FishNorthShore

Surf blank suggestions (most sensitive?)

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Hey guys I’m trying to either get a surf rod built or factory but  I would like to know what you guys have used or currently used and know to be the most sensitive rod, lightweight or not isn’t an issue but sensitivity is a must. 9 or 10ft. Id like to throw 1-3 but could be a little less or more thanks in advance

Edited by FishNorthShore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a question that has no correct answer. It's like asking who is the most beautiful woman in the world: it's a subjective question that has no empirically correct answer. 

I will say this: the most correct answer is that the lightest blanks makes the most sensitive rod. Get the lightest blank, add as little weight to it as possible, and that will be as close as you can come to the Most Sensitive Holy Grail of fishing rods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Belmo said:

It's a question that has no correct answer. It's like asking who is the most beautiful woman in the world: it's a subjective question that has no empirically correct answer. 

I will say this: the most correct answer is that the lightest blanks makes the most sensitive rod. Get the lightest blank, add as little weight to it as possible, and that will be as close as you can come to the Most Sensitive Holy Grail of fishing rods.

Thanks so I guess the question changes to what’s the lightest rod or a good light rod on the market? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is a sensitive rod all that important for surf fishing  What fish are you targeting that requires a sensitive rod?

 

Seems like might possibly misaligned priorities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, FishNorthShore said:

Thanks so I guess the question changes to what’s the lightest rod or a good light rod on the market? 

Forget a factory rod. A good custom rod, even on a "regular" blank, is going to be better than a factory rod, even an expensive factory rod. 

 

If you have the jack, look at Century and CTS. They have the lightest surf blanks around now, I believe. But they're not cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Why is a sensitive rod all that important for surf fishing  What fish are you targeting that requires a sensitive rod?

 

Seems like might possibly misaligned priorities. 

Not by any means am I saying it’s the only thing that matters and to be honest I don’t think it’s a matter of solely catching more fish  , it’s enjoyable to feel every little tap hit and head shake 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Belmo said:

Forget a factory rod. A good custom rod, even on a "regular" blank, is going to be better than a factory rod, even an expensive factory rod. 

 

If you have the jack, look at Century and CTS. They have the lightest surf blanks around now, I believe. But they're not cheap.

Thanks trying to maybe dish out on this rod it’s gunna be my lifetime rod :point:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also look at a Rodgeeks blank: these are very reasonably priced, are terrific -- I just built my first one, and was blown away by how much I liked it.

 

You can get a 10-foot Rodgeeks surf blank for not much more than $100, I believe, which is an incredible value, relative to what top-shelf surf blanks cost these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Belmo said:

Forget a factory rod. A good custom rod, even on a "regular" blank, is going to be better than a factory rod, even an expensive factory rod. 

 

If you have the jack, look at Century and CTS. They have the lightest surf blanks around now, I believe. But they're not cheap.

Absolutely above. Luv my Centurys ............. 

A good rockpile will let you know just how durable your lite and thin walled blank is. 

Learn how to build.

Do a load of research before dropping $400 + on a rod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, Lateral Line said:

Absolutely above. Luv my Centurys ............. 

A good rockpile will let you know just how durable your lite and thin walled blank is. 

Learn how to build.

Do a load of research before dropping $400 + on a rod. 

How difficult is it to build a rod decently well? As in functionality 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 mins ago, FishNorthShore said:

How difficult is it to build a rod decently well? As in functionality 

Not difficult. I spin by hand. Nothing fancy. Very functional.

Once you build a rod for a reel type or class and specific purpose, you wont go back to picking a rod off the rack at the store. You just cant go back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 mins ago, Lateral Line said:

Not difficult. I spin by hand. Nothing fancy. Very functional.

Once you build a rod for a reel type or class and specific purpose, you wont go back to picking a rod off the rack at the store. You just cant go back.

Are there any good posts on a starter list or set up? I’m starting to consider it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, FishNorthShore said:

Are there any good posts on a starter list or set up? I’m starting to consider it

Info on this site and online. 

Also check Mudhole tackle and GetBit Outdoors for blanks and build materials. I think they also do webinars.

If you don't get crazy, it's cost effective and easy. Lots of good reading out there on "how to" without all these mechanical gadgets. The gadgets are great but...........

Go for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 mins ago, Lateral Line said:

Info on this site and online. 

Also check Mudhole tackle and GetBit Outdoors for blanks and build materials. I think they also do webinars.

If you don't get crazy, it's cost effective and easy. Lots of good reading out there on "how to" without all these mechanical gadgets. The gadgets are great but...........

Go for it. 

Thank you i think I’ll dive into it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.