DoorGunner

Thanksgiving.

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Little over three weeks away. Right up there with Christmas as my favorite Holiday. 

Yesterday on the way home I stopped at the supermarket for my life sustaining supplies of corn meal, gunpowder, ham hocks and guitar strings. Usually I'm hit and run because the less time in the market for me the better. Yesterday was different. The market looked like the holidays. Extra isles set up with every kind of baking supplies you will ever need. Stacks of extra large foil pans for jumbo turkeys and huge boxes full of soft or hard bread cubes for stuffing. I got into it.

Tomorrow morning I head up to my brothers to kill his last nine turkeys. Hopefully get a few more pics of Red's head. So the market wasn't that busy and up and down every isle I went picking out the items I will need for my part of the big meal. Enough Granny Smith apples for five apple pies. The large can of pumpkin for two pies plus the evaporated milk and a jar of mince meat for one pie. Earlier this year I sent away for two jars of tart cherries for another pie. Then I moved on to my cheating isle. I picked up seven boxes of the fresh Pillsbury Pie crusts. They taste just as good as homemade and I want to concentrate on the fillings. 

I make the pies and my stuffing that me, my daughter and granddaughter love here at my place so all I have to do now is wait for two weeks to pick up the soft bread cubes, celery, onions and that can be my hit and run stop when the stores are getting busy. tomorrow at my brothers besides killing turkeys we will also do a few chickens and I will get the thighs because he isn't a dark meat fan. I am and found out if I cook some thighs and dice up the meat it makes my stuffing that much tastier when mixed in. Also because he doesn't do anything with the giblets I get extras that I slow cook in a large stock pot to get the juice to mix my stuffing with. It's a whole fun time and I love every minute of it. The only thing I didn't like about Thanksgiving was standing in the checkout line with a shopping cart loaded to the gills along with everyone else. Way ahead of the game that I love to play.

Feel free to bust my chops for having this much fun in the kitchen cooking and baking. How many of you are going to be ripping the guts out if nine turkeys tomorrow?  

002_zpscttfk7ia.jpg.27eb66e02cf190d504aee6baa1de0ddf.jpg  

011_zpsc3023b55.jpg.8d246d532d0bd7ed168ef4d76f3c6fa2.jpg 

007_zps0gcyeq0s.jpg.4e82f094b0c09d1eaa02ae75d6428ffb.jpg

IMG_0812.JPG.baf2fdf20e800e359aa1ced305a81828.JPG

001_zpsqvpuxfj9.jpg.b1278480efd4b9c06ebdd5549121a445.jpg  

A number of years ago we got an ad from a local cider mill that they’d be taking orders for holiday pies. For some reason we convinced ourselves that their pie would be better than one we could bake ourselves or buy at the local market.  Boy, were we underwhelmed by that expensive pie. It was so bad and such a disappointment to us that we haven’t been back to that cider mill since. These days, we put out a spread for so many people that wifey simply doesn’t have time to do the baking herself. Know what? Our local supermarket bakes on premises and their pies are pretty darn okay. And they are way less expensive than buying the ingredients and doing it ourselves. Store bought pies for us this year. 

My mother’s stuffing (sausage based) would win the World Series of Stuffing. Was my grandmothers recipe. 
It is the favorite side dish in my life. 

This year I’ll be at my girlfriends moms for Thanksgiving in North Carolina. 
Maybe I’ll weasel the recipe from mom and make it down there, but don’t want to ruffle any feathers. 

23 mins ago, Retainer said:

Pumpkin...the only one that matters.

Are they sweet or savory?

Edited by MickAff

3 mins ago, MickAff said:

Are they sweet or savory?

Tell me you never had pumpkin pie? 
the land of Oz, great surf, beautiful women, big beer cans, tree hugging little bears,  marsupials.....but no pumpkin pie???

37 mins ago, The Riddler said:

ED93BB1F-EF6B-4245-AF05-6B24509AA286.jpeg

Nope. That cleaver has one sharp edge and it's all in the wrist. That turkey head went skipping across the yard plus he was dead already so it doesn't matter. Gotta kill it first then take the head off.