Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Nov 4 - 11

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

This fish report blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. This sharing benefits those who greatly use this RI forum.

The premise is to gather together all reports into one common portal unit, making it for easy access and reporting. 

This is the second year with this approach. Last year had great participation. This year is no different.

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us know. It all helps us educate to better fishing information. 

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel we have today for a better successful fishing trip in the future.   

Keep those reports coming regardless. We'd all like to hear. 

Lost fly rod, SOCO beach:  After catching a few stripers in the surf this evening (Monday), I left my 13' two-hand fly rod at a SOCO beach parking lot or forgot to strap it down on my roof rack.  I built this rod last winter and it is as precious to me as it is irreplaceable commercially, so please let me know if you hear of such a rod being found.  It is black with no markings, has a 16" upper handle and a 7" lower handle with alternating composite and natural cork rings, and is completely unmistakeable.

Thank you,

J.  

2 hours ago, JfromRI said:

Lost fly rod, SOCO beach:  After catching a few stripers in the surf this evening (Monday), I left my 13' two-hand fly rod at a SOCO beach parking lot or forgot to strap it down on my roof rack.  I built this rod last winter and it is as precious to me as it is irreplaceable commercially, so please let me know if you hear of such a rod being found.  It is black with no markings, has a 16" upper handle and a 7" lower handle with alternating composite and natural cork rings, and is completely unmistakeable.

Thank you,

J.  

Since it's not a fishing report, you might have better success if you mention the exact location. Fishermen here would more apt to look harder if they were in the same location. Just a thought?

Thanks Castafly.  I had been at Blue Shutters, and then home to Wakefield. I scoured the lot and roads last night and this morning and am also giving my contact info to the bait shops in Charlestown and SK so it can be turned in anonymously if needed.  

Fished the last 2 hours of an outgoing outflow.  Landed about 10 fish between 20-26" (not including a couple trout sized), fish wanted everything fished painfully slow.  Mix of fish hitting plug and teaser, and did drop a larger fish.  Once tide started to die fish were short hitting everything which got old quick.  

Hit a back water spot for a big schoolie and some short hits but was basically slack tide at this point so didnt stay long.  Lots of bait and activity in back water spot.

Will be wrapping up night trips really soon with this cold weather push predicted for after wed.

2 hours ago, JfromRI said:

Thanks Castafly.  I had been at Blue Shutters, and then home to Wakefield. I scoured the lot and roads last night and this morning and am also giving my contact info to the bait shops in Charlestown and SK so it can be turned in anonymously if needed.  

I'm not clear, did you put it on the roof but forgot to tie it down or did you leave it in the parking lot at blue shutters? If its the former it's probably lying on the side of Rte 1 or 1A, I'll keep an eye out for it.

3 hours ago, JfromRI said:

I know this is hind sight, after the fact advice, but I do a little fly fishing.

I've marked all my fly boxes, cameras, etc. with small mail return labels you get in the mail. Clip them as small as possible, and put some scotch tape over for good measure. They are small, clear, perfect.  It works. My son lost his drone flying near night. The next morning he's looking for it. I get a call, someone else found it and reported it to me.

3 hours ago, MakoMike said:

I'm not clear, did you put it on the roof but forgot to tie it down or did you leave it in the parking lot at blue shutters? If its the former it's probably lying on the side of Rte 1 or 1A, I'll keep an eye out for it.

After much tossing and turning, I now recall putting it in the cradle but didn’t tie it down.  I travelled directly to route 1 North.

1 hour ago, Capt.Castafly said:

I know this is hind sight, after the fact advice, but I do a little fly fishing.

I've marked all my fly boxes, cameras, etc. with small mail return labels you get in the mail. Clip them as small as possible, and put some scotch tape over for good measure. They are small, clear, perfect.  It works. My son lost his drone flying near night. The next morning he's looking for it. I get a call, someone else found it and reported it to me.

Will try to follow this advice now that I know I am a space cat.  In any case, sorry to clog the airwaves with this screw up.  I had just gotten to where I could sling 735 line wgt confidently in 12-14 knot side winds, so it’s a bummer to be suddenly out of commission.

2 hours ago, thermoklein said:

This blows my mind.

Roughly where?

I feel eyes on this reply... Scan the water in SoCo and you'll see them slashing. There's not many but they are there. My buddy hooked up on 2 from the surf and they were no slouches. 

1 hour ago, SlackTideBri said:

I feel eyes on this reply... Scan the water in SoCo and you'll see them slashing. There's not many but they are there. My buddy hooked up on 2 from the surf and they were no slouches. 

GettyImages-159626661-56ce05a13df78cfb37a37c81.jpg.f46e1ffd0d8ec6ffff582e587e56a8c1.jpgYeah, like 3000 people breathing down your neck.. lol

Fished the last three afternoons on a different soco beach each day. Spent daylight on the sand, moved into the rocks after dark. Nothing but rats on the beach, a little better run in the rocks.  Caught just a few today. Lost what felt like a real one tues. night.