SnoozeFishing

Anyone interested in a fishing log application?

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about creating a fishing log web application. It would be free. There are no good digital fishing logs out besides Skinners but he uses a Java bases application and doesn't offer support for Mac. I'm a web developer by trade. 

Any specific features you guys would like to see? Anyone in the business want to collab on the project I would be using mostly Rails. 

Analytics of the data would be a big part of the app. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in data analytics. I know python and i mainly specialize in data libraries. If that is any help, I'd love to be a part of it.  Never used Rails though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would be interested. I have a book but I've been lazy about it. I'm a network engineer so I don't think I'm very useful in helping but if you were interested in working where I do (around Philadelphia) as a web developer, let me know. We can shoot the breeze about fishing most of the day. It's a rails shop.

Edited by hurricane1091

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea I'd use it!  Tide, time, wind, moon, weather stuff would preferably be automatically pulled based on location with ability to edit.  Also a type in field for log obviously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to do it. The backend I can probably do in a week, I'm terrible at design so it will take me a while to put the user experience together.

10 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

I would be interested. I have a book but I've been lazy about it. I'm a network engineer so I don't think I'm very useful in helping but if you were interested in working where I do (around Philadelphia) as a web developer, let me know. We can shoot the breeze about fishing most of the day. It's a rails shop.

 I currently work remotely on contract, if something changes I'll let you know, thanks! I appreciate it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd definitely be interested. I agree with sbc and would make sure the time, tide, wind, moon, bar. pressure and air temp would be automatically populated based off of your current location. Or maybe its better to have a drop down where the user will select his location. That way the correct tide data is being pulled which I think is critical.

 

For manual input fields you'll need to add water temp, water quality/sea conditions, equip used, whether natural bait or artificials were used, etc...just some ideas.

 

Also, having an option to indicate whether you fished in the ocean, a bay, an inlet, river for your location would be pretty important, big picture wise, once you start getting lots of data. You could also have an option to choose if you were in a boat or shore fishing but Im not sure if thats completely necessary. See what some others think about it.

 

Dont forget having the option to include a picture is nice to have and pretty standard it seems for reports/logs, albeit not important for the analytics side of things

 

Looking forward to seeing what this turns into. The potential is there...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not involved in any of the IT stuff, so no idea what's involved, but you might consider it as a universal application regardless of the type of water or fish species. I know bass anglers who would like to have a "better" app for logging their fishing, especially tournament guys. 

 

My one son is a web developer, and he's adamant about making sure his programs are expandable without having to redesign every time, and about the end result being as user friendly as possible. That's not something the user might be concerned with, but in the end it affects the user. I down loaded a fly tying app one time, and IMO it was a dead end.

 

Basically it was just a spread sheet and took way too much time to input information. As I said, I'm old, and my typing sucks, especially on my phone and I know others who are worse than myself about using technology. Folks can use all the help that they can get to make this stuff easy & convenient to use, otherwise what good is it? 

 

You guys understand the technical side, but an old guy like me has no clue, and you have to allow for that. 

 

I tried keeping a log years ago, on paper, but for various reasons gave up. Mostly that I got lazy about taking the time to do it, so making it as easy as possible to use, which takes up less time would be a plus. 

 

Tall order perhaps, particularly for a free app? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lost 6-7 years of logs a couple years ago and never started again

 

would love to see something easy to use from the phone so i stop being lazy about it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, part cork said:

lost 6-7 years of logs a couple years ago and never started again

 

would love to see something easy to use from the phone so i stop being lazy about it

Same.  I kept a log for about 5 years which I lost 2 years back and never restarted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jim H said:

I'm not involved in any of the IT stuff, so no idea what's involved, but you might consider it as a universal application regardless of the type of water or fish species. I know bass anglers who would like to have a "better" app for logging their fishing, especially tournament guys. 

 

My one son is a web developer, and he's adamant about making sure his programs are expandable without having to redesign every time, and about the end result being as user friendly as possible. That's not something the user might be concerned with, but in the end it affects the user. I down loaded a fly tying app one time, and IMO it was a dead end.

 

Basically it was just a spread sheet and took way too much time to input information. As I said, I'm old, and my typing sucks, especially on my phone and I know others who are worse than myself about using technology. Folks can use all the help that they can get to make this stuff easy & convenient to use, otherwise what good is it? 

 

You guys understand the technical side, but an old guy like me has no clue, and you have to allow for that. 

 

I tried keeping a log years ago, on paper, but for various reasons gave up. Mostly that I got lazy about taking the time to do it, so making it as easy as possible to use, which takes up less time would be a plus. 

 

Tall order perhaps, particularly for a free app? 

Apps should be expandable but you should start with something workable first and then expand to meet the needs. I also think making it specific to the northeast surf angler would lessen the clutter that so many other ones have. And it's not a tall order at all, this actually isn't going to be that hard to create and the amount of space needed would be negligible.

 

24 mins ago, part cork said:

lost 6-7 years of logs a couple years ago and never started again

 

would love to see something easy to use from the phone so i stop being lazy about it

Will definitely be able to be used on mobile. One of the beauties of web based applications. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried ones out there now and was not very helpful.  Love the idea of you making a better one.

  1. I would use it and provide feedback in needed
  2. Lots of smart people on SOL - I am impressed
  3. Who stole all of your fishing logs two years ago???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Sheisty said:

I'd use it. To document the skunks.

Yes, it would be even more useful if there were actually fish to log. :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.