Daylight

If you want higher Catch & Release Survival Rates

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

19 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Higher catch on singles or inlines ?

How do you figure?

I think he is talking about fish getting messed up from trebles. I still use them, however, the older I get it seems like the more I am getting stuck by them, I think my vision is poorer or my reflexes, for that reason, I’m switching to singles. A fish shaking with a treble can be a menace when taking a hook out.

Posted (edited) · Report post

36 mins ago, fishhappy said:

I think he is talking about fish getting messed up from trebles. I still use them, however, the older I get it seems like the more I am getting stuck by them, I think my vision is poorer or my reflexes, for that reason, I’m switching to singles. A fish shaking with a treble can be a menace when taking a hook out.

I came to my senses a few years ago. 15# bluefish casting into a blitz. Fish mouth sealed shut. 2 hooks above the upper lip, 1 below the lower lip, removing the treble I felt so bad about it. Thinking this pretty pointless and stupid what I am doing. 

Switched over to barbless single hooks, just keep the line tight, easy enough to do. If it does wiggle off it is not the end of the world. Not like I am going to starve if it gets away.

Least you can try is to cut off one of the hooks.

Edited by Daylight

whenever I see blues blitzing, I change the plug or lure to something with a single hooks. That’s something many anglers learn very early on if for no other reason than that you can get your lure back into the fray a lot quicker to catch more bluefish.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ban the use of stainless hooks with bait fishing.  Mandatory cutting of line when gut hooked.  Folks kill a fish to save at best a dollar hook........

Love fishing, but some like fluke with bait is bad...........  the game of smalls with gut hook....... not good.  Striper fishing is the game of smalls too.....  

All this in addition to circle hooks........

Edited by salt deficient

2 mins ago, salt deficient said:

Ban the use of stainless hooks with bait fishing.  Mandatory cutting of line when gut hooked.  Folks kill a fish to save at best a dollar hook........

Love fishing, but some like fluke with bait is bad...........  the game of smalls with gut hook....... not good.  Striper fishing is the game of smalls too.....  

All this in addition to circle hooks........

I cut the line on all my fish that get gut hooked.  I'm amazed at how many people think that is dumb.  Had several people come up to me just in September offering to get the hook out when I was reaching for my knife.  One guy came up so fast, grabbed the fish, and yanked the hook out with a ball of guts faster than I could say "no".  He was so excited he could save me a hook and retie.

Lots of other practices can help, too. I try to avoid touching or lifting the fish out of the water whenever possible...on smaller fish on jigs I just grab the hook and twist it out while the rest of the fish remains underwater. If it’s going to take more time and effort to remove the hook I still do whatever I can to avoid touching the fish or having the fish laid down onto the beach, grass, boat deck..whatever. Lip grippers help a lot for the larger fish.

When I actually have a camera, only the biggest fish get pictures taken. In my boat I fish up in the bow and all my fish releasing gear and my scale and camera are laid out on the thwart within easy reach before I even leave the dock.  ...no more fumbling around in a bag with 6 pockets looking for the pliers while I’m holding a fish.  

I was thinking craddle net could help in cases.  Hard to use youself unless fish is already whooped. But if you had a buddy it would be easy. They have build in measuring tape and you can weight fish in the net with boga. C&R a fish this way and it will be no worse for wear. 

59 mins ago, RI: best part of CT said:

whenever I see blues blitzing, I change the plug or lure to something with a single hooks. That’s something many anglers learn very early on if for no other reason than that you can get your lure back into the fray a lot quicker to catch more bluefish.

When I lived in the land of bluefish, I used a different strategy, a "Blitzing Blue Sacrificial Lure" collection made up of lures beyond repair, lures that really didn't work well, etc.  Since you're bound to have other fish other than the one on bite off your line in a major blitz and lose lures, I used this time to get rid of the lures I'd normally throw out.

2 hours ago, Daylight said:

Ban treble hooks.

How  about no.....I encourage you to watch John skinners video using inline singles and he cannot pull one fish out of a raging blitz because he can’t hook them.........The way a bass attacks a plug is often a slashing motion and I am certainly not gonna fish a whole tide for one big hit and not connect because of those stupid hooks........John

2 hours ago, Daylight said:

Ban treble hooks.

They probably contribute to some extent by extending time out of the water, and increased handling.  Got an email yesterday from Big Water Gary that he's releasing 111 plugs with reduced hookage, so there's ceratinly awareness and some action.  

Certainly if you want to fish a plug with a pair of trebles you better have a Boga, pliers, and skilz to turn that fish around fast.  (Indeed, on plugs as bigs as Gary's I'd be a little wary of going single treble.   In either case, non-issue as 95% of those are BST bound and may experience oxidation, but never from water.)

Unfortunately, a lot of guys are dumb, unskilled, or just don't care, and are still going to treat fish like ****.  Keep a fish out for 5 minute photo shoot, drop it on a rock, "clean" all that nasty slime off, "shake & bake" it with sand, and finally boot or throw it back into the water with a splash.   I propose we solve this by burying such guys up to their neck at low tide and waiting.

8 mins ago, john1234 said:

How  about no.....I encourage you to watch John skinners video using inline singles and he cannot pull one fish out of a raging blitz because he can’t hook them.........The way a bass attacks a plug is often a slashing motion and I am certainly not gonna fish a whole tide for one big hit and not connect because of those stupid hooks........John

I use a happy medium when the time comes.  Often in later July and August I find the fish are swallowing my poppers.  During that time period, I'll put a bucktail-adorned single hook, courtesy of John Skinner's older and more accomplished brother, on my plugs' tails, but keep the treble on the the front hook.  I see a minor drop in hookups, but at least I can quickly remove the single hook from deeply hooked fish with little collateral damage.

It’s clear to me that the greatest opportunity to reduce striped bass mortality lies in improving catch and release mortality. Improved release techniques should be elevated as a necessary fishing skill for all fish.