kyleeng

Would like to take a trip to long island

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I started surf fishing late last year in Jersey. The state of fishing is pretty poor here, so I figured I'd take some trips to long island. If I'm making the long trip, I was hoping to get some insight of where some good spots are... By no means am I spot burning, but I would like some more information.

A big problem here has been beach replenishment... are there beaches like this in long island that I should be avoiding? Additionally, I'm looking to mainly fish sandy beaches. Are there any beaches that are very rocky that I should be avoiding? I mainly fish shad, bucktails, and tins.

I don't think I'm looking to hop on any rocks because I don't own any korkers. I wouldn't mind fishing next to a few jetties though.

I was looking at Jones Beach, but I'm willing to go as far east as Fire Island. 

Advice? Thank you.

2 mins ago, kyleeng said:

Hi All,

I started surf fishing late last year in Jersey. The state of fishing is pretty poor here, so I figured I'd take some trips to long island. If I'm making the long trip, I was hoping to get some insight of where some good spots are... By no means am I spot burning, but I would like some more information.

A big problem here has been beach replenishment... are there beaches like this in long island that I should be avoiding? Additionally, I'm looking to mainly fish sandy beaches. Are there any beaches that are very rocky that I should be avoiding? I mainly fish shad, bucktails, and tins.

I don't think I'm looking to hop on any rocks because I don't own any korkers. I wouldn't mind fishing next to a few jetties though.

I was looking at Jones Beach, but I'm willing to go as far east as Fire Island. 

Advice? Thank you.

For once, there are fish around but nothing worth the trip in my opinion.  However, if you still need to get out, I would call Causeway Bait and Tackle in Wantagh.  Tell them you are considering the trip out here.  I am pretty sure they will be more than happy to help and to get your business.  Good luck!

Btw......beach replenishment doesn't help but it is not the blame.  The main culprit is the lack of fish.  Fish over 30" from the beach shouldn't be as rare as unicorns and don't even get me started about the lack of bluefish.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Stick to Jones and Fire Island. Sandy beaches. Jones-West end 2 jetty. No access on jetty but can fish parallel. Quick drive to Robert Moses. Same as Jones Beach. 

If you want a good day of fishing and hanging out at the beach, your two choices will work. No parking at night though. 

Have fun and pack some food.

Edited by Nite_Bite_00
mistake

You are going the wrong way.  If I were you I would take a drive along raritan bay, ocean ave, route 35, etc. Call up a few shops to see if you can get any intel on sand eels in the area.  There are a few places in NJ that's not replenished, not hard to figure out where.  Between that, inlet, river, and back bays, you have tons of options. 

Is the grass always greener on other other side? Go to the reports thread in the Jersey forum and youll typically see skunks. Even me, the past 2 weekends I went out, I got 1 striper each trip. That made me pretty happy, as most trips I'm not getting anything.

There is definitely baitfish around here, but there doesn't ever seem to be any fish on them. Going on the keansburg pier during the summer. My god. Schools of bunker so thick, it's a guarantee snag every time.

If I get more than 1 fish in long island, I'd be pretty happy. With that being said, is it just as bad there?

I'm with Hobo on this, we're into the tail end of the run, whereas farther South it's still close to peak on the Fall Run.  There's death rats and shad here if you still try, but if you want better fish, I'd look South...

Between toll, gas, and traffic jams, yes.  Good look up those captree boat reports, when they said fish up to how many inches that means it's the biggest of the day. Usually that number goes by LB, not inches, and it's on a full party boat.  :laugh: 

There is no such thing as only 1 fish when you find sandeels.  You just need to find out where.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just to give you guys examples of the last 2 pages of the NJ reports thread regarding bait (some irrelevant parts edited out):

...First spot I hit bunker were off shore and on the move...Looked like the school was getting closer further south so back to the car.  Next spot they were closer but out of reach...Chased them again and got to a spot where they were just on the edge of casting range with an ava.  All I could get was a couple of snagged adult bunker before they moved out.  Thought this might be the morning...

NJ is a safe passage zone for all bait fish. They posted the sign last week in the Raritan. No bass shall eat any bunker in our Waters. 

What a joke. 

There was a load of bunker out front on all the beach Cams  this morning.  

Tons and tons of bait with birds working on them well out of casting range in SoMoCo. Fished along jetties from 12:30-1:30 with no love. Did see a whale break with some smaller bunker pods moving closer to shore...

Just to give you all an idea of how hot the fishing is....... Club tournament results from last weekend Wednesday to Sunday, 30" fish minimum.

Between Shark River, Asbury, Spring Lake, MB Cartoppers, Berkeley and Bradley - 1 fish @ 10#s was caught.

To @hobobob's point, I'm sure if we find the sand eels, this wouldn't be an issue. So maybe we all suck. They say 10% of angles catch 90% of fish. In our case, that certainly seems to be the case. 

I guess just to drive home what I've experienced and what others have too, the bait is here. We either just suck and can't get the game fish to bite what we're throwing or they're just not on the bait onshore.

Edited by kyleeng

7 mins ago, kyleeng said:

Just to give you guys examples of the last 2 pages of the NJ reports thread regarding bait (some irrelevant parts edited out):

To @hobobob's point, I'm sure if we find the sand eels, this wouldn't be an issue. So maybe we all suck. They say 10% of angles catch 90% of fish. In our case, that certainly seems to be the case. 

I guess just to drive home what I've experienced and what others have too, the bait is here. We either just suck and can't get the game fish to bite what we're throwing or they're just not on the bait onshore.

They are chase a ghost, ask them how many rats they C&R?  They want big fish on bunker. You are not.  It could happen, but don't hold your breath.   I'll give you a freebie, always fish a teaser. 

It may be better to take a trip down to South Jersey then coming to Long Island.

5 hours ago, kyleeng said:

Is the grass always greener on other other side?

Yes, it is.

And I mean not just for you, but for lots of us here.

Myself included.

That could be 3 days worth of shooting or 7 hours of fishing jammed into a 5 minute video making you think they are studs.

I'm in tight with several youtubers here on long island, night looks like night and your rod looks like your rod...so 3 days of fishing keeps the viewer thinking they struck gold in 5 mins.

Its all clever editing my man.