Daylight

If you want higher Catch & Release Survival Rates

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

35 mins ago, Derick Jahnke said:

Single bellie siwash hook on a 4 bead swivel. With trebles you get tons of gill plate hooks on fish thay take short strikes or swipes at plugs. With a single sharp hook on a 4 bead chain placed on the bellie will eliminate those issues. 

Is a bead chain strong enough for a big bass in current?

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Yes, but I quoted the post before reading yours lol. 

Glad everyone is thinking the same thing then!!!

Edited by stripedbassjeff

45 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

Is a bead chain strong enough for a big bass in current?

You can get them in different strengths. Strong ones are used for White Sturgeon that get over 10 ft long and 1k plus pounds.

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

I wouldn't go by that one video.  I also have advised to avoid VMC singles....They're brittle and the geometry is Whack (scientific term)

Way to much effort to set past the barb.  Which is my guess as to what happened in that vid.  

Owners are the standard in the main stream treble alternative.  

I've been talking about the use of inline singles on the forums for years.  I love em.   
I go as large as I can get away with.  I try to match the treble weight without causing fouling.   

I've swapped out hundreds of trebles over the years in favor of singles.  Singles don't translate well on every style of lure.  Some lures like poppers or wake baits need monster singles to be effective 7/0 +  

But if they weren't effective I wouldn't have wasted hundreds of $ on hook and weightier rings to replace them.

But one thing I can say from experience...big fish stay pinned better with singles than with trebles.  

Also worth noting

VMC makes garbage hooks.....their 4x permasteels are about the only product they make that isn't bottom of the barrel.

alibabazon chinesium  hooks are sharper stronger and a fraction of the price.  

Exactly. If single points are good for big old fall Chinook, they'll work on a Bass.

8 hours ago, cartopper said:

Why not ban fisherman . . . you start walking a slippery slope when you start banning things.  Best approach is through education and experience.  But no argument from me that trebles certainly damage fish more than singles and cause the fish to be out of the water, while unhooking, for a longer period of time.

I absolutely agree it is a slippery slope when you start banning things. People should also be careful when recommending education too. (check out what is required to get a fishing license in Germany)

1 hour ago, Derick Jahnke said:

You can get them in different strengths. Strong ones are used for White Sturgeon that get over 10 ft long and 1k plus pounds.

1 kilogram?  Or 1000 lbs?

I am lost at 1k?

White sturgeon hit lures?

4 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Setting the hook is half the fun. ...I read these posts and wonder if some of you guys go fishing? Putting two in line single  J hooks or circle hooks on a plug meant to have two trebles or even three  is asking for missed fish in my opinion. I guess this will be good for conservation though because less fish will be hooked on treble-less plugs. I don’t know about you but I fish hard for these fish. I lose a lot of sleep and miss out on lots of other important stuff just at the opportunity to catch a striper. When I go fishing  I want to catch and do everything in my power to increase my chances. Missing hits and dropping fish, especially large ones, is not what I’m looking for a 2:00 am on a Tuesday morning. 

Get a machinist to make some custom barbed squid hooks for you. You will slay them left and right making that 2 am. Effort worth it. Take lots of pictures. That way future generations can see what a striper looked like before the likely moratorium and collapse .You will feed your ego and can post memories on the new website "ScupOnline":howdy:

6 hours ago, Derick Jahnke said:

Single point, single hook and barbless. That is the only way to treat a catch a release fishery. If you cant fish without trebles, than you have issues. Who cares what Skinner says, he is a seller of product, not an advocate of conservation. The idea that you would have fewer hookups with singles over trebles is a joke, unless you are a snagger. 1 point=more pressure on said point. Learn from Salmon and Steelhead fishermen. Add a beadchain swivel, and tune plugs around it, then you are golden.

You're describing a lure designed to be trolled for salmon, not casted and retrieved for striped bass.  Not the same.  I'd love to see your hookup rate with a big single hook on a 4" bead chain hanging off a danny plug, assuming you could even get it to swim.

11 hours ago, EBHarvey said:

I'm fine with banning trebles for bait fishing, but the majority of lures are designed to have trebles on them and do not/will not work as intended without them.

Do you think it's the weight of the treble vs single or is it the water resistance? 

Bc you can certainly add weight to the split ring on singles if it's just the weight. 

Careful what you wish for, they will ban fishing for them altogether. Trebles have been around forever, the population concerns we have now don't stem from what hooks we fish with. 

There are about a hundred things more productive to change than hook preference. How about we ban fishing on jetties where the fish get banged up being dragged in then pitched 10 feet just to get knocked out cold on a rock.

8 hours ago, EBHarvey said:

You're describing a lure designed to be trolled for salmon, not casted and retrieved for striped bass.  Not the same.  I'd love to see your hookup rate with a big single hook on a 4" bead chain hanging off a danny plug, assuming you could even get it to swim.

I agree.  If you crush the barbs trebles are no big deal.  

7 hours ago, Derick Jahnke said:

Not trolling plug, but lipped plug (trolled and casted). But the concept is the same. Do something to free up the hook and a single point will become much more effective.

I have some of those lures - bought a big lot of them off ebay years ago to experiment with.  they have neat action, but the idea is that they are retrieved at a steady speed and the hook sort of dangles back near the tail of the plug.  not sure you'd have reliable hookups with bass which either hit the head of a lure, or strike on the pause.  regardless, those plugs are designed for that hook setup - striper lures are not, so simply swapping a belly treble out for a single on a chain is going to come with drawbacks.

I'd also be very concerned about fouling on the cast as the hook could easily reach and grab ahold of the leader/clip.

One belly treble with squashed barbs on all plugs. If the plug comes from the manufacturer with 3/0 hooks, use one 4/0- you wont be disappointed with the results. After awhile, you will wonder why you never you never squashed barbs before! - I pray VMC will introduce a totally barbless treble in 9626 permasteel.