MikeM58

Interesting Ballot item in Kansas City

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

So yesterday there was a ballot item in Kansas City asking the residents about the name of a street.  Not just any street and not just any name.  "The Paseo" is a historic 10 mile boulevard that has part of it listed in the National Register of Historic Places.  It was the city's first boulevard and commissioned in 1899.  Around nine months ago the city council voted (without asking the residents) to change the name of The Paseo to Martin Luther King Boulevard and it passed.  Many residents were outraged that the council acted on their own to do this.  A petition was circulated to have a vote on the name of the street put on this week's ballot.  It was and the Martin L King name lost by a landslide (30% to keep 70% to change it back).  Of course, now the organizers of the petition are being accused of being racist.  They say, they are all for honoring Dr. King in some way, but they didn't like the way the city took it upon themselves to rename a historic street. 

What say you?  Are the people who voted to change the name of the street back just racist, or concerned citizens?  Should the city just have the right to do something like that?   

7 mins ago, MikeM58 said:

What say you?  Are the people who voted to change the name of the street back just racist, or concerned citizens?  

impossible to answer based only on the information provided.

8 mins ago, MikeM58 said:

Should the city just have the right to do something like that?   

As long as the citizens have the right and a way to overturn the decision of the city council I don't see the problem.

I would think that changing the name of anything on the historic registry would require more than just a city council vote.

10 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

impossible to answer based only on the information provided.

I just gave out the info I had from an article I read.  Race is such a hot button topic.  If the council had changed the name to Harry Truman Blvd, would there have been an outcry?  I don't know.  Change is hard, and doubly so when it comes to history.

8 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

As long as the citizens have the right and a way to overturn the decision of the city council I don't see the problem.

I would think that changing the name of anything on the historic registry would require more than just a city council vote.

I agree, it's just interesting how the dynamic of what happened changed because of the Dr King name.  Cries of racist went out right away.  

4 mins ago, MikeM58 said:

I agree, it's just interesting how the dynamic of what happened changed because of the Dr King name.  Cries of racist went out right away.  

Only one way to fight it.  Look them in the eye and tell them with all the sincerity you can muster, "I dont give one good GD what you think of me".  Its harsh, but if you mean it, it works.

12 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

I would agree if something is on the National Historic Register it should take more than a city council vote. A cross street or park area around it could have been used for the name.

1 min ago, Jay Dog said:

I would agree if something is on the National Historic Register it should take more than a city council vote. A cross street or park area around it could have been used for the name.

From what I understand, it's only a short section (less than a mile) that's on the register.  The whole blvd is 10 miles long.

8 mins ago, MikeM58 said:

I wonder if there are exit polls? 

6 mins ago, Billybob said:

Was this Dr. King some kind of KC local boy?

What if they named it George Brett Blvd?

Well, you've got the Negro League Hall of Fame in Kansas City, so if they didn't name it after Josh Gibson there would be an outcry if they named it after Brett I imagine.  This is how the world works these days.