Daylight

If you want higher Catch & Release Survival Rates

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

28 mins ago, C.Robin said:

They work very well on all plugs except poppers. If anything, the connection is more secure when you get a hookup. For some reason they don't work that well on poppers, however, I don't think skinner used the correct size in that video. You need to size up at least 2 sizes from the trebles originally on the plug.

If you do that does it hinder the action?

Posted (edited) · Report post

30 mins ago, john1234 said:

If you do that does it hinder the action?

Depends on the plug, wood plugs seem to be impacted more, so it takes trial and error to find the correct inline size and maintain action, which is a giant pain. Plastic plugs like SPs and Mags,  I have noticed very little change with the inlines, 2 sizes up. 

While effective on wood plugs if balanced correctly, I usually just end up keeping the belly treble, removing one hook point, and switching the tail hook to a single. If the plug maker balanced/tested the plugs with inlines initially, it would be a lot easier, but I understand there is little demand for that.

Edited by C.Robin

3 hours ago, C.Robin said:

They work very well on all plugs except poppers. If anything, the connection is more secure when you get a hookup. For some reason they don't work that well on poppers, however, I don't think skinner used the correct size in that video. You need to size up at least 2 sizes from the trebles originally on the plug.

Didn't i just say this? 

ill try upsizing the singles once more on the belly, but the trebles on the yozuri's are so heavy that i doubt ill be able to fit a single as heavy witout going up several sizes. ill buy more over the winter and play with them in the bath....don't judge me on that ;-)

do you remove the nose split ring using a t.a.clip ??  do you use bigger/heavier spits rings on the hooks ?

id rather deal with bigger singles and heavier hardware than trebles any day of the week. love how easy it is to unhook with bucktails and the way it dont mess up the fish much and like the idea of the same ease with plugs.

Edited by jerome gagnon

4 hours ago, stripedbassjeff said:

The new big eye  inline single hooks work just fine. Thing is when replacing trebles increase single hook 2 sizes bigger. They also don't work well with top water baits. So if you use a top water use a single treble in the middle/front, attach 2 split rings and crush barbs. 

Circle you have to customize as well. 1.) Snell all your hooks, 

2.) The knot of none snell hook will get in the way and prevent proper hook placenent.

3.)Hook size matters. 

4.) Match hook size to fish your going to catch. The gap has to bigger then the thickness of basses lip.

5.)Match the size of the hook to the bait your going to use. Balance size based on #4 and #5. 

6.) Make sure barb and hook point are always well exposed with room to move.

7.)Never set the hook. Let the fish hook themselves.  Hold the pole at 45° opposite of the way the fish is running. 

8.) If you think the fish us on the line and slowly running at you or you can't feel it. Slowly reel into the fish till it comes tight.

Hope this helps those who will be new to these type of fishing. Thankyou.

Setting the hook is half the fun. ...I read these posts and wonder if some of you guys go fishing? Putting two in line single  J hooks or circle hooks on a plug meant to have two trebles or even three  is asking for missed fish in my opinion. I guess this will be good for conservation though because less fish will be hooked on treble-less plugs. I don’t know about you but I fish hard for these fish. I lose a lot of sleep and miss out on lots of other important stuff just at the opportunity to catch a striper. When I go fishing  I want to catch and do everything in my power to increase my chances. Missing hits and dropping fish, especially large ones, is not what I’m looking for a 2:00 am on a Tuesday morning. 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

They didn’t reduce highway fatalities by banning cars, building them like tanks or reducing speeds to 20 mph. A single treble hook on the belly of a plug that’s well placed and balanced, hooks and holds better in my experience than two belly hooks.  Most, not all striped bass hit the front of a plug since they swallow larger prey head first. Having a second hook outside the mouth of a hooked fish,in my opinion, causes some fish to get leverage to bend or pull the hook if it catches on the gill plate. 
If some plugs were designed and built with a single treble, I think some people will buy them. Give the market a choice and see where it goes. I fish most of my swimmers with a one treble on the belly. The tail treble is replaced with a single hook or a flag. Does it affect my hook up ratio negatively, I think it does but not greatly, especially with all the schoolies around now. 
There’s not quick fix to reducing catch and release mortality. It may require some tackle usage choices that we may make. Crushed barbs and fewer hooks may cause us to miss a few more hits or drop an occasional fish. If it results in there being more bass to catch aren’t we ahead then. 
We thought we were holier than those who sold or ate striped bass, only to find out we’re part of the problem. We have to up our game. 

Edited by patabate
Grammar

I've been using cirlce hooks for about 8 years and my hook up rate is about the same. Small fish are tougher to hook! Had some throat hooking issues then learned about tying the snell and not using papper clips with circles.  Inline hooks have a better hook up and landing ratios then trebles.  I still think you moght hook more with a treble but, there going to be bad hooks and end up in lost fish anyway. The inline grabs more flesh and stays in better. Still up in the air about this . Just switched this year and will get back to you guys another time on review. So far so good. Besides top water.

Single point, single hook and barbless. That is the only way to treat a catch a release fishery. If you cant fish without trebles, than you have issues. Who cares what Skinner says, he is a seller of product, not an advocate of conservation. The idea that you would have fewer hookups with singles over trebles is a joke, unless you are a snagger. 1 point=more pressure on said point. Learn from Salmon and Steelhead fishermen. Add a beadchain swivel, and tune plugs around it, then you are golden.

21 mins ago, Derick Jahnke said:

Single point, single hook and barbless. That is the only way to treat a catch a release fishery. If you cant fish without trebles, than you have issues. Who cares what Skinner says, he is a seller of product, not an advocate of conservation. The idea that you would have fewer hookups with singles over trebles is a joke, unless you are a snagger. 1 point=more pressure on said point. Learn from Salmon and Steelhead fishermen. Add a beadchain swivel, and tune plugs around it, then you are golden.

No it isn't, that fact that you think that is a joke, do you fish for striper? My experience with inline singles was very similar to skinner, tons of hits and no hook ups. And when I did hook up those hooks are so big and sharp they penetrate deep, leading to more bleeders than with trebles. 1 treble on the belly with crushed barbs is what I have found to be a happy medium. Also a single hook on the rear of the plug seems to find its way into the gills of a schoolie much easier.

Single bellie siwash hook on a 4 bead swivel. With trebles you get tons of gill plate hooks on fish thay take short strikes or swipes at plugs. With a single sharp hook on a 4 bead chain placed on the bellie will eliminate those issues. 

8 hours ago, john1234 said:

How  about no.....I encourage you to watch John skinners video using inline singles and he cannot pull one fish out of a raging blitz because he can’t hook them.........The way a bass attacks a plug is often a slashing motion and I am certainly not gonna fish a whole tide for one big hit and not connect because of those stupid hooks........John

I wouldn't go by that one video.  I also have advised to avoid VMC singles....They're brittle and the geometry is Whack (scientific term)

Way to much effort to set past the barb.  Which is my guess as to what happened in that vid.  

Owners are the standard in the main stream treble alternative.  

I've been talking about the use of inline singles on the forums for years.  I love em.   
I go as large as I can get away with.  I try to match the treble weight without causing fouling.   

I've swapped out hundreds of trebles over the years in favor of singles.  Singles don't translate well on every style of lure.  Some lures like poppers or wake baits need monster singles to be effective 7/0 +  

But if they weren't effective I wouldn't have wasted hundreds of $ on hook and weightier rings to replace them.

But one thing I can say from experience...big fish stay pinned better with singles than with trebles.  

Also worth noting

VMC makes garbage hooks.....their 4x permasteels are about the only product they make that isn't bottom of the barrel.

alibabazon chinesium  hooks are sharper stronger and a fraction of the price.  

Hooks or bad for fish

Sand is bad for fish

they swim in deeper cooler water...

Wake up .....this is straight propaganda by those who  make money on the fishery.....

Respect the fish and release ASAP.    

How many times you had a fish with bite marks from other fish and healed fine and still alive.

Ever catch a tagged fish,,,,  It takes time and putting a hole somewhere on its body and they still survive.

WAKE UP......   .