SnoozeFishing

Anyone interested in a fishing log application?

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, cartopper said:

Have given this thought, and I wouldn’t be interested in a web based fishing log.  I’ve been journaling since the mid 1980’s.  Started out as date, time, tide, conditions, place, plugs/ lures etc to more of a story.   I enjoy sitting down and placing pen to paper.

 

My kids will eventually end up with my journals and hopefully it will provide some insight into my life.  

This gave me the idea to be able to print your logs so you also had a physical copy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slowing down on fishing now that it's December. Going to start on this tomorrow. Going to be fun, once I have the skeleton of the back end side of things I'll ask you guys to pick it apart and break it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Location and Comments will be encrypted before it's sent to the database. 

Was thinking about there being an option when you create a log to make it public, keeping things like comments, specific location out. Maybe adding option to using only counties when you post it public. Undecided on that just brain storming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats the benefit to sharing data unless you want this to be a social media platform? I guess it depends on what you want to achieve with your app. Personally Im looking for a place to store fishing "data" I dont want anyone else to see that. If I want someone I know to see it then Ill make a post on IG or text someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Personally Im looking for a place to store fishing "data" I dont want anyone else to see that. 

Use a standalone app on your phone that keeps 100% of the information you enter locally, not on a cloud or database others can access - problem solved :th:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Whats the benefit to sharing data unless you want this to be a social media platform? I guess it depends on what you want to achieve with your app. Personally Im looking for a place to store fishing "data" I dont want anyone else to see that. If I want someone I know to see it then Ill make a post on IG or text someone.

Good point, the more I thought about it the more stupid it sounded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, SnoozeFishing said:

Good point, the more I thought about it the more stupid it sounded. 

So you aren’t going to add logs to a database? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 mins ago, TimS said:

Use a standalone app on your phone that keeps 100% of the information you enter locally, not on a cloud or database others can access - problem solved :th:

I liked where Snooze was going with this... I tried to work some excel magic to pull in weather data but i failed. I like how he can pull external data into his app so im more interested in what hes working up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, TimS said:

So you aren’t going to add logs to a database? 

I thought I quoted lax oops that was in response to making some of the log public if they wanted, sorta like a report. I'm scratching that. 

 

It still will be stored in a database, I will be encrypting the location data submitted before it hits the database, so unless the user is logged in with a password which will obviously be encrypted location data won't be visible. I could encrypt all data but I haven't decided if I would use all the rest of the arbitrary data, wind speed, direction, tide to analyze the data as a whole. Comments will be encrypted too, they could also contain location descriptions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried looking for a sea temperature API, but I don't think one exists, will probably have to scrape that data from noaa or something, what's everyones favorite weather source? the weather api might end up costing me a couple bucks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SnoozeFishing said:

Tried looking for a sea temperature API, but I don't think one exists, will probably have to scrape that data from noaa or something, what's everyones favorite weather source? the weather api might end up costing me a couple bucks. 

Thanks for your commitment. 

I like using Windy.com for condition reports. It has been pretty accurate.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SnoozeFishing said:

Tried looking for a sea temperature API, but I don't think one exists, will probably have to scrape that data from noaa or something, what's everyones favorite weather source? the weather api might end up costing me a couple bucks. 

I was using Weather Underground for years but they upgraded their site and my browser could barely run the website so I switch to Fish Weather dot com. Its been more accurate than any other site/app ive seen. Not the most user friendly tho so there may be other options. ***Dont forget to add in BP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DragonsLax48 said:

I was using Weather Underground for years but they upgraded their site and my browser could barely run the website so I switch to Fish Weather dot com. Its been more accurate than any other site/app ive seen. Not the most user friendly tho so there may be other options. ***Dont forget to add in BP.

What's BP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.