Jay in the Bay

Family Tree Research??

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Has anyone done successful research on their family trees?  

I'm not talking about the swab your cheek DNA thing, but the other kind, that takes some research.

How did you start off and what resources did you use?  Ancestry.com or a similar site?  

How were they in retrieving the documents and info necessary?

Thanks!!

We did some lineage research years ago, following both sides of the family.

Mother's side traced back to one of the founders of the Sinn Fenn party in Ireland

Father's side traced back to the 1600-1700's where our forefather was taken by American Indians and brought up north near Canada.

One funny thing we found out was that my godparents (my father's younger brother and his wife) had a connecting history 1-2 generations before. It seems that a member of her grandparents family was married to a member of his grandparents family. MY godmother had a hand-sewn lace tablecloth that was given to her grandfather as part of the wedding dowry. It is close to 100 years old and still looks as good as when it was first made.

My mother has a Canadian cousin who’s a professional genealogist and for her 50th birthday traced our family roots back to Viking King Harald FairHair, first king of Norway 872-930. 

To do the research he reviewed public records and family bibles in Canada, Iceland, Denmark and Norway. It took him 3 years to complete. 

BTW, this is main character in the popular Vikings TV series. 

OK boB, I’m ready for your topper comments. :bigeyes:

I’m pretty sure my ancestors were raping and pillaging FishermanTim’s ancestors in Ireland. 

44 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

We did some lineage research years ago, following both sides of the family.

Mother's side traced back to one of the founders of the Sinn Fenn party in Ireland

Father's side traced back to the 1600-1700's where our forefather was taken by American Indians and brought up north near Canada.

How did you do your research?

27 mins ago, Wayne Tj said:

My mother has a Canadian cousin who’s a professional genealogist and for her 50th birthday traced our family roots back to Viking King Harald FairHair, first king of Norway 872-930. 

To do the research he reviewed public records and family bibles in Canada, Iceland, Denmark and Norway. It took him 3 years to complete. 

This doesn't surprise me. The few here who give you a hard time are obviously just jealous common folk. Good Day King,  :howdy:   

11 mins ago, Terry Mac said:

This doesn't surprise me. The few here who give you a hard time are obviously just jealous common folk. Good Day King,  :howdy:   

Patronizing a king is against Viking Rules

I signed up for ancestry.com, did the DNA and the family tree; the family tree thing was fun to do for a bit.  Once you make a few connections you can peer into other peoples connected family trees that help you flesh out your own.  The German and English/Irish records went way back to like the 15-1600s here in the US as well as Europe.  The Italian records stopped with my great grandfather immigrating from sicily to staten italy. 

3 hours ago, Wayne Tj said:

You like to be topped?