SnoozeFishing

Anyone interested in a fishing log application?

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

I would pay for such an app. Sounds like a sweet project. I wish I could do stuff like that but my computer programming expertise ended with the "Hello World" program in high school.

This is a great idea! I would donate to this project, I'm sure many others would as well. 

IMHO, starting with a paper design, especially the database,  and asking for feedback would save tons of time re-writing things. After trying 5-10 of the existing apps, which features do we love the most? Never use? Make things too difficult? Wish were better or different in some way?

I've tried several apps out there and haven't found the perfect solution. 

Some of the apps come preloaded with choices of catch, like bluegill, carp, trout, etc. Most of us surf guys only get stripers, bluefish, fluke, robins, etc, so maybe an option to preload or not preload built in choices so you don't have to scroll through 30 choices to find a striper. Same with lures, scrolling through 60 choices to find the one I'm using also takes up too much time. Or for simplicity maybe setting up the choices manually so its only things the individual person uses regularly. 

Adding voice to text to a 'notes" section would be awesome. In addition to using an app to mark a location, I also then use the Apple voice memo app to record additional information and then type it up when I get home.

A web tool to analyze the data with different sorting options would be great. For example. at location A, which tide/wind produced the most catches. That would allow me to continue to move to the most productive spots as the tide changes. In calm conditions, which lure produced the best at location B?

Pulling in a wind forecast and logging the direction and speed would be great. Same with tide stage and cloud cover.

I know it's a reach, but an Apple Watch app tying in would be awesome! Tapping my watch to log the catch instead of unzipping a pocket and pulling out my phone while being hit by waves would be terrific. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

41 mins ago, Ed Z said:

This is a great idea! I would donate to this project, I'm sure many others would as well. 

IMHO, starting with a paper design, especially the database,  and asking for feedback would save tons of time re-writing things. After trying 5-10 of the existing apps, which features do we love the most? Never use? Make things too difficult? Wish were better or different in some way?

I've tried several apps out there and haven't found the perfect solution. 

Some of the apps come preloaded with choices of catch, like bluegill, carp, trout, etc. Most of us surf guys only get stripers, bluefish, fluke, robins, etc, so maybe an option to preload or not preload built in choices so you don't have to scroll through 30 choices to find a striper. Same with lures, scrolling through 60 choices to find the one I'm using also takes up too much time. Or for simplicity maybe setting up the choices manually so its only things the individual person uses regularly. 

Adding voice to text to a 'notes" section would be awesome. In addition to using an app to mark a location, I also then use the Apple voice memo app to record additional information and then type it up when I get home.

A web tool to analyze the data with different sorting options would be great. For example. at location A, which tide/wind produced the most catches. That would allow me to continue to move to the most productive spots as the tide changes. In calm conditions, which lure produced the best at location B?

Pulling in a wind forecast and logging the direction and speed would be great. Same with tide stage and cloud cover.

I know it's a reach, but an Apple Watch app tying in would be awesome! Tapping my watch to log the catch instead of unzipping a pocket and pulling out my phone while being hit by waves would be terrific. 

John Skinners fishing log app is the best I've seen so far, I would'nt even think about creating another one if he made it a web application. Some things can be left to manual entry, things like plugs would be manual entry and then saved to a drop down like you suggested. Things that would be used for analytics like tide, wind, moon phase would be on a drop down. The voice to text in the comments should be standard with your phone keyboard and don't think that would have to be implemented within the app. I'm thinking i'll create a functional log first and then implement things like automatic weather entries based on location. Judging by the amount of people that would use this on a cell phone, myself included sitting in the car right after a trip it will be mobile first. I fish harder than most the month of November, so this will be my winter project, but it will be done by Spring! 

Edited by SnoozeFishing

I have Skinners app and love it. 

The only thing missing, I think, is a mobile app version.  This would make entering data more accurate and detailed if you can enter it on the spot while it's vivid in your mind.  At the same time accessing data helps also to compare conditions with prior productive dates. 

Being able to take pics and simply move them from your fone to the mobile app OR open the app before your session and any pics taken after that would automatically be in your fishing app for the days session.

A few things that would be nice.

Have it so you can see a bunch of outings at the same time...like an excel sheet 

when adding an outing to the log.  Make it so when your done adding info.  You hit enter....but the Enter key would be a color of your choice button.  So you can confirm the entry and color code it in one button press.   That way some outings can stand out in a massive list.  And it'd be quick to code it.  

And you can label the color coding.

(black text)

Highlighter yellow for epic

Blue for boat

Purple for Pigs

white for skunks

Not sure if this has all the features you're looking for and I haven't tried Skinner's log, but I use an app called Fishing Points to log catches and locations. Might be worth taking a look at!

Id love to help test when you are ready!

A few things that would make your app unique and practical.

- Use a calender type feature that would roll up data into weekly or monthly higher level detail. Like when I look at my outlook calender to see what meetings i have for the upcoming week and month. This should show moon phase, # of fish caught, wind, and location. Color coding could be useful to denote great days vs ****** days. 1 fish thats a cow is red vs 5 fish under 28" that would be blue.

- A good search feature and filter feature could be very useful. 1) you could use this feature to filter on specific wind directions and wind speed paired with tide to determine where you want to fish in the future. 2) when I lose my memory through the years id like to recall events such as fishing partners names or boat names... my next point

- a journal feature should be an option with each entry. A fishing log is also a journal to help recall those EPIC nights. Its good practice to detail certain spots and structure markings.

A lot could go into this and Id love to brainstorm when you get to the development phase

3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

A few things that would be nice.

Have it so you can see a bunch of outings at the same time...like an excel sheet 

when adding an outing to the log.  Make it so when your done adding info.  You hit enter....but the Enter key would be a color of your choice button.  So you can confirm the entry and color code it in one button press.   That way some outings can stand out in a massive list.  And it'd be quick to code it.  

And you can label the color coding.

(black text)

Highlighter yellow for epic

Blue for boat

Purple for Pigs

white for skunks

This^^^ Just saw this after I posted. Itd be nice to see this rolled into a calender format

On 11/4/2019 at 11:17 PM, SnoozeFishing said:

Analytics of the data would be a big part of the app. 

So you would have access to everyone’s fishing log - places, times, tides, lures, catches, etc. If that’s the case you just eliminated anyone beyond absolute beginners :)

TimS

7 mins ago, TimS said:

So you would have access to everyone’s fishing log - places, times, tides, lures, catches, etc. If that’s the case you just eliminated anyone beyond absolute beginners :)

TimS

People still use face book and they have all your data sold it and built a psychological profile on you. they also intend to create a credit score based on the people you associate with. 

9 mins ago, TimS said:

TimS

That must be how Skinner got so good!  ;)

12 mins ago, TimS said:

TimS

I didn't think of that, but now that you mention that, it would be super cool if one person had that data to do some quality analysis on it.

4 mins ago, kyleeng said:

I didn't think of that, but now that you mention that, it would be super cool if one person had that data to do some quality analysis on it.

Ill take one for the team... Please send me all of your detailed log information