JerseyMike609

Is it worth it?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I've been looking at getting a new 11" surfcasting rod and have been thinking about building one for a long time but I know nothing!I built a few ice rods a couple years back but that's nothing,anyway I was just curious if it would even be worth it or if I'd be better off just buying a rod?Thanks!

Building my first has turned into me building probably another 50 rods. It’s a rewarding hobby. 

if you’re nj/ny area you really should go to a nerbs gathering. It will be well worth it. 

Edited by Drew C.

It's worth it if you want the new rod to be better than any you've ever had.  Hookup with NERBS for a ton of experience selecting components and building the rod.

2 hours ago, Mangomania said:

It's worth it if you want the new rod to be better than any you've ever had.  Hookup with NERBS for a ton of experience selecting components and building the rod.

So just say if I built a $300 rod it would be better than a $300 rod out of say TackleDirect?

35 mins ago, JerseyMike609 said:

So just say if I built a $300 rod it would be better than a $300 rod out of say TackleDirect?

I don’t think you can look at it quite like that. In theory with a good layout, good blank, yes a custom rod should out perform a stock rod. 

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

I don’t think you can look at it quite like that. In theory with a good layout, good blank, yes a custom rod should out perform a stock rod. 

So if you only had $300 to spend would you build a custom or get a ODM DNA? Lol that's very specific but that's what I'm looking at, sorry for all the questions but this is a completely new thing for me.Also what is NERBS?

Northeast Rod Buiders, a group of very accomplished rod builders more than willing to share info, and instruct others to enjoy the craft as much as the do. I may suggest a face book search for Billy Vivano.

4 hours ago, JerseyMike609 said:

If you pick the right blank and components, build it to exactly your specifications, and use proper assembly techniques then yes.

When I work with someone to build a rod, one of the things I ask them is to show me their favorite rod.  I get them to tell me what they like about it and what they would change if they could, or what they would like it to do better.  I watch them cast it and if possible watch them fish with it.  If there's nothing they would change I tell them to just buy another one of that model.

If you are planning on building one rod cause you will get a better of cheaper rid than a stock the answer is no it wont better. Either buy the stock rod of have someone who has built rods for awhile build it for you

4 hours ago, SurffisherMike said:

If you are planning on building one rod cause you will get a better of cheaper rid than a stock the answer is no it wont better. Either buy the stock rod of have someone who has built rods for awhile build it for you

Lol yea that's what I've been thinking,I dont wanna mess it up.If I had 2 blanks how much might it cost to have a builder put guides on them?

3 mins ago, SurffisherMike said:

builders usually prefer to get the blank themselves but everyone is different. if your in Jersey go to Grumpys, great shop, great people, great builder. 

Yea,I think I'm either going to get the 11" odm or depending on the cost have something built mabye a rodgeeks.They have the 2 11" interchangeable blanks and im pretty sure Grumpy stocks them but your right I should go in and talk to them.Thanks!