squammer

Striper Fishing in November?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Without asking for specific spots, I am curious as to what type of areas I should be targeting for Striped Bass in November? I live in Gloucester MA (boat is still in -- Ipswich Bay side of Cape Ann).

For example, should I be focusing on deeper water areas by boat (thinking migration)? Should I be focusing on back up in the rivers where the water is warmer (Annisquam River, Essex River, Ipswich River)? Perhaps the beaches off of Plum Island?

Who is putting the rods away for the season?

Any advice from the more experienced anglers on here would be appreciated.

Edited by squammer

Had a decent Sunday night (Nov 3) throwing an RM Smith yellow over white floating needle and Monday morning (Nov 4) throwing a washed ashore pencil out front. Sea ducks, cormorants and gulls were all along the beach and there is bait still hanging around. Fall run is still on and fish  are around on the south shore. 

Don't put your rods away, concentrate on outflows and back bays at night. Look for the bait, many of these places still hold lots of bait throughout the winter and this holds the bass. Throw soft plastics and small plugs. I've had great luck with the mag darter. Also consider throwing some eels. Last year I had great on bass until well after Thanksgiving and then I moved on to specifically targeting holdovers.

While outflows do hold great promise for bass in the late innings -- it's not because the water is warmer; It's because of food.

Unlike the spring, where shallow salt ponds heat up much faster than the winter-cold ocean.. in very late fall, those same ponds and rivers cool down quicker than the large heat sink that is the ocean.

@Sandbar1

The mag darter has recently been doing very well for our southern neighbors in RI. It is a wise plug choice. 

Edited by rst3

You guys remember that OTW vid of that giant school of bass in Boston harbour in December? I think these fish hang out longer than our willingness to chase them. To be fair.....They act much different than summer bass which I think gives us xtra challenges in trying to hook one......Ah found it......Hope the site lets me post the link....never sure what's right to post......Don't think tim does either lol

https://www.onthewater.com/video-boston-harbor-december-stripers

Edited by robc22

Thanks everyone. I am going to keep at it. The areas where I always see fish have not been showing anything for the past week or so, which is what made me post this question originally.

I have been using the small 5/8oz mag darter (ghost black color) all season at night off the docks where I live. Love this lure. I also have the 1oz version and another 1oz in bone color I use on my light surf setup, but the smaller one on my light rod has always been more productive for me personally.

Edited by squammer

Rob-

IF I remember correctly...(always a crapshoot with me), that video clip was a holdover school at a well known holdover location. I've seen some truly impressive schools that winter over. So fishing all winter is definitely possible. Though some effort is required to learn the holdover spots, and to get out there during warm spells when the bite perks up.

Edited by rst3

Found a sizable school of fish this week at sunrise keyed in on 4inch minnows.  We caught mostly schoolies but had fish up to 24inch mixed in.  Easily boated 20 fish but the bite disappeared once the sun got too high.  This was in Buzzards Bay.

Screenshot_20191104-180917_Gallery.jpg

Thank you for the thread! Was wondering what's next "after the stripers move out." But I'll keep trying. The wife thinks I'm crazy but I can now tell her people are still catching. 

This was my first season back since fishing as a kid 30+ years ago, been getting plenty of schoolies, was hoping for a keeper no luck, but just happy to be getting outside. Been fishing the Quincy area from shore, and getting out in my kayak around Thompson, Moon and Long Island; bites seem to have slowed way down though. I am still figuring out lures, gear, spots and timing, being a newbie and all, so I attributed it to that. And it's hard for me to get out early or late, but once a week I can make it happen. I also am in the habit of fishing my same spot, but realize I should be getting around a little more, and checking out different locations. 

Thanks again!