gellfex

Do you use an extension cord reel?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I'm kinda ambivalent about these things. But I inherited one with at least 75' on it, and was wondering how people use them. On a crappy previous one I found that having the socket end basically in the reel meant I needed ANOTHER extension cord just to get any work done if it wasn't a stationary tool. I use it mostly for yard work with electric pole chainsaw or hedge trimmer.  I decided to fold the cord in half, and put it on the spool so that it would wind both sides at once, basically twice as fast. This way I could plug it in, walk it unspooling a little over halfway to where I was working, put it down, and then walk the socket end to the work area. Stupid or genius? Is there a better way, other than coiling it down old school 'over/under' or the bucket method?

hdx-extension-cord-reels-hd-100pdq-64_30

No. & nobody wraps my extension cords. My wife & son do not want to face the wrath of me finding a twisted one! 10 years on the road with sound & light shows will do that to ya

1 hour ago, Joe said:

No. & nobody wraps my extension cords. My wife & son do not want to face the wrath of me finding a twisted one! 10 years on the road with sound & light shows will do that to ya

Amen to that. Ask anyone who's ever worked with me or for me. Nobody wraps my cords or hoses but me. Unless you have ben taught the correct way, by me. 

Umm, you guys saying "no" aren't saying what you actually do.  Are you coiling it in your hands over/under?

Edited by gellfex

3 hours ago, gellfex said:

Umm, you guys saying "no" aren't saying what you actually do.  Are you coiling it in your hands over/under?

Is over /under the same as the hand/under elbow wrap? I make even round coils with all electric/mic/amp cords, removing any twist as I lay the coils.

14 mins ago, cheech said:

Is over /under the same as the hand/under elbow wrap? I make even round coils with all electric/mic/amp cords, removing any twist as I lay the coils.

Nope, it's a method of coiling without twist. I do it for many things, but thought a very long extension would be too big to hold in one hand without making the loops so big they would be a mess. Does anyone know why this dude says NOT to over/under power cables? FWIW I think he;s talking about really heavy stage lighting cables, not 14ga extension cords. Or why you all say "wrap" not "coil"?

Gelfex, I have one of those reels. I drilled a hole in the horizontal piece and ran the plug end through it and out the hole on the side and pulled about two feet out as I have it mounted on a wall next to the plug. The key is to leave the plug end hanging free when you are coiling or pulling the cord out to avoid it twisting too much. I just use this setup to run the cord from my bulkhead to my shed to start my snowblower.

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

Nope, it's a method of coiling without twist. I do it for many things, but thought a very long extension would be too big to hold in one hand without making the loops so big they would be a mess. Does anyone know why this dude says NOT to over/under power cables? FWIW I think he;s talking about really heavy stage lighting cables, not 14ga extension cords. Or why you all say "wrap" not "coil"?

Learn to over under the cable while its laying on the ground

8 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Amen to that. Ask anyone who's ever worked with me or for me. Nobody wraps my cords or hoses but me. Unless you have ben taught the correct way, by me. 

I bet I could wrap them to your liking. Course I was taught how to wrap by ole school guys like yourself. 

Having ben a sailor and cowboy before I was a carpenter, I was well schooled on the use and care of lines/ropes. I use my own version of the over under most times for my 12 gauge cords and 1/2" rubber airlines. I haven't tried it in a long while, but I usta could pull a 50 or 75' cord or airline out of my truck, and throw it out over a second floor ridge. I coiled them to throw. 

That whole "california knot" style thingy may work fine for them where it doesnt get cold. But around here, when it's cold, every bend is yer enemy. 

I hold one end in my teeth(after unplugging from the outlet, then I spin around so that the cord winds from my neck down to my ankles. It's harder to walk to the truck, but it's quick