Ryan08rb

November fall run

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey everybody I have a charter planned On November 23rd out of LBI and was wondering if you guys think that’s still a great time to be out and catch some good size fish. Also this will be my first time out in the ocean and November and I was seeing what you guys suggest as layers burning sure it changes by the day but thank you for the help! Much appreciated!

Edited by Ryan08rb

Perfect time. Catch em up. Get some moisture wicking thermals as a base layer, bundle up with whatever you want from there with some thick socks (maybe even two pairs), and a windproof top. If you think you're bundled up enough, add another layer. You can always take layers off once you are out there. It could be 30 degrees with a 20 mph blow, and then you'll know what cold feels like for 8 hours. Hard to pay attention to fishing when you're thinking about how cold you are.

Like hurricane said it can be very cold.  It’s different than just being cold on land, you’re going to be running in a boat so simulating constant wind and add to that you’ll be getting sprayed.  Take a look at the forecast for the morning lows, and dress for 10 degrees colder and make sure you have an outer shell (water proof jacket and pants/bibs) to shield the wind and water.  Chances are you’ll be baking later in the day but you can always strip layers off.  

I wish I had my thermal Pullover hood years ago.

Wool gloves are very handy...……  I have 2 pairs with me.  One I wear and a second pair I keep under my jacket.  Swap them out when they get a bit wet or cold...…  I use the mitten stlye that flip up to expose finger tips when you need to tie a knot or something.

You're on a boat with sonar and an experienced captain who's reputation is based on whethet you catch fish or not...…….  You're good to go....

Layer well, make sure you got some waterproof bibs and a jacket over it.  when it's real nasty out, I bring another pair of boots or flip flops so your feet can warm up in the cabin, or swap boots to wake up those toes.

Just now, Ryan08rb said:

I do t have bibs but I have some good thick waders I use for fishing those will work!

No, you could die if you fell off the boat wearing waders. Don't wear waders on the boat.

You probably won’t fall off or die but you’d look like a complete doofus. Maybe someone you know has some water proof pants? Maybe a pair of snow pants laying around? They’re not essential but you’ll be wishing you had some. 

19 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

No, you could die if you fell off the boat wearing waders. Don't wear waders on the boat.

how would the waders cause his death?

Edited by kurazy kracka

Odds of falling off the boat are low but I mean if you fall off the boat wearing waders, I don't think good things will happen. Plus there's going to be dudes who don't know what they are doing swinging who knows what around that could rip your waders anyway.

Edited by hurricane1091

37 mins ago, adams54 said:

Fill up with water and sink

Water in your waders is just as dense as water outside the waders, thats not what sends you to davey jones locker.  If anything the waders will balloon with the air trapped in them at first, would probably terribly difficult to swim, and then you'd drown from exhaustion as you try and keep yourself right-side up. So yea probably somewhat dangerous to wear waders on a boat.  But the odds of you falling in are low and the odds of someone not noticing and pulling you to safety quickly are probably lower.  On the other hand you'd look like a complete boob and the captain would probably be pissed about you marking up their deck with wading boots.

My advice to OP still stands, just find some sort of waterproof/water resistant pants.

5 mins ago, bbfish said:

Water in your waders is just as dense as water outside the waders, thats not what sends you to davey jones locker.  If anything the waders will balloon with the air trapped in them at first, would probably terribly difficult to swim, and then you'd drown from exhaustion as you try and keep yourself right-side up. So yea probably somewhat dangerous to wear waders on a boat.  But the odds of you falling in are low and the odds of someone not noticing and pulling you to safety quickly are probably lower.  On the other hand you'd look like a complete boob and the captain would probably be pissed about you marking up their deck with wading boots.

My advice to OP still stands, just find some sort of waterproof/water resistant pants.

hahahaha I was baiting and hoping someone would say fill up with water and sink.  The buoyancy of water in waders is different than the water outside them.

6 mins ago, bbfish said:

Trash bags