DroTanc

Conventional rod and reel for tog

Rate this topic

121 posts in this topic

Hi all first time posting on the bottom fishing forum. I’m looking to get a good tog set up for fishing the jetties and the occasional boat trip. Is there and rod reel combo that can handle lighter weights like 1oz upto the higher ones needed for that boat? 

edit: trying to keep the whole combo under $500

Edited by DroTanc
Forgot to include information

just started fishing a tsunami trophy slow pitch rod. its been an awesome rod so far. paired it with a lexa 300. excellent tog rig fishing setup. i like to fish the jig on spinning gear. 

My jig set up from the rocks right now is a shimano trevala with a daiwa bg and it does just fine. Always have used baitcasters in the freshwater world but I wanted to try the conventional route for the salt. What’s the max drag on the lexa?

A Trevala or Trevala S which is the lighter green rod and a Daiwa Saltist lever drag is what I have been using for years. I have a Lexa on another rod but use that more for casting than bottom fishing. 

Penn Fathom 12, full of 50 or 65lb braid. (also excellent for surfcasting) and a  tough fiberglass rod, I'd probably try an old school UglyStik, you won't mind beating it up. You don't "gentle" Tog, you have to pull like you mean it.

Fathom 12, Best casting reel I have tried. Size of an Abu 6500, crazy strong and smooth drag. This one is full of 215 yards of 65lb PowerPro Slick

fathom.jpg

Edited by Stewie
spelling

48 mins ago, z-man said:

A Trevala or Trevala S which is the lighter green rod and a Daiwa Saltist lever drag is what I have been using for years. I have a Lexa on another rod but use that more for casting than bottom fishing. 

What size saltist?

Parts for the Saltist are outrageously expensive and it has a serious design flaw. The Fathom outshines it in every way. I sold my Saltist after having a heck of a time getting parts for it.