Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishermanTim

voting today (local elections).....

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

This is not about the candidates, but rather about the referendum question on the ballot.

Here in Boston, apparently things are going so well that the only issue needing to be decided at this point is this:

Do you think they should rename Dudley Square to Nubian Square? 

I don't know who filed this bill, but whoever it was is a complete moron. Surely there must be some other wet-dream project they could've wasted time and money on, RIGHT?

We had a ranked voting proposal, increase the police ccrb, something with land use, increasing the time an elected official can become a lobbyist, and funding for borough presidents.

I don't give two craps about any of this stuff if it doesn't involve money. They could rename Broad Street the Gary Heidnik Highway and I wouldn't give two ****. 

All I care about is government spending are money. I vote against that ever chance I get. :th:

Here's an old Philly joke: 

Did you hear that they named a Philly street against the late Joan Krajewski? 
Yeah, Broad Street! 

To change the name from Dudley Square to Nubian Square all because over 200 years ago this former Governor of Massachusetts approved of slavery in his state. Well the area where the Nubians are from Sudan & Egypt still practice slavery in some form to this day. How about you change its name to a prominent member of the community who has passed, or rename it Roxbury Square. I believe that is the area it is located in, stop with this nonsense of claiming to right the perceived wrongs of past generations. What does the Nubian people have to do with that area of Roxbury ? Just because someone is of African descent doesn't mean they are Nubian. 

See, the problem is that in order to get this question on the ballot they HAD to spend taxpayer money.

Next big screw-job by the MA democrats will be a nice series of gas taxes to help fund their new, next BIG DIG....to overhaul the decrepit MBTA system. A system that waste more money than a crack addict and compulsive gambler combined.

They have known about the systems failing infrastructure for well over 20-30 years, but their "brain-trust" solution was to increase fares to fund "Band-Aid on a bullet wound" fixes...OH, and to build multiple transgender bathrooms that are now pretty much unusable.

I recall having written a letter to a local paper's editorial dept. regarding the fare increases back in the 90's....and as we've all seen, the system is about as bad (if not worse) than ever!!! 

The state's goal is to basically punish everyone to help pay for one system fix which will definitely take decades to finish and cost billions (now) and billions (later) to continue to fix....because we all know that government projects always finish ON TIME and ON BUDGET!!!!

**** the T, drive to work. That said it certainly needs some major investment.

As far as renaming Dudley Square, at this point I couldn't care less...the city is a **** hotbed and they're going to find a way, eventually, to change things to just the way they want 'em. May as well happen now...

18 hours ago, FishermanTim said:

See, the problem is that in order to get this question on the ballot they HAD to spend taxpayer money.

And a waste it was, as the non-binding bill was rejected and the mayor intends to make the change regardless of the vote. :wee: 

What would this ballot measure change?

The ballot measure would add a section addressing crime victims' rights to the Pennsylvania Constitution Declaration of Rights. The proposed language is modeled on Marsy's Law, a type of constitutional bill of rights for crime victims.[2][3]

The ballot measure would provide crime victims with 15 specific constitutional rights, including a right to:[2][3]

• be treated with fairness and respect for the victim's safety, dignity, and privacy;
  • proceedings free from unreasonable delay and a prompt and final conclusion of the case;
  • have the safety of the victim and victim's family considered when setting the bail amount and release conditions for the accused;
  • reasonable and timely notice of public proceedings involving the criminal conduct;
  • be present at public proceedings involving the criminal conduct;
  • be heard at proceedings where a right of the victim is implicated, including release, sentencing, and parole proceedings;
  • receive notice of any pretrial disposition of the case, with the exception of grand jury proceedings;
  • provide information to be considered before the parole of the offender;
  • reasonable protection from the accused and those acting on the behalf of the accused;
  • reasonable notice of the release or escape of the accused;
  • refuse an interview, deposition or other discovery request made by the accused;
  • full and timely restitution from the person or entity convicted;
  • the prompt return of property when no longer needed as evidence;
  • confer with the government's attorney; and
  • be informed of all rights granted by the amendment.

The ballot measure would define crime victim as a person against whom a criminal offense or delinquent act was committed and who was directly harmed by the offense or act.[2][3]

I voted against the above measure. I'm no Seal, but, doing an end around the 6th Amendment is bullspit.

:v:

Politicians will always try to sneak things thru that will benefit THEMSELVES and affect EVERYONE ELSE.

I can recall some years back our "beloved" governor tried a number of times to have the F&G funding merged with the state's "rainy-day" funds, stating that it would easier to maintain one account and would be easily accessed.

The problem was that he meant easily accessed by HIM...to help pay for some of his "pal" projects and wet-dream failures.

Needless to say the F&G department read him the riot act and MADE him put back the funds and NEVER try that again. What I found repugnant was that our governor tried it almost every year before he found a sneaky way to steal the funds. Now, as much as we may hate how the F&G operates (or fails to) with regards to access and visible EPO presence, the state takes the cake when it comes to arrogant and irresponsible behavior....and they continue to do it and get away with it.