BrianZ

Night Time Walleye

24 posts in this topic

Hi, I recently bought an older used 12' SOT from a friend. 

Daytime fishing, no issues, pretty simple straightforward. 

Night time walleye fishing from a  large lake/reservoir. 

Everything at night is inherently a tad more difficult and requires a little extra thought. 

I enjoy the challenge and was looking forward to hearing form anyone that makes a habit out of chasing Wallter from a yak at night. 

Was out sunday morning , fishing by 4am had one on that went over a rock on the backside of the ledge he was sitting on and popped me off. 

looking forward to my next night time outing. 

I have no experience with walleye.  Caught one by chance in the CT River years back but have no idea about techniques.  What do you use and technique? 

depends on conditions (time of year, wind, prevalent bait) 

I am learning the bottom features of this one particular body of water now so i do fair amount of trolling. 

When i find structure that i like i work it over with jig, cranks and suspending stick baits. 

I just bought a collapsible bait bucket so i plan on adding live bait in to the mix. 

Most of my walleye have been taken on jigs but stickbaits account for a good number also. 

10 mins ago, BrianZ said:

depends on conditions (time of year, wind, prevalent bait)

Is it mostly a night bite this time of year?

I've been looking into walleye fishing...from what I see not too dissimilar from the open water smallies I've been chasing the past couple of months. 

Well, I think it's always easier to catch them at night regardless of season. the books say that after the thermocline breaks down a day bite should develop or at the least they will become more active during the day but in my experience that does not stop them from being active at night. They have big giant eyes for a reason.

One thing i have noticed while fishing rivers from shore a lot is that many times walleye and smallmouth will switch spots at night...meaning an active feeding spot that is covered with smallies during the day will have some walleyes at night but very few if any smallmouths.  not sure if it holds in lakes/reservoirs though. 

1 hour ago, BrianZ said:

Well, I think it's always easier to catch them at night regardless of season. the books say that after the thermocline breaks down a day bite should develop or at the least they will become more active during the day but in my experience that does not stop them from being active at night. They have big giant eyes for a reason.

One thing i have noticed while fishing rivers from shore a lot is that many times walleye and smallmouth will switch spots at night...meaning an active feeding spot that is covered with smallies during the day will have some walleyes at night but very few if any smallmouths.  not sure if it holds in lakes/reservoirs though. 

Thank you, all stored away under future walleye endeavors file. 

I don't chase walleye on a kayak, but it is something I have thought about doing. May give it a shot this year.

Spend this time of year chasing them from shore on many nights. They are not difficult to catch and where you find one you will find many more.

Very few places here on Long Island to catch walleye with Fort Pond in Montauk being one & Lake Ronkonkoma in Ronkonkoma being the other (that i know of)

I don't fish lake Ronkonkoma that often if at all anymore, theres like zero structure in that lake to begin with, also, a lot of riff-raff in that area, had a run in once, (another story) although, I've had some success trolling husky jerks around the shoreline drop offs in the early fall  predawn & dusk in fort pond though...

I’ve only caught em in daytime with a small curly tail grub on a jig, a skinny Keitech style paddle-tail on a jig, and a yellow perch colored Rapala. 

I’ve seen those 2 hook nightcrawler spinner rigs but never tried em. 

21 hours ago, staktup said:

I’ve only caught em in daytime with a small curly tail grub on a jig, a skinny Keitech style paddle-tail on a jig, and a yellow perch colored Rapala. 

I’ve seen those 2 hook nightcrawler spinner rigs but never tried em. 

i got limit 6 eyes last night off the rocks in one hour cleveland Lake Erie,HJ#14 clown.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:22 AM, BillZ said:

Lake Ronkonkoma , also, a lot of riff-raff in that area, had a run in once, (another story)

Story time please? this is my neck of the woods.

1 hour ago, GarbageFish said:

Story time please? this is my neck of the woods.

Sorry to hear that ;)

OK,  story time....this was a few yrs ago, maybe 4 or 5 :why:

I’d usually launch from the DEC ramp… That whole place & the adjacent shoreline is just a big hang out with a majority being Latino’s, yeah folks launch from there but most of the time its people using it as a hangout & partying…. mornings are better though, no one around..

One evening figured i'd try to hit up some smallies before sun down, we had a group of Latino 20 something’s hanging out about 50yds down the beach, I had a guy from the group become a little too interested in my kayak & everything on it…

I was approached as I walked down to the water, it started out with him oohing & ahhing about my gear & kayak then it came to him picking up my stuff & me telling him not to touch anything & to back off etc.…

I was kind of nice about it but it didn’t end that way, typical tough guy attitude, some more words came…… he was getting belligerent… told him to back off again, figured it wasn’t a good idea  to fish there  so I turned around & started leaving, he started challenging me & talking down to me… his buddies started getting up to check out the action hooting & hollering, etc

You don't know who's packing nowadays , who's got something to prove to his buddies, wasn't worth finding out so i just walked up to my truck, loaded up & left, all the while these idiots were talking & talking away…..

Never came to anything more but that’s what I came to expect after several trips to the area in the afternoon / evening time frame, not to that extent, that was a one off event, but that whole ramp area with people coming & going at all hours is bad news…I wouldn’t trust my truck parked at that place while I was on the water if you paid me….

That lake sucks anyway! :thumbd:

I love night time walleye fishing!!  Usually get my biggest fish of year that way.  Try jigging raps, moonshine shiver minnows(glow) and rippin raps over that deep structure.  Blade baits work well also.

6703171C-25E3-4EEA-A4EE-1E85C5501370.jpeg

6BB0BE45-C2E4-4158-8E37-1F9BEF917FF6.jpeg

654EBC1A-F454-4E49-8F26-E65D441AF541.jpeg