eelbasher

Mitre saw or table saw?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Just found out why my through drilling has gone to crap....my mitre saw doesn’t cut true anymore. Time to get a new one. Deciding if I should get a table saw or another mitre. 

What would be be a better choice?

Unless I misunderstand something, I'm with capesams on this...whether drilling on the lathe or drill press, through drilling accurately shouldn't depend on a square face unless that's just how your process is designed to work.  I drill through curved surfaces accurately, and they don't get much more un-square than that.

But to answer your question regarding a miter saw or table saw...depends on what you need to do with it.  Miter saws can't safely rip long boards to width, but table saws can.  But with a table saw you might have to build a good accurate cross cut sled to obtain the accuracy and repeatability of a miter saw.  I'm sure there are tons of other pros/cons between the two.  I'd suggest one of each and use the one that's more appropriate for the task at hand. 

I have both and use the table saw a lot more. Course I am building some 2 foot wide, 9 foot long walnut counter tops, so there's that. If all you ever do is small or hobby work, sliding mitre saw may do the trick for you. 

55 mins ago, cmyers said:

Unless I misunderstand something, I'm with capesams on this...whether drilling on the lathe or drill press, through drilling accurately shouldn't depend on a square face unless that's just how your process is designed to work.  I drill through curved surfaces accurately, and they don't get much more un-square than that.

But to answer your question regarding a miter saw or table saw...depends on what you need to do with it.  Miter saws can't safely rip long boards to width, but table saws can.  But with a table saw you might have to build a good accurate cross cut sled to obtain the accuracy and repeatability of a miter saw.  I'm sure there are tons of other pros/cons between the two.  I'd suggest one of each and use the one that's more appropriate for the task at hand. 

I have no idea how you could through drill on the lathe with a end that is not square. Maybe it has nothing to do with the drilling. 

25 mins ago, eelbasher said:

I have no idea how you could through drill on the lathe with a end that is not square. Maybe it has nothing to do with the drilling. 

Mount your drill chuck in the head stock.  Holding the work piece in your hand, line up the drill bit with the entry hole.  Line up the point of the tail stock with the exit hole.  Start the lathe and slowly crank the tail stock to push the work piece toward the head stock (thereby drilling your hole).  Keep a tight grip on the work piece obviously.  Back the bit out often to clear the shavings.  Stop before the bit reaches the tail stock and flip the work piece around so that you drill from the other side until your holes meet.  I do this with fully shaped bodies that have the square ends already removed.

There are tons of suggestions in this forum for successful through drilling on both the lathe and drill press.

36 mins ago, cmyers said:

Mount your drill chuck in the head stock.  Holding the work piece in your hand, line up the drill bit with the entry hole.  Line up the point of the tail stock with the exit hole.  Start the lathe and slowly crank the tail stock to push the work piece toward the head stock (thereby drilling your hole).  Keep a tight grip on the work piece obviously.  Back the bit out often to clear the shavings.  Stop before the bit reaches the tail stock and flip the work piece around so that you drill from the other side until your holes meet.  I do this with fully shaped bodies that have the square ends already removed.

There are tons of suggestions in this forum for successful through drilling on both the lathe and drill press.

Ok that makes more sense. Still wouldn’t I get a problem from not having a straight cut on my blanks and turning on the lathe?

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, eelbasher said:

Ok that makes more sense. Still wouldn’t I get a problem from not having a straight cut on my blanks and turning on the lathe?

Not if you hold the work piece in your hand rather than having it mounted on the lathe in a chuck by some other fashion.  I finally found a post that illustrates it well...by @Jigman:

Oh, and my only difference is that I'll finish hole on the lathe rather than with a hand drill.  But either way should work.

Edited by cmyers

38 mins ago, cmyers said:

Not if you hold the work piece in your hand rather than having it mounted on the lathe in a chuck by some other fashion.  I finally found a post that illustrates it well...by @Jigman:

Oh, and my only difference is that I'll finish hole on the lathe rather than with a hand drill.  But either way should work.

Definitely going to try this. Thank you

Ripping boards for plug blanks: table saw

Cutting blanks to length for plugs: miter saw

Cutting the square ends off and cutting lip slots: band saw

I cut the square ends off before I thru drill so often the plug face is not square. If you are miss drilling a lot, it may have more to do with your technique or dull drill bits. 

8 mins ago, Jig Man said:

Ripping boards for plug blanks: table saw

Cutting blanks to length for plugs: miter saw

Cutting the square ends off and cutting lip slots: band saw

I cut the square ends off before I thru drill so often the plug face is not square. If you are miss drilling a lot, it may have more to do with your technique or dull drill bits. 

Yeah I’m switching my method around and trying a few new ways. I just want to make sure I’m not missing stupid stuff in prior steps.