golden

Shimano Nasci 5K vs Daiwa BG 3K

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Okay guys, looking for feedback here.  For those who have used both, can you tell me which way you lean?  These two models seems similar in price, weight, and line capacity, with the Nasci having the edge on drag (but I don't think I'd ever push it too the max).  I've heard good things about the BG, and I own a Nasci 5K already, just looking for reviews on the BG 3000 to consider.

Thanks!

14 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

The one complaint I have about the BG3000 is its retrieve rate is slow compared to my stradics. Never handled a Nasci.

Thanks - def like the retrieve rate of the nasci for albies - similar to the stradic; but then again I switch retrieves all the time from fast to slow to medium wobble.

What type of fishing are you going to be doing?  I use a BG3000 for throwing metal for Spanish/Blues in the surf.  I use 30lb braid and never have any issues.  If I could have done it again I would bought the BG3500 to help it balance on my rod a little bit better. 

I would step up to a 3500 though if you were thinking about the 3000.

Depends on what you plan on using it for, I use a stradic for more finesse fishing applications like throwing light soft plastics and bucktails/jigs for schoolie bass and fluke fishing. I do own a 3k BG that handles more of the grunt work and much more heavy duty fishing like diamond jigging larger bass and tog jigging. Cant speak to the Nasci but appears to be relatively similar to stradic minus some features. 

I would choose the BG over the nasci.  That reel never really impressed me.  

The BG is the best reel at the price.   Another reel to look at is the new spheros inshore.  I'd take that all day every day over the nasci.   It's a stradic with the nasci bail.  A bushing for a line roller, minus a second bb on the main gear like the stradics of yesteryear.   And a carbon fiber drag and what appears to be a simpler spool support method.   I haven't fished it but have the stradics....it's pretty darn close.  Both the BG and Stradics are proven....so by default the Spheros inshore should hold up about as well.  

For the sub 200$ price tag......BG, Spheros Inshore, Tatula/Procyon lt, Stradic FL.

Those are my picks for the best in the price ranges.

Spinfisher isn't the best.  Though it's not the worst.  

I had a Nasci 3000 and loved it. But then again, the Sahara and other models are just like that and cheaper. Looked at the BGs today, and I don't know why, I just don't like it. Just feels weird to me. 

I'd go with a Spinfisher or a Shimano personally. 

“For the sub 200$ price tag......BG, Spheros Inshore, Tatula/Procyon lt, Stradic FL.”

whoa,don’t know how you can put the Tatula above the fl,fk?

I bought Tatula 2500 on your recommendation and wish I hadn’t. .

Serious rotor flex,squeezable.

Way more stem flex than  Stradics or bg’s

For me not an inshore reel.

It is light though,give you that.

Edited by olvart

13 hours ago, olvart said:

“For the sub 200$ price tag......BG, Spheros Inshore, Tatula/Procyon lt, Stradic FL.”

whoa,don’t know how you can put the Tatula above the fl,fk?

I bought Tatula 2500 on your recommendation and wish I hadn’t. .

Serious rotor flex,squeezable.

Way more stem flex than  Stradics or bg’s

For me not an inshore reel.

It is light though,give you that.

I might be wrong but I think those are in order of increasing capability from left to right. Or more likely, it might just be the top performing reels in the 80-200$ category. Good to know about the tatula though, I've heard good things about the ballistic LT but it seems the tatula isn't quite as strong. 

For what it's worth, my BG 2500 has been a solid reel in the 1.5 years I've had it. I've dunked it at least once due to a kayak flip returning from an ocean trip, and it's held up very well during a ton of saltwater kayak fishing in the Chesapeake Bay, Atlantic Ocean, etc. It did get a little sand and salt in it from being dunked, and from sand just blowing around super hard one day on the beach...but I took some of it apart while watching scooby's video, cleaned and re-lubed a few parts, and it feels more or less good as new. I also packed a few spots with grease like he recommended. 

I have never used the nasci but I think I'll get the spheros inshore and put it through it's paces, and report back on it in a separate thread. Chances are though there will be plenty of feedback on this forum by the time that happens. If there's a black friday sale on the stradic FL that brings it into the 120-150 range (HIGHLY doubtful), then I'll go with that instead.