buddha162

More Fall Smallies

15 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, Mack26 said:

Few tubs in there buddha! Looked to be a great day, thanks for sharing!

Thanks! I've certainly had my fill of bronze this year...hoping for a few more trips before ice in.

18 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Thanks! I've certainly had my fill of bronze this year...hoping for a few more trips before ice in.

I miss my boat that i sold late summer, cause this time of year you get the lake to yourself, and the fish are usually BIG!

Be nice to see some pics and here and talk some techniques for fall from the kayak. 

I am just digging out blade baits now.  Hope to get a trip in soon before winter.

Edited by The Riddler

17 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Be nice to see some pics and here and talk some techniques for fall from the kayak. 

I am just digging out blade baits now.  Hope to get a trip in soon before winter.

Blade baits are killer on deeper ledges. These two are always my top producers in very cold water.

4C8DB06C-5132-4EC3-B184-33661E29F09A.jpeg

6 mins ago, Mack26 said:

Blade baits are killer on deeper ledges. These two are always my top producers in very cold water.

Nice Mack. I had decent luck with the blades jigging for SB but would like to try em on walleye and sm. 

Absolutely, SMB will crush these worked up a ledge face in deeper water. This time of year, you need to use your electronics and locate them. They will usually be grouped up in large wolf packs, and can be super aggressive. The hits can be explosive!

18 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I am just digging out blade baits not.  Hope to get a trip in soon before winter.

This is really the first year I'm targeting smallies, and my experience is limited to a few herring lakes in NJ. I'm usually cruising around looking for bait, and if I see any then I'll slow down and look for pods of smallies. They move fast, and there's a lot of guestimating distances (I don't have side scan) and letting your jig/spoon pendulum over their heads. I did improve on my knack for quickly triangulating where the fish might be once I go over them, and lining up short pitches and casts more accurately...it helps to know how much line is coming off my reel too, I do that mostly by counting rod lengths once the bait hits the water. If you make a good pitch, many times the smallies will follow your jig as it swings to vertical under the kayak, and that's where they will hit. They seem to want to feed up, so I tend to err on the side of a shallow trajectory vs going through/past them. 

Straight dropping on them works too, but is lower % esp on calm/sunny days. They don't seem to like the Boat overhead + bait in face sequence. These are heavily pressured waters. I've counted 22 fish taking turns zooming up to my jig and turning away. That's about 2 min of holding my breath watching the sonar screen lol. 

I've got the blade baits ready for once that water falls below 50. Like lipless cranks, once you put single hooks on them the hookup-land ratio is terrible if you're bottom bouncing, though not bad enough to make me resort to trebles. I haven't targeted smallies in low 40F temps in the Fall...I'm hoping I can connect with deep diving jerkbaits, but they'll prob be too deep for that.  

32 mins ago, Mack26 said:

How deep does that Ima Flit run? I had a couple this Spring but the bills cracked off...never caught a thing on them. 

How deep have you called up smallies? Will they come up from say, 20ft to hit a jerkbait running at 10? 

17 mins ago, buddha162 said:

How deep does that Ima Flit run? I had a couple this Spring but the bills cracked off...never caught a thing on them. 

How deep have you called up smallies? Will they come up from say, 20ft to hit a jerkbait running at 10? 

Depending on the size of the flouro you use,( i use 15# braid to an 8-10# leader), you can acheive a depth from 6-8 ft on average. I don’t usually fish them in a depth of more than 10-12 ft., but have used them near drop offs, and drawn fish from deeper than that im sure. 20 ft might be a stretch, but smallies have incredible vision and are sight feeders, so depending on the water clarity, it’s definately a possibility. Places like Champlain, you can throw tubes to them and they come from great distances to grab them. 

My favorite way to fish the Flit is to find the windiest bank you can on the lake, and if it has some chunk rock and gravel, and of course SM, it’s a good chance you will find fish. 

5 mins ago, Mack26 said:

Depending on the size of the flouro you use,( i use 15# braid to an 8-10# leader), you can acheive a depth from 6-8 ft on average. I don’t usually fish them in a depth of more than 10-12 ft., but have used them near drop offs, and drawn fish from deeper than that im sure. 20 ft might be a stretch, but smallies have incredible vision and are sight feeders, so depending on the water clarity, it’s definately a possibility. Places like Champlain, you can throw tubes to them and they come from great distances to grab them. 

My favorite way to fish the Flit is to find the windiest bank you can on the lake, and if it has some chunk rock and gravel, and of course SM, it’s a good chance you will find fish. 

Yeah I don't think the lakes I'm fishing are good jerk bait lakes...very little shallow (sub 12ft) rock structure that's not right on the bank. Maybe they will make a push toward the banks but so far it's been a pelagic open water deal. I need to expand my horizons a bit and hit other lakes because I love the jerkbait bite. I remember every jerkbait fish I caught this Spring like it was yesterday...so fun when they smash it on the pause. 

Have you played around with different jerkbaits much? The somewhat surprising winner for me this year was the Duo 110SP...thing looked pretty clumsy in the water to my eyes, but I'm not a bass. Close second was a 110+1. Every winter I go on a jerkbait buying spree...will grab another couple of flits for sure.

You reminded me how huge wind is in the Fall...in my experience much bigger factor than in the Spring. Past few weeks if you were hiding from the wind you might as well go home! 

I really like the Flit best, but i like the Lucky Craft Pointer and Staycee too. There are a  lot of different options, but the Flit is what i have confidence in. They’ll work in open water flats too, as long as you have deeper water near by. By deeper, i mean sometimes a change of just a few feet can be a magnet.

It’s all about the bait in the Fall. Find the bait and you’ll find the fish. A windy bank is always a good place to start.