Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Riddler

Dry Suit Neck Seal Replacement

17 posts in this topic

Bought a Kokatat Dry Suit a couple of seasons back and had the neck seal blow out prematurely.  Pre-paid Kokatat the fee ro replace the gasket.  I can go with Neoprene or latex same cost of less then 100 bucks shipped. Anyone here favor neoprene over latex?  Just looking for durability. Taking the suit on and off seems like latex can't last.,

Posted (edited) · Report post

I sent mine in 3 months ago also  for a ripped latex neck gasket. Havent had one make 2 years yet. I prepaid for the neoprene gasket to see if It would hold up longer.

But kokatat ended up replacing the suit stating it was delaminating. 

The whole process took about 2 months.

Edited by Jeffz1

I love my neoprene neck gasket, I wouldn't get latex again, you're Mexican sweat's only gonna melt it again....;)

I see alot of guys with latex neck gaskets, they're faces are always red, looks like they're gonna burst :D

giphy.gif.7581c5637972accf3d1b81a38b7811e0.gif

Haha...See two seasons is not worth it. I admit I did not 303 after every use.  Not even every 6 uses.  Never used talcum powder on head either. Lol

I think neoprene may let some water in. I took full swim in my suit when I first got it. No water entry.  I will try the neoprene and if I don't like it I will swap it back. 

Thumbs up for the semi dry neoprene. Much more comfortable and easier on/off. 

Have two with neoprene necks. The oldest is just about five years with no issues.

Have one with latex, its probably permanently stuck to the hanger. Its been that long.

+1 on neoprene relaxed fit neck gasket. Keeps out most of water. More comfortable then latex and lasts longer with no maintenance. Kokatat replaced my semi dry suit as well for delamination. Pretty sure I paid shipping. Great company to deal with. Pretty sure it took less then a month. Have replaced the latex wrist gaskets. They don’t seem very durable. Good luck with your decision.

I got used to latex back when I was young, and can just tough it out. FWIW, changing them yourself is not rocket science, but it can be messy if you're not careful. I think I'm gonna swap out my ankle gaskets for full latex booties, one somehow got a hole in it anyway. I rolled my ankle at the takeout last week and think that maybe it was because the dive boots compressed my foot and it went to sleep. I had numbness along my instep after but it could have been from the sprain.

Does anyone know anything about silicone gaskets? I saw them for dive drysuits, but don't know if they're used for boating. Sounds like it's overkill, but interesting. They can't be glued, so there's a mechanical mounting system that makes them 'quick change'.

Silicone Neck Seals are constructed from hypoallergenicic silicone that have 40 % better stretch and offer enhanced comfort compared to latex seals. Divers with latex allergies can dive carefree, knowing that the seals are non-allergenic. The seals are durable and resistant to degradation by UV light, ozone or chemicals. The elasticity makes donning the suit much easier and it seals with your skin more effectively.

Neoprene is a lot more comfortable than the latex. Not 100% waterproof but pretty close when wearing a pfd. I just replaced a torn wrist gasket on my kokatat. Very easy to do and you don't need to buy the installation kit

20191027_081749.jpg

20191027_081754.jpg

20191027_081807.jpg

20191027_081915.jpg

On 11/5/2019 at 4:29 PM, The Riddler said:

Bought a Kokatat Dry Suit a couple of seasons back and had the neck seal blow out prematurely.  Pre-paid Kokatat the fee ro replace the gasket.  I can go with Neoprene or latex same cost of less then 100 bucks shipped. Anyone here favor neoprene over latex?  Just looking for durability. Taking the suit on and off seems like latex can't last.,

How timely. This past weekend as I was taking off my Kokatat drysuit, I ended up ripping the neck gasket. Wasn't anything out of the ordinary that I was doing, but I guess it's just wear and tear over time. However, this is only my second season with this current drysuit. I think I'll go with neoprene on the replacement. 

@The Riddler - can you elaborate on how you set up the repair with Kokatat? When I go to the Kokatat repair and maintenance website, I only see the option for the "Latex Neck Gasket Factory replacement" for $85. Did they follow up with you via email and then give you the choice for a neoprene one at the same cost? 

I've had a good experience with Kokatat's customer service in the past, as they also replaced an old dry suit due to delamination. Granted they gave me credit and I upgraded to a more expensive suit, but customer service was prompt and accommodating. 

Its a good system they set up.  You call them 

and tell them what you need. I spoke to them  about Neoprene instead of Latex. Its the same price.  Everyone agrees neoprene may let a small amount of water in but it will last longer. In the box I left a note that reminded them its a neoprene gasket replacement not latex.  You pay shipping there.  Takes about 2 weeks to do.

E262D209-6674-4E98-9C99-993D480B65E0.jpeg

The instructions you get from kokatat are pretty good. Yes the suit is suppose to go through the washing machine before you return it. It was the first time I ever put mine in a washing machine.

Latex neck gasket and tube of Aquaseal (something everyone should have anyway to repair their drygear) is $29 on Amazon.  I have the latex booties in my cart, $20. I can't wait! You wear fluffy wool socks under, and Tevas over, your feet stay toasty warm because the insulating air layer is not being compressed and you have great circulation. Plus you get the better footing of the Tevas.

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Its a good system they set up.  You call them 

and tell them what you need. I spoke to them  about Neoprene instead of Latex.

In the box I left a note that reminded them its a neoprene gasket replacement not latex.  

E262D209-6674-4E98-9C99-993D480B65E0.jpeg

I think I'd feel a little un easy  getting this p.o. from them, says factory latex gasket replacement..... that would be the only thing other than a verbal conversation that states what the customer is getting.....

who knows how many hands this goes through before the actual work gets done ...

Even though neoprene was discussed,  it has no special instructions stating "customer requests neoprene gasket substitute for factory installed latex"..... 

let's hope that sku # is for a neoprene gasket not latex.

Btw, Great idea with the note in the box  :th:

1 hour ago, BillZ said:

I think I'd feel a little un easy  getting this p.o. from them, says factory latex gasket replacement..... that would be the only thing other than a verbal conversation that states what the customer is getting.....

who knows how many hands this goes through before the actual work gets done ...

Even though neoprene was discussed,  it has no special instructions stating "customer requests neoprene gasket substitute for factory installed latex"..... 

let's hope that sku # is for a neoprene gasket not latex.

Btw, Great idea with the note in the box  :th:

They told me to put note in box.