Daylight

If you want higher Catch & Release Survival Rates

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

10 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

I use a happy medium when the time comes.  Often in later July and August I find the fish are swallowing my poppers.  During that time period, I'll put a bucktail-adorned single hook, courtesy of John Skinner's older and more accomplished brother, on my plugs' tails, but keep the treble on the the front hook.  I see a minor drop in hookups, but at least I can quickly remove the single hook from deeply hooked fish with little collateral damage.

That’s reasonable.......I encourage people to do whatever they want that’s kinder to the fish, A lot of my plugs have dressed singles on the tail and all of my tins do, However if you are an advocate of enforcing no trebles like the gentleman who created this thread then I would like you to fish you’re whole season with a pencil popper rigged with these hooks and see how many time you cuss yourself out because the fish “arent eating the plug”....They are you just wouldn’t be hooking them. It’s almost as ridiculous as rigging eels with circle hooks......John

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, patabate said:

It’s clear to me that the greatest opportunity to reduce striped bass mortality lies in improving catch and release mortality. Improved release techniques should be elevated as a necessary fishing skill for all fish. 

In agreement with premise, but how does one "evaluate" skills in an effective and meaningful way, "Quiz on Friday"?

Edited by Roccus7

39 mins ago, patabate said:

It’s clear to me that the greatest opportunity to reduce striped bass mortality lies in improving catch and release mortality. Improved release techniques should be elevated as a necessary fishing skill for all fish. 

To me this is really more of the issue than treble hooks. Fishing RI on Sunday the bite was all bass 24” or less mainly on bucktails. The surf was small but watching the dozen people fishing almost all were dragging the fish 20’ on the sand and you could tell none had the barb crushed by the trouble they had removing the hook some of the time. Standing in 2’ of water with barb crushed didn’t even need to lift or touch the fish just grab jig head and Turn  and most just slipped off. Better release technique would save a lot of fish. 

3 hours ago, Daylight said:

Ban treble hooks.

Perhaps the only good thing to come out of the recent changes is the commission's decision to mandated a gear change. As far as I know, that's the fist time that has happened. It shows some willingness on their part to actually use their brains and make a change.  Obviously snag and drop kills way to many released fish. It was an obvious choice. 

The goal of the slot, as I understand it, is to reduce mortality via reduction of effort. Banning treble hooks probably wouldn't reduce effort all that much (trebles are used predominantly by surf casters, they are going to fish regardless) and other methods certainly kill more fish and increase effort. 

Outlawing wire line or fishing from a boat while in gear would do a lot more.  The slot was pushed for by the for hire crews because they said catching a fish over 35" would be too difficult thus unhappy customers, death of the business, blah blah. The response should have been, "Ok you get the slot but no trolling" Trolling for striped bass is the easiest, most efficient, least sporting way to catch very large striped bass. Ban trolling and you actually have to fish for the fish you catch. Would be FAR easier to enforce and reduce effort more than banning trebles.

Those wire line crews are are going to throw back so many half dead slobs next year.

This of course is all a pipe dream but an interesting discussion.

53 mins ago, patabate said:

To me this is really more of the issue than treble hooks. Fishing RI on Sunday the bite was all bass 24” or less mainly on bucktails. The surf was small but watching the dozen people fishing almost all were dragging the fish 20’ on the sand and you could tell none had the barb crushed by the trouble they had removing the hook some of the time. Standing in 2’ of water with barb crushed didn’t even need to lift or touch the fish just grab jig head and Turn  and most just slipped off. Better release technique would save a lot of fish. 

Do not resuscitate.

That's why I decided to forget about it and go to the

bar, grab a couple of cold ones, some fried wings and

watch the games. Give me the option. A chunk of bunker.

71NifpuXlmL._SX425_.jpg

51w4G8AYFyL._SX425_.jpg

41F72ThrxvL._SX425_.jpg

rapala-x-rap-long-cast-shallow-hero.jpg

Edited by SandSpike1

Why not ban fisherman . . . you start walking a slippery slope when you start banning things.  Best approach is through education and experience.  But no argument from me that trebles certainly damage fish more than singles and cause the fish to be out of the water, while unhooking, for a longer period of time.

The new big eye  inline single hooks work just fine. Thing is when replacing trebles increase single hook 2 sizes bigger. They also don't work well with top water baits. So if you use a top water use a single treble in the middle/front, attach 2 split rings and crush barbs. 

Circle you have to customize as well. 1.) Snell all your hooks, 

2.) The knot of none snell hook will get in the way and prevent proper hook placenent.

3.)Hook size matters. 

4.) Match hook size to fish your going to catch. The gap has to bigger then the thickness of basses lip.

5.)Match the size of the hook to the bait your going to use. Balance size based on #4 and #5. 

6.) Make sure barb and hook point are always well exposed with room to move.

7.)Never set the hook. Let the fish hook themselves.  Hold the pole at 45° opposite of the way the fish is running. 

8.) If you think the fish us on the line and slowly running at you or you can't feel it. Slowly reel into the fish till it comes tight.

Hope this helps those who will be new to these type of fishing. Thankyou.

23 mins ago, cartopper said:

Why not ban fisherman . . . you start walking a slippery slope when you start banning things.  Best approach is through education and experience.  But no argument from me that trebles certainly damage fish more than singles and cause the fish to be out of the water, while unhooking, for a longer period of time.

Dynamite and purse seines are outlawed.  No slippery slope. 

Banning things that are stupid, harmful and unsporting is sensible.  

Trying to get boomers to change their habits, to be more sporting, to not only think about themselves is really the challenge.

2 hours ago, john1234 said:

How  about no.....I encourage you to watch John skinners video using inline singles and he cannot pull one fish out of a raging blitz because he can’t hook them.........The way a bass attacks a plug is often a slashing motion and I am certainly not gonna fish a whole tide for one big hit and not connect because of those stupid hooks........John

They work very well on all plugs except poppers. If anything, the connection is more secure when you get a hookup. For some reason they don't work that well on poppers, however, I don't think skinner used the correct size in that video. You need to size up at least 2 sizes from the trebles originally on the plug.

I'm fine with banning trebles for bait fishing, but the majority of lures are designed to have trebles on them and do not/will not work as intended without them.  If you really want to reduce mortality you'd have a closed season in southern areas during peak-water temps, educate fishermen on safe handling/quick release techniques, and encourage people to use appropriately-heavy gear. 

With respect to that third point, you should be able and prepared to land a large fish quickly, even if it means getting less of a "fight" out of the small fish.  I've seen enough big bass come in nearly dead, half-full of lactic acid due to an unnecessarily long fight because someone wanted to be more "sporting", and drift off belly up despite cold water and a quick and gentle release.

here in quebec we aint ''allowed'' to use trebles on strippers. did'nt care much for it as i wake up at night to hate those hand catchers. but, buying 20$ yozuris and daiwas sp because they cast great and breaking their swimming action by putting singles on em really pisses me off, i've always put singles on the tail, but on the belly i havent found anything that can prevent excessive plug roll. i crush barbs on them all but wont change em anymore until i can get ''updated'' plugs that works with singles. having expensive ''sinking'' plugs acting like surface needles aint doing it.

keep in mind i won't release all stippers, smallies and the cows i let go. no messing around, no pics or weighting, they are the future of the sport and i understand it well. but somedays, i just want a fish to EAT and here they are hard to catch with all the seals and sharks around.

besides, i seem to catch strippers only on bucktails these days...go figure..

edit; agree with EBharvey about heavier gear. first stripper i ever catched was on 8 pound mono and was oversized, tried to release it but he was truly done so i had to keep and eat it (big strippers aint the best eatin fish..) ill never fish salt again with mono because of that lesson.

Edited by jerome gagnon

44 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Dynamite and purse seines are outlawed.  No slippery slope. 

Banning things that are stupid, harmful and unsporting is sensible.  

Trying to get boomers to change their habits, to be more sporting, to not only think about themselves is really the challenge.

LOL . . . thought we were talking about recreational fishing.  Have to take the dynamite out of my bag . . .had no idea it was outlawed :shrug: