BillC523

Transom mounting

12 posts in this topic

I”m brand new to this forum and kayak fishing as well. Have a new (2 months old) kayak.

Bought a Lowrance Hook2-7 today. It comes with side vision transom.

I intent to mount it inside the hull away from the motor drive. Wilderness Systems tech department indicated that it would be good to mount the transducer in the hull, right side near the front. Has anyone attempted this form of an installataio

Welcome. I have a different type of side scan from Humminbird. If the  2-7 is the same As all other side scans that transducer must be in the water and unobstructed on both sides to get it to work. 

Need to know what kayak model you have and see if we can come up with other mounting options. 

Edited by The Riddler

That transducer appears to be massive and I don't see that it has side scan or side imaging options. What you do is hit up a lowes, home depot, ace, true and buy a block of Electricians Duct Seal.  Kneed it, shape it to the size of your transducer, and the simply find a place to press this putty with transducer attached into the hull of the kayak. The putty takes the air out so you want to smoosh it in and then head out for tests. 

We find putty to work really good.  Occasionally it will pop off but overall it stays good. Before kayak manufacturers started giving us better options for mounted this is how 1000's of kayak anglers mounted their transducers. Most of us prefer this way because Transducers can go bad.  If you glue or epoxy a transducer to the hull its tough to get out. 

Good luck

21FABA1A-F27E-4662-B24C-75E70DA86971.png

E9A0EE4E-C65A-4A53-AD5D-6F0D2AF2E4E1.png

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

That transducer appears to be massive and I don't see that it has side scan or side imaging options. What you do is hit up a lowes, home depot, ace, true and buy a block of Electricians Duct Seal.  Kneed it, shape it to the size of your transducer, and the simply find a place to press this putty with transducer attached into the hull of the kayak. The putty takes the air out so you want to smoosh it in and then head out for tests. 

We find putty to work really good.  Occasionally it will pop off but overall it stays good. Before kayak manufacturers started giving us better options for mounted this is how 1000's of kayak anglers mounted their transducers. Most of us prefer this way because Transducers can go bad.  If you glue or epoxy a transducer to the hull its tough to get out. 

Good luck

21FABA1A-F27E-4662-B24C-75E70DA86971.png

E9A0EE4E-C65A-4A53-AD5D-6F0D2AF2E4E1.png

The finder on it’s way, it is the Lowrance Hook2 with TripleShot & US inland maps.

tech support, told me the transducer was about 2” longer than split shot and could mount inside the hull, suggested right side floor.  But, experience goes a log way and thats what you have. So, whats your take on this?

6 hours ago, BillC523 said:

The finder on it’s way, it is the Lowrance Hook2 with TripleShot & US inland maps.

tech support, told me the transducer was about 2” longer than split shot and could mount inside the hull, suggested right side floor.  But, experience goes a log way and thats what you have. So, whats your take on this?

My take is it will work. You can put it where the tech suggests. If you had any type of side sonar it would not work. But it looks good to me. 

As far as I can tell, Tripleshot means it includes side-scan in addition to regular and downscan. So the only way to get triple shot is a below the hull mount. Your tech support, unsurprisingly, was an idiot when he told you in hull would work.

55 mins ago, gellfex said:

As far as I can tell, Tripleshot means it includes side-scan in addition to regular and downscan. So the only way to get triple shot is a below the hull mount. Your tech support, unsurprisingly, was an idiot when he told you in hull would work.

What unit do you have gellfex? 

9 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Do you have the model number of transducer you have?

“I am the night rider the toe cutter he knows who I am”lol 

“I’m going to lay a rubber road right to freedom “

love the Avatar and one of my favorite movies.

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

What unit do you have gellfex? 

I has the internets. From the Lowrance site:

HOOK² 7 with TripleShot Transducer and US Inland MapsSKU: 000-14293-001
This is perfect for anglers who want the full sonar experience. Tripleshot 3-in-1 displays give you wide-angle High CHIRP Sonar and Sidescan/Downscan Imaging™ with full chartplotter and basic GPS plotter navigation options.

If everything I learned shopping for a new unit is wrong about sidescan not working in-hull, that would be fantastic. I don't want an exterior transducer making drag for my tired old arms.