SnoozeFishing

Anyone interested in a fishing log application?

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, TimS said:

So you would have access to everyone’s fishing log - places, times, tides, lures, catches, etc. If that’s the case you just eliminated anyone beyond absolute beginners :)

TimS

There you go running another member off.:dismay:

3 hours ago, kyleeng said:

I didn't think of that, but now that you mention that, it would be super cool if one person had that data to do some quality analysis on it.

Lemme guess...you’ve been bass fishing seriously for a couple years? :) Not saying we all didn’t start somewhere...just that GENERALLY the guys willing to give their log book to strangers don’t GENERALLY have anything in there worth protecting :) 

Go ask Crazy Alberto to let you borrow his log book - hell, I’ll do it @Crazy Alberto - any chance you can send your logbook to a stranger so they can crunch the data? ;)  

TimS

1 hour ago, JMB said:

There you go running another member off.:dismay:

Lol, I hope he doesn’t think my offering an opinion on a product he’s using this website to develop is inappropriate. It was intended as good, honest feedback - that’s what this thread was started for, no? :squid: 

TimS

15 mins ago, TimS said:

Lol, I hope he doesn’t think my offering an opinion on a product he’s using this website to develop is inappropriate. It was intended as good, honest feedback - that’s what this thread was started for, no? :squid: 

TimS

You are correct any feedback is good. And yes I would be able to look at logs if I really wanted to, the same way any web applications employee could look at sensitive information but that comes with consequences like every other bad decision. 

There are ways to circumvent someone having bad intentions. Perhaps making up a name for a location that no one else would know. 

51 mins ago, TimS said:

Lemme guess...you’ve been bass fishing seriously for a couple years? :) Not saying we all didn’t start somewhere...just that GENERALLY the guys willing to give their log book to strangers don’t GENERALLY have anything in there worth protecting :) 

Go ask Crazy Alberto to let you borrow his log book - hell, I’ll do it @Crazy Alberto - any chance you can send your logbook to a stranger so they can crunch the data? ;)  

TimS

I get it. Anglers don't like giving their info. At least spots. But I'm not sure why sharing info on like what part of a tide fish is caught, etc.

Heck I'm someone who's always done fairly well in school and worked hard. If someone wanted an assignment that I worked many hours on, it was no skin off my back. I freely gave it. Sure they may get a good grade, but they never really went though the learning process, and that wasn't my problem. Honestly it's almost the same as watching seminars on YouTube. People just tell you what you need to know.

So when I become a pro at fishing, I'll freely give any info. Doesn't really affect me.

I'm no slouch when it comes to the fish with stripes on the side but if someone else did this already I would 100% use it. The benefits of using technology to take your logs and put patterns together would far outweigh the negatives. Never saw the point of having 10 years worth of logs in notebooks, but being able to output where your best chances to catch based on wind, tide, and moon phase with a click of a button is f'in awesome. 

15 hours ago, TimS said:

TimS

Ill take a copy as well :wave: 

Admittadly my "log" is a mess. I have information/data scattered all over. Phone notes, google maps, work computer, log book. I need to sit down and compile my data and find some different patterns.

The one thing Im organized with is notating important holding patterns in relation to structure. I enjoy sketching the nights encounters in my log book. For instance fishing in montauk with a South wind pushing water out of a bowl and creating exhuberant amounts of sweep helped me hook two giants. This is sketched in my book and Im able to recall that scenario more vividly. I think I took this idea from one of @Crazy Alberto posts somewhere.

14 hours ago, SnoozeFishing said:

You are correct any feedback is good. And yes I would be able to look at logs if I really wanted to, the same way any web applications employee could look at sensitive information but that comes with consequences like every other bad decision. 

There are ways to circumvent someone having bad intentions. Perhaps making up a name for a location that no one else would know. 

I think itd be overrated to geocode locations to a post. Not many guys will be posting while on the water. The majority of us do this at work the next day or when we wake up from a long mission in the surf. This may save you some time and money when developing the app

Allow guys to name their spots or drop a pin on a map if they so choose

1 min ago, DragonsLax48 said:

I think itd be overrated to geocode locations to a post. Not many guys will be posting while on the water. The majority of us do this at work the next day or when we wake up from a long mission in the surf. This may save you some time and money when developing the app

Allow guys to name their spots or drop a pin on a map if they so choose

Yeah I don't think the need to automatically have locations picked is important, having people customize their location name would be better.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:06 PM, TimS said:

TimS

This JMB guy is getting too big for his britches. 

On 11/15/2019 at 11:15 AM, fishless said:

This JMB guy is getting too big for his britches. 

I still love the guy :love: 

Have given this thought, and I wouldn’t be interested in a web based fishing log.  I’ve been journaling since the mid 1980’s.  Started out as date, time, tide, conditions, place, plugs/ lures etc to more of a story.   I enjoy sitting down and placing pen to paper.

My kids will eventually end up with my journals and hopefully it will provide some insight into my life.