crashmaster

First build, Possibilities ?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I have never built a rod before but I did repair a heaver using rod building epoxy and really enjoyed the process and the challenge. I'm contemplating building a steelhead spinning rod. My current favorite rod (almost 20 yrs old) is a G-Loomis, GL 3, STR1141S, 9'6" ultra-lite, slow action, 4-8 lb, 1/16 to 3/8 oz. I'd like to build a rod of as similar an action as I could but with a length of 10' 6" to 11'. Would it be possible to find blanks to accomplish this ? Any advise from experienced rod builders would be appreciated. JB

Thank you all for your replies, After checking out Northfork Composites, st Crois and others I think my first build will be with  Rodgeeks blank as It doesn't make sense to try to build my first rod with such expensive blanks. I can afford to screw up a $75 blank, not a $200 plus blank. I'll get around to building that special rod after I gain the confidence and skill to get it rite. Tight Lines, JB

I certainly didn't imply that Rodgeeks blanks were of lesser quality. It makes sense that after all these years and product inovations that the price would come down. G-Loomis rods was sold and I'm not sure if Gary Loomis is affiliated with them anymore as he operates Northfork Composites. As far as Rodgeeks, I'll be more than happy not to be dissapointed with the quality. My plan is to purchase a C2SS106ULS2 10' 6". I'll be calling Rodgeeks just to make sure that this blank is not of the noodle rod variety as that is not what I'm trying to build. My current GL 3 is definitely not noodle. The GL 3 is an awesome rod with which I pay zero attention to the line rating. I use 14# main line with 5 to 12# leaders. I've fought over 100 king salmon, some over 30#, with 10 and 12# leaders and the rod handled it like a champ. 80% or more of the bend is in the tip section and the but section has a lot of power. I purchased an 11'6"  GL 2 NR1382S back in the 90s when I was inexperienced, it's the noodliest rod I've ever seen. I haven't used it since 96 but I'm going to try it in the next two weeks just for sxxxs and giggles. Who knows, now that I'm somewhat experienced it might be a worthwhile rod to use when I want to play. Thank you for your replies, Tight Lines, JB