Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Nov 4 - 11

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

Was feels like 5 degrees walking the dog at 6am......... Temps Should bounce back but damn it got cold quick!!!!

Probably a quick trip Thurs evening and Friday day (sneaking a final day off for fishing) and then probably going to hang it up for the year.  Too many obligations as we get closer to thanksgiving and kids indoor soccer and basketball get going.  Day trips are near impossible for me and nights are getting too cold and results not worth it, plus its the time of year where i am tired of being tired.

23 hours ago, gill said:

Couple of keepers on the night shift on Friday.  Freaking coollllld...

nov bass.jpg

Nice fish, Chris.  Is that one of your plugs? 

23 hours ago, westhavendave said:

Wanted to hold onto this one for a couple of weeks before posting, Steve's bluefish on the right was probably the largest surf caught bluefish I have seen in 30 years, the former owner of Rivers End Tackle who participated in this two day blitz, stated the same. 

75478472_10219116016909378_8610282759774011392_n.jpg

What a bruiser! 

35 mins ago, Kooky said:

Was feels like 5 degrees walking the dog at 6am......... Temps Should bounce back but damn it got cold quick!!!!

Providence broke its daily low temperature for the date, as did a bunch of other cities. Was a "Blue Norther" that came barreling through. And a strong one at that. (Actually, in our part of the woods, the front is more like a Blue Nor'Wester, but is called a norther in the central US)

Still not quite as strong as the Great Blue Norther of 1911. Those record temperature drops still stand over a hundred years later. 

Just look at how extreme the plunge was in the central US. Temps went from the mid 70s to single digits

table.png.ffd18a0fecf0385910abcb7c4bdb9347.png

As for me.. hard pass on fishing today. Guides will be iced up, and fishing line stiff.

Friday looks doable before another cold shot Saturday. *Might* get down there Thursday night/Friday dawn for one last go. No, I'm not a local ocean stater.. and the 2hr ride each way has become somewhat exhausting when the payoff is simply rats and the occasional schoolie.

2 hours ago, rst3 said:

No, I'm not a local ocean stater.. and the 2hr ride each way has become somewhat exhausting when the payoff is simply rats and the occasional schoolie.

I hear ya on this. I used to make the drive 3-4 times a week from MA all season long and didn’t think anything of it, then I moved to the beach, and now back to the “interior.”  The ride is now torturous, especially when you’re sleep deprived and haven’t caught anything over 22” since May. 

I was thinking about one more trip on Sun. but it looks to turn cold again so may just be done.

Had a good day last Sun., so might be good to end on a positive note. It does suck though to think about what’s to come in the month’s ahead, and how long it will be before i have a rod in my hands again. :waah: