the weekend before thanksgiving.  I was thinking of bringing my kayak to do some freshwater fishing Friday and Saturday while she is doing her thing.  A quick check looks like blue marsh lake may be the best closest option.  I’m mostly a saltwater guy but do a little freshwater on the Island so I have an assortment of bass and trout lures.  Is that a viable option that time of year, don’t really care what I’m catching as long as I have some action. If it’s an option is basing best bet or should I try something else, is there a better place fairly close to where I’d be.

thanks for any advice or help- Bob

Edited by FinsUp1201

Thanks for the info Jim, I guess if the weather allows blue marsh will be the spot, is November still good on that lake, and do you know how the launches are for out of towners?

I dont know the lake but there are plenty of launches.  There is trout fishing on the other side of the dam. From what I hear you want to fish the skinny parts of the lake check it out on google earth.. definitely lots of fish there. 

They drop the water level this time of year but, all the launches will be open. Blue marsh is strange I've done well bass fishing at times  other times the fishing is poor. People do fish the lake hard for bass, they have tournaments all summer long. Also duck hunting is big on that lake and it will open when your planning on being there.

Another option is French creek state park. It's just a little south of Reading. 

There's 2 lakes there, one has warm water fish. The other is smaller and is stocked with trout. French creek would be my recommendation for you to check out.

I would choose French Creek as well.  Try working the outside weed lines.  Maybe a bit late for that but could still be warm enough.  Blue Marsh is tough fishing and doesn't have that great of a bass population.

On 11/8/2019 at 7:39 PM, Jim McFeeley said:

I dont know the lake but there are plenty of launches.  There is trout fishing on the other side of the dam. From what I hear you want to fish the skinny parts of the lake check it out on google earth.. definitely lots of fish there. 

Except at this point in the year you are gonna have trouble launching a boat

On 11/6/2019 at 4:42 PM, FinsUp1201 said:

I have to take my daughter to Albright college, Reading PA the weekend before thanksgiving.  I was thinking of bringing my kayak to do some freshwater fishing Friday and Saturday while she is doing her thing.  A quick check looks like blue marsh lake may be the best closest option.  I’m mostly a saltwater guy but do a little freshwater on the Island so I have an assortment of bass and trout lures.  Is that a viable option that time of year, don’t really care what I’m catching as long as I have some action. If it’s an option is basing best bet or should I try something else, is there a better place fairly close to where I’d be.

thanks for any advice or help- Bob

Lake level is down for the winter.  The Tulpy is stocked and has alot of the fish from the lake mixed in the closer tou get to the lake.  Plenty of places to stop and fish in that area.  Some areas are artificial lures only.  You also have antietam lake which gets stocked with trout and lake onelanee north of reading, no boats or yaks though. There is a resivior near Albright that they have caught snake heads out of.  Also have the schulyl river.  

Yeah, as stated already, Blue Marsh level is down for the winter.  I think French Creek was drawn down also, not sure what the status is right now.  If you're looking to kayak, probably the Schuylkill would be my vote.  You could look into launching at Jim Dietrich Park just north of Reading, the river is pretty slow there and deep...easy to paddle around and back to the launch.  I don't really fish the Schuylkill past like October, so not sure how the fishing is.  Worth a try though.

On 11/14/2019 at 11:26 PM, FinsUp1201 said:

Thanks for the info Derrick, I’m definitely looking for places I can fish with the yak though. I fish artificials only anyway so that’s fine.

There is a little lake near honeybrook in Hibernia Park.  I've never fished there though.  That would be right down 176 or 10 from Reading.

And there is a nice little lake up in Hamburg near cabelas too.  Think it Kertchner or something close to that.

Edited by DerrickT

Thanks for all the help guys, hoping the weather is decent enough to fish, I’m going to research those option Derrick thanks.  A trip to Cabelas would be a nice plus too forgot there was one up that way