surfcast

Striper Rod for chunking ?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Will be doing some  striper fishing , this spring off of a private boat . Have been away from it, for quite some time. What would you recommend for chunks,

and live bunker . This will be paired some type of conventional reel, undetermined at this point. I will spool it with 30 LB monofilament , wont be using this for trolling or spoons. With in the Raritan   Bay area  6----7 foot in length

I Have an ugly stick tiger lite, it's a great rod for short money. But if you're looking for something a little better I absolutely love my st croix mojo salt conventional rod. Lightweight and sensitive but has plenty of power and backbone to pull in a big fish. My first day on the water with it we got into a big school of blues after giving up the search for stripes. I easily put 30 blues in the boat up to 20lbs and the rod didn't break a sweat.

11 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Gotta agree, can't really go wrong with these for boat work on a budget.

Here here! Most people that knock this rods actually never fished them. They are outstanding rods regardless of price.

On 11/6/2019 at 10:17 AM, redfin said:

Here here! Most people that knock this rods actually never fished them. They are outstanding rods regardless of price.

Every time I’ve picked one up in a store they have impressed me. I would definitely choose one over a big water.

On 11/5/2019 at 10:33 PM, Sandbar1 said:

Gotta agree, can't really go wrong with these for boat work on a budget.

Tiger lite....Use mine for almost all my fluking but doubles as a very good bass rod for a good price. the butt section is a touch short for under arming the rod during a fight but it's a durable comfortable rod to fish with good sensitivity.

Edited by DeepBlue85

You have a number options. If you want a cheaper budget rod I would take a look a couple of rods. I am going to make you a good list. 

1.sloopster xh- Would be a good all round striped bass chunking rod that you could easily fish any live bait with. This is the best bang for your buck imo. Also has a good warranty if that is a concern of yours. I believe this rods blank is the same as the trevala, so essentially you are getting the same rod listed below but at a different price point and a slightly different model. *

2. Shimano Trevala xh- This rod is a bit more expenisve but you can do just about any type of conventional striped bass fishing with this rod. This rod is also the best on this list for Dimond jigging. You could get a ligther rod but the nice part of the XH imo is that you can flip just about any sub 35lb fish with this rod.

3. Laminglass TFX 7040 CT- you are going to spend more money on this rod than any of the others, but in this is the best rod that is on the list. This is the best striped bass rod I have owned and will proably be the last one I buy as well. Not only does it have alot of backbone, but it is soft in the tip which gives you the ability to fell your bait moving. Like i said it is a bit expesive but well worth it if you end up fishing from a boat alot.

Good luck this season, and many of the rods that were listed above are great choices as well, I just have personal experience with the rods that I have listed.

Edited by TimS
Please don’t post links to commercial sites here - thanks :-)

1 hour ago, bassfanatic said:

2. Shimano Trevala xh- This rod is a bit more expenisve but you can do just about any type of conventional striped bass fishing with this rod. This rod is also the best on this list for Dimond jigging. You could get a ligther rod but the nice part of the XH imo is that you can flip just about any sub 35lb fish with this rod.

I had a trevala spinning rod. I sold it on the bst here because it was collecting dust for too long. But it's definitely a great rod. Super light but extremely strong. Great for jigging on a boat or for surf casting too. I kinda miss it to be honest.

6 hours ago, surfcast said:

Would that be good for black fish ?

Yes I would think that the b 7040c would be an all around great striped bass/tog setup. It has great backbone as with a softer tip. Probably geared a bit more towards stripers but will still be a good rod for tog.

A Star Stellar Lite is a good option. Go with the 7' med-heavy(15-25lb), maybe the 6 1/2' if you're fishing conventional. Excellent rod for $120 and it comes with a lifetime warranty. Mine has taken everything up to a 65lb sailfish/51lb Wahoo/35lb Striper/30lb Mahi.