ASrod

Plug bag

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I’m in the market for a plug bag and I’m looking in to a Gear-Up. Would a 3 or 4 tube be a better option for carrying a reasonable assortment of plugs? I typically like to carry a couple poppers, a pencil, a few minnow plugs and a darter/bottle. I’ve been using a medium aquaskinz for years but I have no idea what the size comparison is between the aquaskinz and gear up.

2 mins ago, Mack26 said:

The 2 tube bag carries more than enough plugs IMO, and has slots for a half a dozen bucktails. 

Keep in mind when I go fishing I’m usually carrying enough plugs for me and whoever came with me. Only a couple guys who I fish with carry their own gear :eek: 

6 mins ago, ASrod said:

Keep in mind when I go fishing I’m usually carrying enough plugs for me and whoever came with me. Only a couple guys who I fish with carry their own gear :eek: 

Oh, well that’s different then. If you are carrying for two, i would think at least a 3. But, i try and carry only what i think i will need. Just sick of dealing with stupid amts of gear i’m not going to throw.

I’de love to have you as my partner!! :laugh:

Edited by Mack26

If I were you I would carry a 6 tube or a 8 tube-plenty of room for a good assortment of plugs-tins- bucktails--rubber-diamond jigs and others-I can't see those 2 and 3 tube bags jammed with 3-4 or 5 plugs jammed in the tubes- how do you take out a plug without tangling the other hooks to me bigger is better-that's my mentality-rreelman

8 hours ago, ASrod said:

Stop bringing those guys !

Flatlander on the smaller side. I replaced factory tubes with two cutoff water bottles. It carries more than enough of my needs in Florida. 

B4CA27FF-3AC9-4333-B9CE-6C2A3CBE3785.jpeg.af1f0a35f815ff2320262257bdbad5c6.jpeg

Edited by tomkaz

9 hours ago, ASrod said:

I’m in the market for a plug bag and I’m looking in to a Gear-Up. Would a 3 or 4 tube be a better option for carrying a reasonable assortment of plugs? I typically like to carry a couple poppers, a pencil, a few minnow plugs and a darter/bottle. I’ve been using a medium aquaskinz for years but I have no idea what the size comparison is between the aquaskinz and gear up.

The medium AS bag with the front pouch is probably the best layout of any bag I have ever used especially for medium sized lures say 1-2 1/2 oz sized. I have no first hand experience with GU bags but I do not like the large 3 inch tube design found in some bags unless you really need that size tube for big wood.. If I was in the market for a new bag today it would be the As medium or the Elite Hunter pro version of the same bag. This bag layout just flat out makes sense and has been very practical to use.

10 hours ago, ASrod said:

When are we going to go fishing together?  I've been trying to find a fishing partner with that trait for years.

I'm also looking for a plug bag so following this thread closely.

Edited by Steve_in_PA

AS, I have the 3 tube GU and like it but if you're carrying for others then i would highly suggest the 4 tube.  Better to have the space and not need it all the time than to try and overload the 3 tube bag.  I run solo but occasionally I sure wish i had the 4 tube.  This is not necessarily just to carry more lures but because it let's you space out your lures with a lot less tangling. 

On the rough surf it's a pain in the arse trying to untangle 2 or 3 lures while keeping the corner of your eye on the waves.  also, less worry about accidentally losing lures.

I just picked up a gear up 3 tube.  Seems like its just the right size for me.  Not too big but can carry a lot.  I definitely wouldn't want any bigger but could see the merits of a 2 tube.

I find 4 in the Cube layout the most efficient.  

3, 4, 6 tubes (which results in 3 in a line) in a line, especially if belt mount vs. shoulder slap makes for longer reaches for plugs, all of which are tight to your body.  

4 in a Cube on a belt I can slide right around to pick a plug frorm 4 easily accessable tubes.  I like that 2 of them are away from the body where they are easy to see and get stuff in/out of without catching up on body/clothing.  The stuff I'm most likely to pull and swap the most goes in those 2 outter tubes, the less likely offerings go in the tubes close to the body.

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 9.06.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 9.10.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 9.12.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 9.10.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 9.11.10 AM.png

14 hours ago, ASrod said:

Is your friend a girl? Good looking, single?  If not, eff em.