RISurfcaster

New Regs and Riggies?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Anyone know for sure how these new regs will impact riggies? I'd assume they will categorize it as "dead" bait and require circle hooks, but I'm really hoping they wont. 

Anyone else looking into this, have any light to shed on the topic?

There was another thread on this topic recently. Unless you can convince your state to do something about it, I think the answer is yes. rigged eels will become a thing of the past.

I thought the rule did not apply to baits that where cast and retrieved......someone told me that if you rigged the eel on a wobble head or jighead it was then considered an artificial.......

3 hours ago, Drew C. said:

I'm not changing how I rig my eels. If they can find me at night, while I'm fishing, good for them.

I'm with you, there's good regs and then there's stupidity. I'll continue to fish how I fish and I'll continue to release healthy fish to catch anouther day. Same with live eels.

Edited by Sandbar1

11 hours ago, Drew C. said:

I'm not changing how I rig my eels. If they can find me at night, while I'm fishing, good for them.

While not advocating breaking the law I totally get where you are coming from and feel the same way. Ridiculous regulations imo.

13 hours ago, C.Robin said:

I assume they'll be banned for j-hook fishing, but riggies work just fine with a circle hook as long as you don't rip it out of their mouths.

So how does that work? Do you just let the fish swim away with the rigged eel after the hit? What size circle hooks do you use for a rigged eel?

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Kind of funny how we have to deal with nonsense regs just so some **** catching 35 schoolies on sea worms doesn’t gut em all because he “wants his hook back”.......I guess it is for the better.....lol