Angler #1

Cape Cod Charly's

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

may not be with us any more to observe however some history still is in the wings that needs a little elaboration.  This is about the time it was used to build rods and not sure who it may have been for sure if any one with any experience in that information , was it one of the following

Gary Kenny

Bill Thomas

MIke Thomas

John Gibbs

Robby Willis

Thank you for getting involved in this conversation

29 mins ago, bradW said:

Not sure what your question is, but my father did build rods out of the shop during his tenure. 

Did he build them custom for others or just for himself. Back in those time every one I fished with would take the time to build rods for there own use , including myself when I got the room to do so .

I believe one of the rods I was just given has a Cape Cod Charlies on it? Would he have left all of his wrapping spools and guides behind ? I can date the guides to back towards the 60's or so. Most left were all stainless rings and mounts, but some with inserts. I am sort of leaning towards the Thomas's and even though your father did build rods I do not see him leaving anything of value at that time for someone else to make use. Every penny was needed for the family  it is good to know that he did in fact wrap rod there however. Even better if he did some custom building as well?  Thanks for getting back

Robbie built a rod for me......It was actually a gift from scotty haskell to me and robbie put it together. It was a brown s-glass 3m wrapped for spinning. I jigged alot of big bluefish with that rod. Someone "borrowed" it out of my truck one day......They are welcome to return it anytime they want!

Johnny gibbs and I met after I applied for a job at gibbs lures. I went to high school with his daughter lisa so I guess I had an in!. Both John and I were a lil nuts about the long distance casting craze. We all had ZZiplex rods we bought from ron arra. Man, we cast some yards for sure.......

Wrapping rods was easy...I used the Andy and Al method.....We would use electrical tape as underwrap and 20 pound dacron line as top wrap. A splash of gudebrod rod varnish and you were good to go! 

Edited by robc22

17 mins ago, robc22 said:

Wrapping rods was easy...I used the Andy and Al method.....We would use electrical tape as underwrap and 20 pound dacron line as top wrap. A splash of gudebrod rod varnish and you were good to go! 

Rob,

Thanks for bringing back the memory. I can still see Andy and Al Mamaty's custom rods in my mind's eye.  As you described, electric tape, wrapped with Gudebrod Dacron.

I also have a custom Harnell Robbie Willis wrapped for me. 

Several rod builders of the time especially the brother of the owner of Fisherman's Friend across the street was Whitey Krueger built some great custom rods at his shop in Dorchester for awhile . However this discussions about Cape Cod Charlies and I should stick to it.

Given we had so many owners over the years at the shop, it is interesting to see that a few did in fact build rods , did they all build them as custom roads , say for example like Charlie does at CMS . Ron Depolise, Charlie Murat at that time and obtain some reputation as such. Charlie Murat and Al Cappy were among the well known builders of the time along with Whitey and the Desfanos [sp] in those early years . Red Top also had some one who built a good stick, the name eludes me.

I do know of a custom rod builder that made and sold rods under the name of Versitex from Spring City Pa. that was back in 1984 and to this day builds custom rods for some well known rods, like the Century rod and multiple other rod builders listed on there web site . When I began I never heard of them and when speaking with a representative on the phone in attempting to identify two 8 foot rods with there name on it , they no longer use there name when they build the rods or so I was told yesterday . They are also a huge supplier of rod building equipment . The rods have the name Canal 80 printed on the blank, which might be a Shakespeare blank back in that time frame. Some one had decided to have them custom make a few canal rods and given the rod and how it was made would have made a great live herring rod , jigging stick or drifting chunks. A little more history on a old shop that is gone of into the sunset, but not to be forgotten in the near future of canal History