NMurray

Sore thumb (not a spot burn)

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Anyone ever experienced a soreness or numbness in the thumb from casting? 

I fished Tuesday and since then the left tip of my left thumb has been numb. I cast right hand so it’s my bottom hand and I noticed when I went out on Saturday that the rod butt passes right over the joint where my thumb meets my hand. If I poke there or cast, I get a tingle in my thumb. Anyone else ever deal with something like this? Got any remedies? 

E3D7FE79-BC2C-42DF-888A-A72692FBFF30.jpeg

Maybe you're gripping too hard. When you push into the bone at the base of the thumb on your palm does it hurt? It could either be muscle, or bruised bone. Most likely muscle. Rest should do it. I'll send you a bill. I take all major credit cards Dr fishy

Pad it. Had a similar thing happen to my right ring finger on the medial side where I grip the reel seat when I cast. I suspect it is a nerve injury from repetitive compression. Still numb from 3 weeks ago. Plan was to pad the reel where it meets the rod seat. Haven’t gotten around to it yet but no worse for wear. 

On 11/4/2019 at 11:56 AM, NMurray said:

Anyone ever experienced a soreness or numbness in the thumb from casting? 

I fished Tuesday and since then the left tip of my left thumb has been numb. I cast right hand so it’s my bottom hand and I noticed when I went out on Saturday that the rod butt passes right over the joint where my thumb meets my hand. If I poke there or cast, I get a tingle in my thumb. Anyone else ever deal with something like this? Got any remedies? 

E3D7FE79-BC2C-42DF-888A-A72692FBFF30.jpeg

This is definitely fodder for the Town Tavern .