Little

End of an Era for Motor Racing

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Today, Roger Penske announced he has bought Indianapolis Motor Speedway  AND Indycar inc.  Makes sense, but shocked me.

I went this year to the race.  My 14th one, but the first in 16 years.  Witnessed history, the last race under the ownership of the Hulmans, theyve had it since ww2.

2019 Indy 500.jpeg

Edited by Little

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:29 PM, Little said:

Today, Roger Penske announced he has bought Indianapolis Motor Speedway  AND Indycar inc.  Makes sense, but shocked me.

Why were you shocked?

18 mins ago, fishless said:

Always wanted to go. Soon.  Love the pic, has me already thinking of next Mem Day wknd.  Got anymore to share?

The seats from the above photo have been in my "circle" since 1972.  My dad and his buds went in 72 and sat inside the pits seats (sucked).  Got those seats when he left the track that day.  I went in 73, the year of the Salt Walther crash and the crash that killed Swede Savage.

I have told many many people-if you are not remotely a race fan, go anyway.  Its an amazing amazing spectacle to see.  Ive dragged many a person kicking and screaming to a race, every one of them loved it.

I got a great video this year.  My brothers and I took my 16 year old boy.  He grew up going to Lee Speedway (down home 3/8ths track) but had never seen anything faster, I never took him to Loudon.

My brother put his camera on him for the last pace lap and the start.  The look on a first timers face at that moment is SO cool, and we got it.  Go, you wont regret it.

22 mins ago, Little said:

The seats from the above photo have been in my "circle" since 1972.  My dad and his buds went in 72 and sat inside the pits seats (sucked).  Got those seats when he left the track that day.  I went in 73, the year of the Salt Walther crash and the crash that killed Swede Savage.

I have told many many people-if you are not remotely a race fan, go anyway.  Its an amazing amazing spectacle to see.  Ive dragged many a person kicking and screaming to a race, every one of them loved it.

I got a great video this year.  My brothers and I took my 16 year old boy.  He grew up going to Lee Speedway (down home 3/8ths track) but had never seen anything faster, I never took him to Loudon.

My brother put his camera on him for the last pace lap and the start.  The look on a first timers face at that moment is SO cool, and we got it.  Go, you wont regret it.

Now you really got my thinking ahead towards it.  Those are great seats too.  What do those seats go for and what part of the track can someone who is not renewing from the previous year be expected to find an available seat?

12 mins ago, fishless said:

Now you really got my thinking ahead towards it.  Those are great seats too.  What do those seats go for and what part of the track can someone who is not renewing from the previous year be expected to find an available seat?

You can get seats anywhere on the track through stub hub and others.  My seats are still bought through IMS Box office and are priced OK, considering we have bought damn near 200 tickets since then.

Turn 1 is the best, Turn 2 is second, up high in the front straight (Paddock Penthouse) is next-my seats.

Finish line is cool too of course.  I like mine cause I like watching the pits-we are across from the back third of the pits.  This happened right in front of us this year

Yea that was a scary moment.  That could have ended far worse than it did. 

Back before we had cell phones all together I attended a Nascar race at Rockingham.  Kyle Petty pulls into his stall and they open his hood and the engine compartment exploded into flames engulfing each member of the team that was leaning in.  What nobody realized was the fire was raging under the hood but in such a way it was not visible from the wheel wells on either side.  When the hood was lifted the rush of oxygen fed the fire in a way that was like pouring gasoline onto the flames.