MaxKatt

Deep Water Farmed (Non-Hybrid) Stripers

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

31 mins ago, JohnP said:

I would assume these are using a slightly different pacific strain 

The pacific strain comes from New Jersey originally.  So if they are true striped bass they should be the same/similar to what we have over here.

8 mins ago, bbfish said:

The pacific strain comes from New Jersey originally.  So if they are true striped bass they should be the same/similar to what we have over here.

the pacific strain came from NJ but how many years ago 

not sure to what extent they now exhibit different qualities 

11 mins ago, JohnP said:

the pacific strain came from NJ but how many years ago 

not sure to what extent they now exhibit different qualities 

If i recall correctly like 130ish years ago?  Certainly not a biologist so not sure how much they would evolve over that period of time.

14 mins ago, bbfish said:

If i recall correctly like 130ish years ago?  Certainly not a biologist so not sure how much they would evolve over that period of time.

as an example I know a brown trout spawned in the wild is a very different fish from the hatchery variety, even though they can and do both live in the same rivers 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

Look a lot like hybrids to me.  The broken stripes are a give away.

Might be.  Writer usually doesn't create the headline, and it wouldn't surprise me if a photo department was tasked with spicing this up with a photo...without realizing SOL people could note visual differences between Hybrid and Not-Hybrid.

Bottom line, I won't think for sure that's a pic of the fish in the piece.  Goof if they did that, but not horrible one.

CORRECTION...  That is THE FISH.  When I blow the photo up I see Pacifico tags on it.     ...We need West Coast forum member to comment here. 

Edited by MaxKatt

9 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

Look a lot like hybrids to me.  The broken stripes are a give away.

incorrect, we have Striped Bass here that are 100% Morone Saxatilis.  The reason they have broken lines happens when they are raised from Fry in hatcheries and something genetically happens to the stripes.   All of the Stripers we have in Northern California come from the Navesink River that came across the country via train in the 1890s.  In the Early 90's we had a Striper Club that was funding the cost of raising Striper smolts and they were showing up with broken lines.   Those smolts were released out here and since have spawned with the NJ strain of Stripers and we sometimes get stripers with solid lines or with broken lines.  I have talked to a marine biologist and he told me that the hatchery grown stripers have a high incidence of getting broken lines, that some hatcheries in the East Coast have shown same results. 

9 hours ago, JohnP said:

I would assume these are using a slightly different pacific strain 

I have talked to the Pacifico Aquaculture in great detail.  What they are doing is for 100% human consumption, they have zero intention to release any of this Stripers to the wild.  They are raised in Baja California Mexico(Santos Island) in old Tuna Pens in the Pacific Ocean until they reach the size for consumption.  (3-4 years) They are getting there smolts from a hatchery which is why they have broken lines, they control the fish from egg to your plate.  You can find these Striped Bass showing up in markets like Whole Foods, restaurants and many other outlets.   They genetically control what they get and strive to have the best genetic portfolio from the healthiest and strongest strain. 

Vacapic1.jpg