Bait Tailer

Braid to Braid FG

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm not a distance caster but my searches about a braid to braid leader FG turned up a lot of mentions here.  Can't find much detailed information on it though and my attempts at tying it keep failing.  I really started enjoying the rods I have with smaller running guides and decided to try the heavy braid leader on a few lighter outfits where I need the longer leader and abrasion resistance.  Currently trying to get the FG to work between 20# jbraid grand and 50# suffix 832. I've tried different numbers of wraps and tension but it keeps breaking as I cinch it down or when stressed above 10 pounds (according to my dumbbell scale).  tried other combinations of braid with similar results and my braid to mono fg is reliable. 

For those of you that fish it whats the secret? 

Edited by Bait Tailer

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use the rod as a kind of bow to maintain tension on the line - make a loop in the end of the main line and slip the loop over the reel handle, wind in for tension and keep the drag just tight enough such that you can turn the spool manually to reduce tension as you go; too much tension in the main line and you end up wrapping the leader around the main line = failure. I like 11 turns each side ie total of 22 wraps; use your finger nails to compress the knot downwards after every 2 sets of alternating wraps. 2 alternating half hitches to lock down then pull very tight; then a Rizzuto finish.

I'll set up a camera to take a video and some stills of my method.

If I am on the beach I lay the rod flat across my lap or in an angled rod spike/pipe or on a table if I am at home.

Video shown is not mine, but the bow method is the one I like

Edited by ZAFisher

Interesting video.

But that guy talks funny:p.

Here's another vid that does a good job explaining the knot, but he talks a bit 1'st, you can skip that.

Guys the OP is talking about a braid to braid knot not a braid to mono.

To the OP it will not work the "braids/wraps" need something to bite into. Mono provides some cushion for the braid to dig itself into braid will not be able to provide the same type of cushion. Personally I would tie two Bimini twists and use a loop to loop connection.

15 hours ago, NPV said:

Guys the OP is talking about a braid to braid knot not a braid to mono.

To the OP it will not work the "braids/wraps" need something to bite into. Mono provides some cushion for the braid to dig itself into braid will not be able to provide the same type of cushion. Personally I would tie two Bimini twists and use a loop to loop connection.

I know he was referring to braid-to-braid.

It does work actually.

I do it all the time, as do many others here in South Africa.

Picture is a 30lb to 60lb FG connection (PE4 to PE8)

Braid to Braid FG 01.jpg

Edited by ZAFisher

I have one more knot up my sleeve..... for when I am in too much of a rush (fish fever?) to FG braid to braid.

The Bob Sands is normally (as per shown graphic) tied with a 4 turn uni with the leader over your main line, then do the whole wrap up and wrap back and tuck the tag end of the main into the opening formed?

Screenshot 2019-11-07 at 12.55.40.png

Edited by ZAFisher

Don't start with the uni.

Start with 24" or so of main line and leader laid parallel to each other.

Leader on your left and main line on your right

At roughly the half way point, pinch the two together with your right hand's thumb and forefinger.

Wrap the tag end of the main line up and back down again to your pinch point (I use 7-10 wraps each way, but experiment with a few turns more)

Then transfer to your left hand at the pinch point.

With the tag end of the leader, make a 2 (two) turn uni over the main line and its tag end.

Snug down, but not gorilla tight.

Lubricate the knot and holding both the main line and the tag end, slowly pull (you may need to tease a bit and pull on one more than the other to get the tightening even.

Once pulled up snug, really tighten the leader's tag end.

Then pull hard on the main line and its tag.

If you want to get really clever, you an use the tag end of the main line to do a Rizutto finish over the tag and of the leader and main line.

Honestly ... if you're going braid to braid, a modified Albright knot will work just fine. It is simpler to tie and results in a smaller knot. The FG & Alberto knots where invented to attach dissimilar materials (braid to monofilament) where overcoming slippage and cutting into the monofilament is the challenge. Just my 2 cents.

Like so.

Step 1: 10 wraps up leader

Step 2: 10 wraps back down

Step 3: 2 turn uni of leader over main line and tag, tight, but not gorilla tight as you still need to snug up wraps of main line and its tag

Step 3: snug up main line and tag (you will need to tease the tag and main line separately on occasion

Step 4: tighten up 2 turn uni hard

Step 5: tighten up main and main tag hard - main line will go translucent

Step 6: Rizzuto main over tag of leader and main

Step 7: Completed knot before trimming

Step 8: Trimmed

BS Variation Step 1.jpeg

BS Variation Step 2.jpeg

BS Variation Step 3.jpeg

BS Variation Step 4.jpeg

BS Variation Step 5.jpeg

BS Variation Step 6.jpeg

BS Variation Step 7.jpeg

BS Variation Step 8.jpeg

49 mins ago, b4loran said:

I use the fg all the time, never for braid to braid, don't know the benefit it would be.

For those of us that want the benefit of thin main line for distance, but need a heavier leader for casting heavy weights or at least weights that would push the BS of the main line past what it can handle.

Think 5-6oz of lead + bait on 20-30lb braid main, you are begging for disaster.

2-3oz plugs on 10-15lb main line, same problem.

The heavy braid leader is wound on to the spool for about 8 turns, + up to the tip top and a bit outside then mono.

A snap off out to sea is harmless, if expensive and inconvenient

A snap of down the beach could injure or even kill someone.

4 hours ago, KironaFly said:

Honestly ... if you're going braid to braid, a modified Albright knot will work just fine. It is simpler to tie and results in a smaller knot. The FG & Alberto knots where invented to attach dissimilar materials (braid to monofilament) where overcoming slippage and cutting into the monofilament is the challenge. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed.