robc22

Will the reel SOL anglers please step up!?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Ok...So it is the beginning of Nov........We used to start looking for canal cod about this time. While chasing those cod we would catch winter flounder, windowpaine flounder, Macks, tommycod and the odd cubera snapper!

So what about it guys? My red gills are rigged. I'm ready to go......

IMG_20191104_090919.jpg.0a477522fad33528778d72307a1f7748.jpg

Forget about silly striped bass or aweful albies.......Try catching the most elusive fish in mass......The Canal cod!!

Hey, I grew up striper fishing in the early eighties......I know what it's like to cast into an empty ocean! But we never quit and we caught some good fish!!

Anyone who can post some pics of some canal caught groundfish ( Feel free to C&R) ole rob will make sure some super fresh and free shellfish comes your way!

Any PM ed questions on how to catch these guys in the ditch will be promptly and honestly answered.

If you see some old dude fishing in a snow squall.....Stop and say hi! It's prolly me!!.......:howdy:

I've tried in the mid 90's to early 2000's soaking a hi-low with globs of clams on the hooks.   Never did catch a cod but small pollack are plentiful and a small conger eels are all what I recall reeling up.  Maybe things have changed but now I am more than an hour and a half away, and being 30 yrs older, I can't take the frostbite just for a skunking anymore.

2 mins ago, PJ said:

I've tried in the mid 90's to early 2000's soaking a hi-low with globs of clams on the hooks.   Never did catch a cod but small pollack are plentiful and a small conger eels are all what I recall reeling up.  Maybe things have changed but now I am more than an hour and a half away, and being 30 yrs older, I can't take the frostbite just for a skunking anymore.

Real conger eels or cusk?

Won't likely be stepping up to that challenge any time soon, but for nostalgia sake...

In the early 80s, late winter, early Spring, guys lined up at the mouth of the Merrimack to fish cod, pollock and flounder from shore. I mostly remember it as an observer, a teenager down there drinking beer, but I remember rope stringers with big piles of fish.

I got in on it at the end very briefly for a couple trips.

17554379_10210657771714042_205475512993458578_n.jpg

1 hour ago, PJ said:

Fairly certain that they were conger eels and not cusk.  

Conger eel

I130712_150029_255012oTextCS_44516065.jpg.70bace8bcb83bfeea3c1a92e12fb2e24.jpg

Cusk

cusk1.jpg.25022df944e3affe8d25193089c9cd8b.jpg

They are as mean as they look!.......Never ate conger eel but I have had Cusk. Very good......What is it about bottom fish? The uglier they are the better they taste. lol

I used cusk as a hookbait for tuna just for the effort. I tried bridle rigging one and got my butt kicked!!

We would catch tons of cusk in our lobster trawls........Ripping them up through the water column would stun them momentarily.........The trick was to get them out of the pot and back overboard before they got their senses back. Take to long and you had a fight on your hands.....:box:

Edited by robc22

53 mins ago, robc22 said:

Conger eel

I130712_150029_255012oTextCS_44516065.jpg.70bace8bcb83bfeea3c1a92e12fb2e24.jpg

They are as mean as they look!.......Never ate conger eel but I have had Cusk. Very good......What is it about bottom fish? The uglier they are the better they taste. lol

I used cusk as a hookbait for tuna just for the effort. I tried bridle rigging one and got my butt kicked!!

We would catch tons of cusk in our lobster trawls........Ripping them up through the water column would stun them momentarily.........The trick was to get them out of the pot and back overboard before they got their senses back. Take to long and you had a fight on your hands.....:box:

Rob-

"The Market" used to pay me on those as "Silver Eels". Have you heard them called that?

1 hour ago, jason colby said:

Rob-

"The Market" used to pay me on those as "Silver Eels". Have you heard them called that?

Well that is interesting......I have heard them called that. I wonder if they are confused with american eels?

American eels in the last part of their life are also called silver eels. They stop eating and their guts turn into muscles to help them with their final journey to the sargasso sea to breed. They become very butch looking....Just like a small conger. 

Eels are some of the most amazing fish in the sea but because they look very snakelike they don't get the kudo's and protection they deserve.

Edited by robc22

I swear we used to catch small congers up in the coles river when I was a kid.  My uncle (just a kid then too) caught a big eel once that was full of teeth and we were afraid to take the hook out so we cut the head off.  and the head bit him.       

My old timer friends talk of catching 20 and 30 pound congers off the rocks in Little Compton back in the day.

Rob back in another time we would have loved to have such a nice rod and reel set up to fish with . Its good enough to use the old conventional for now , but once we began to see a good frost  you need to learn how to cast it with a glove on or freeze your finger to the line and reel. Our conventional consisted of 140's, and Phluegers with a few Ocean Cities in the mix, The the spin reel made it show and with out question you learned how to clean and lubricate them so they would work when the outside temperatures  got way below zero or you would struggle trying to work a fat cod from the bottom . Mitchels did the job for most and Luxors for those with more money in the pocket to spend.  Then I have seen using a hand line on a stick or can under some circumstances do the job

You may also recall another time when one fish we also called silver hake or a [whiting] in the market as being the fish of choice along with the small smelt and pollock We had no period from spring to spring that we could not catch fish from the shore lines of the Massachusetts coast line including an occasional Haddock . My times are now in the memory banks of time still sit and ponder why we have lost so much fishing experiences that will never ever be duplicated again in my life time, except through word history like this 

3 hours ago, robc22 said:

Well that is interesting......I have heard them called that. I wonder if they are confused with american eels?

American eels in the last part of their life are also called silver eels. They stop eating and their guts turn into muscles to help them with their final journey to the sargasso sea to breed. They become very butch looking....Just like a small conger. 

Eels are some of the most amazing fish in the sea but because they look very snakelike they don't get the kudo's and protection they deserve.

Sometimes when I was trapping scup out of Montauk or Point Judith the pots would load up with "conger eels". That's what I called them (same as your picture) and the "silver eels" designation came with the check, usually from Blue Ribbon and believe me, they would not make a error like that so they must have had a very good reason for calling them silvers. This designation occurred many times over a 15 year spread....