Justinj

Cork tape peeling

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Posted this in the rod building forum as well. The fore grip on my 9’er is beginning to unravel in one area. What’s an easy fix for this to finish out the season before having it rewrapped? I was thinking of just wrapping some electrical tape over the area that is starting to unravel with maybe hockey tape on top of it. Any recommendations?

Does it need to be re-wrapped, or are you getting the re-wrapping done because of the unraveling. If so, I have used contact cement and I was good for years:howdy:

Posted (edited) · Report post

54 mins ago, jimmy z said:

Does it need to be re-wrapped, or are you getting the re-wrapping done because of the unraveling. If so, I have used contact cement and I was good for years:howdy:

Yup, contact cement is good stuff and it can make a long lasting repair.

You can also get some nylon line and make a Turks head over the loose part. It’s not hard to do and you can find instructions online. Want it to last forever? Coat the Turks head with epoxy.

Edited by valentine

13 hours ago, Justinj said:

About a 2-2 1/2” area is unraveling about a third of the way down from the top . Rod is only 3 years old 

Why pay someone else to fix something you can do. It's an easy fix my friend

14 hours ago, jimmy z said:

Yep much better then super glue 

15 hours ago, hobobob said:

Take it to a surf rod builder or shop that builds surf rods. Easy 5 minute repair job with heat shrinks.

^^ This. You can also do this yourself: this is one rod-building DIY job that anyone can do. 

First decid if your going to fix it or shop. Personally I would take it to shop and maybe they will let you watch how they lay it out. I would recommend the black grip tape sold by Mudhole. It has a lot of grip when hands  are wet. And it can go over top of the cork if you elect. Will last longer then cork. Hope this helps 

About five years ago I covered a    cork grip with a Forten (tennis) overwrap. It’s still there protecting the cork from deteriorating. 

Put the cork tape back into place and temporarily secure with a small amount of masking tape. Next slide a section of heat shrink tubing over area and heat. Available at rod building retailers, ebay, or local electrical supply houses.

5 hours ago, Justinj said:

I wrapped the area with hockey tape for now. Thanks for all the replies 

Hockey tape is porous crap......wait till it gets wet.

Here is all I can say about using hockey tape and tennis racket raps. We fished up and down Long Island about 6 years ago 5 day trip out of a Suburban. By the 3 day the smell was horrible from one persons rods using the hockey tape. After eels fishing all night and morning fishing. The stench started. Yes we rinsed the rods daily but who honestly soaps there rods down daily  fishing out of a truck and hotel. Just my 2 cents