Bait Tailer

Braid to Braid FG

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Nope.

But this depends on definition of just fine

Albright slips and then unravels too easily.

Not saying anyone has to do this, OP asked and since I am a user of FG for braid to braid, I weighed in with my own experiences.

Back to OP - main line tension is key - too much and you wrap the leader around the braid - practice

Ya'll making this way too complicated. 

Double the running line(15-30lb), 5 turn uni on the leader (50-100lb) then a 5 turn uni on the doubled main line with the leader, draw tight, then make it tighter and trim and go fishing.

Edited by ReelinRod

Reelin, you may be right that I over complicate things.

I'll stick to the FG for a smaller slicker knot, even if it is only because it makes me feel more confident.

back to back uni vs FG.jpg

Edited by ZAFisher

Really appreciate the feedback.  Had too many nights and mornings fishing an awesome bite to check this but will definitely take the time to try out these techniques and other knots.   Heard about FGing braid to braid a while ago and my interest was mostly about casting a heavier leader through small running guides.   Love the way a few of those 5 and 6 running guide rods feel but found myself needing more leader. 

I think my initial problem was the leader wrapping around the mainline during some of the wraps.  will also try doubling the uni to uni and bob sands.  I've been really impressed by the strength of the FG braid to mono and fluoro so will report back. 

Mono 17 lb running line to 65 lb braid shock leader, what knot would you try? I am trying to avoid the heavy (thick) 60 lb Mono shock , but still have the protection of a shock. 

On 11/5/2019 at 10:03 PM, ZAFisher said:

rod as a kind of bow to maintain tension on the line

Thanks ZA, this method worked really well keeping all the wraps aligned under even pressure.  Always relied on the stiffness of mono or flouro tying it with just my hands.  With 12 or 13 pairs of wraps of 20# on 50# leader braid, I was able to lift a 20lb dumbbell so obviously more than satisfied.  Gonna go rip some some fast sinking little necks with way more confidence.

On 11/7/2019 at 6:51 AM, ZAFisher said:

Like so.

Step 1: 10 wraps up leader

Step 2: 10 wraps back down

Step 3: 2 turn uni of leader over main line and tag, tight, but not gorilla tight as you still need to snug up wraps of main line and its tag

Step 3: snug up main line and tag (you will need to tease the tag and main line separately on occasion

Step 4: tighten up 2 turn uni hard

Step 5: tighten up main and main tag hard - main line will go translucent

Step 6: Rizzuto main over tag of leader and main

Step 7: Completed knot before trimming

Step 8: Trimmed

BS Variation Step 1.jpeg

BS Variation Step 2.jpeg

BS Variation Step 3.jpeg

BS Variation Step 4.jpeg

BS Variation Step 5.jpeg

BS Variation Step 6.jpeg

BS Variation Step 7.jpeg

BS Variation Step 8.jpeg

This is a near match of the knit I use for braid to mono. There are two points that are different.

- I normally double my braid

- I’ll do a 5-turn uni. 

85932E1F-48F3-41C2-B1F0-06B7DEE9F28D.jpeg

Edited by Alferd Packer

Nice posts here. 

Keep in mind that because braid does not stretch much, you have to use a heavier shock leader than you would with mono.

I find a Nail knot to Nail knot connection is very durable. I use 30 main line 100 shock leader. For me it outlasts Uni to Uni easily.

On 11/5/2019 at 7:16 PM, Bait Tailer said:

I'm not a distance caster but my searches about a braid to braid leader FG turned up a lot of mentions here.  Can't find much detailed information on it though and my attempts at tying it keep failing.  I really started enjoying the rods I have with smaller running guides and decided to try the heavy braid leader on a few lighter outfits where I need the longer leader and abrasion resistance.  Currently trying to get the FG to work between 20# jbraid grand and 50# suffix 832. I've tried different numbers of wraps and tension but it keeps breaking as I cinch it down or when stressed above 10 pounds (according to my dumbbell scale).  tried other combinations of braid with similar results and my braid to mono fg is reliable. 

For those of you that fish it whats the secret? 

Try hollow braid from the main line to the leader use gorilla glue to secure th end 

Try a 15 foot piece of 50 lb  hollow braid from main line to swivel then add  leader .using up to 20 lb test u can use a tapestry needle from a sewing store and finish with a light smooth hint of gorilla glue gorilla glue .no knots thru the guides casts extremely well and is extremely strong.