nightfighter

$200 for a hammer?????

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Saw this at my local yard today. And one guy was telling me he has had a few and loves them..... Stiletto. Never seen or heard of them. Titanium head and handle allows for less weight, less vibration, more striking power..... Crazy! $213! Not for my tool belt or wallet. Maybe for those who are framing without guns....

Yeah, makes you wonder what you're missing, right? I just watched the 1st season of This Old House from 79, not a nail gun to be seen! It was all 'real men' swinging hammers! And the flooring guy was cutting his oak freehand with a skillsaw that had the guard removed rather than a laser guided miter saw. Good old days, huh?

You can add hammers from Martinez Tools to the list as well at $200+.

If you're framing / woodworking for a living it may be worthwhile.

Would be interesting to hear from anyone using these and "normal" hammers what the difference is.

Pulled this from their website- ''15oz Titanium head/Steel face combination drives like a 28 oz Steel hammer ''

I'm calling BS, don't know how they're rewriting laws of physics to make this possible. Though I guess if it's lighter you can swing it a hell of a lot hard to make up for the lack of mass....sounds like hell on the arms to me.

Edited by BLilly
Effing Autocorrect

27 mins ago, gray gables said:

I have the 10oz stilletto hammer, it’s great. 

Glad to hear. I hope it is orgasmic!! Kidding aside, I have bought into a number of expensive tools by Festool. But those tools have either been able to perform a job that I had no tool to do (track saw, domino), or in the case of the sanders and vacuum, just did the job that much better and added to performance by greatly lessening clean up time.

I just don't see that in a hammer and must not be using my Eastwing hammer enough to need that kind of upgrade.

Not raining on your parade, just was taken aback when I saw this...

54 mins ago, nightfighter said:

Glad to hear. I hope it is orgasmic!! Kidding aside, I have bought into a number of expensive tools by Festool. But those tools have either been able to perform a job that I had no tool to do (track saw, domino), or in the case of the sanders and vacuum, just did the job that much better and added to performance by greatly lessening clean up time.

I just don't see that in a hammer and must not be using my Eastwing hammer enough to need that kind of upgrade.

Not raining on your parade, just was taken aback when I saw this...

I paid less than a 100 for mine on eBay. I’d rather swing that than an east wing. Festtools are nice, but to expensive for what I do. 

My 22 oz. Estwing has ben on my belt for 35 years. It does just fine.

Also, I remember nearly that long ago the Pentagon paying $200.00 each for hammers. Perhaps they were the secret Roswell kinda prototype? Maybe the military has ben holding out on us with tools? ;) 

I swung an Estwing from the early 80s until 2 years ago then I switched.  Best move I ever made.

Granted I don't swing a hammer every day but when I do my elbow thanks me.

fullsizeoutput_76.jpeg

I'm curious now, what jobs are you guys doing so much hammering on? I'm not a full time pro, but do a lot of reno and maintenance on rentals. I can't remember the last time I swung a hammer for a fastener instead of using a nail or screw gun. Demo is another story of course. And cable staples.

I own a 14oz long necked Stilletto framing hammer; after working in the architectural / custom home reno and fresh build scene for ~5yrs I can fully attest to the investment.  There is an incredible difference from your average HD-East-wing steel hammer to a Titanium hammer; with the leverage, weight/balance in the palm, and "throw" of a Letto you can drive a 6" framing brad 1/4" recessed in 2-3 hammer throws.  Especially convenient with the magnetic recessed brad slot groved into the top section of the hammers head; it allows you to throw an initial brad tack without needing a second hand to "smash" the first whack to tack the brad.  Throwing those over your head brads in overhead positions became a DREAM with that crazy little feature.