sunobskt

Fluorocarbon fail

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Tried p-line then segaur same issue with both, frequent breaks, 12lb test. The stuff would break brand new, minimal pressure. This had happened with p line, hence the switch. Brand new, lost 3fish today. Anybody else have this issue? Sticking with trilene from now on.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad batch is a possibility but they are both very good flouros, so I'm going with operator error on this one. Doesn't take much for 12lb to break and not that much stretch either. Broken insert, bill dance hooksets, minor structure, high drag pressure, etc. will all lead to failure. Would examine everything before you change from those two brands

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dennysnook said:

Bad batch is a possibility but they are both very good flouros, so I'm going with operator error on this one. Doesn't take much for 12lb to break and not that much stretch either. Broken insert, bill dance hooksets, minor structure, high drag pressure, etc. will all lead to failure. Would examine everything before you change from those two brands

operator error seems to be the only logical answer but this played out over a couple years, 3 different rods and it just kept happening. always thought well, got a bad bit there, the next section will be good but no, break off after break off. as for the drag, i pay close attention because of the 12 lb test. i put back on the trilene and no prob. in fact after retying this one came on the trilene. it had to be pulled around 2 pilings and was nick free. I know i said there is not much structure but the fluoro would fail without significant contact or if the contact that did occur caused it then the stuff is too fragile. i may be screwing something up but life is too short. 

 

8 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Which seaguar?

invizix

EBC4C7E0-FBE1-491E-85A4-0CD59450776C.jpeg

Edited by sunobskt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the same issue with Seaguar floro reeled a striper to boat side waiting for the net. Watched the Seaguar break mid way between the swivel and the hook, brand new first time I used it and the last time for stripers. Does it make any sense that stripers would be leader shy and not hook shy. IMHO fluro has a place in tuna fishing and that's about it. Fish see everything under water from ropes to cans to crab traps and the list goes on not mention predators. Does anyone think they scrutinize leader material. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have had good luck w/Seagar and Yozuri, but DO NOT TOUCH Palomar!!!  Found it on Amazon for a good price, but the 30 lb stuff easily broke at about 6 lbs at a....wait for it.... well-tied Palomar Knot!!!! 

 

Tried it multiple times, and just gave up and tossed the brand new spool.  Regrettably I didn't try the spool as soon as I got it so I couldn't return it.  Might have been a bad batch, but will not give them credit and try it again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 mins ago, sunobskt said:

operator error seems to be the only logical answer but this played out over a couple years, 3 different rods and it just kept happening. always thought well, got a bad bit there, the next section will be good but no, break off after break off. as for the drag, i pay close attention because of the 12 lb test. i put back on the trilene and no prob. in fact after retying this one came on the trilene. it had to be pulled around 2 pilings and was nick free. I know i said there is not much structure but the fluoro would fail without significant contact or if the contact that did occur caused it then the stuff is too fragile. i may be screwing something up but life is too short. 

 

invizix

EBC4C7E0-FBE1-491E-85A4-0CD59450776C.jpeg

I use the same and notice that it does not age well.  Try red label next time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

I use the same and notice that it does not age well.  Try red label next time

Got the invizix 3 weeks ago.

 

2 hours ago, squidder 329 said:

Had the same issue with Seaguar floro reeled a striper to boat side waiting for the net. Watched the Seaguar break mid way between the swivel and the hook, brand new first time I used it and the last time for stripers. Does it make any sense that stripers would be leader shy and not hook shy. IMHO fluro has a place in tuna fishing and that's about it. Fish see everything under water from ropes to cans to crab traps and the list goes on not mention predators. Does anyone think they scrutinize leader material. 

I would set the hook, barely enough pressure to bend rod, pop, leader snapped. This has occurred on several occasions, different lines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do lots of party boat fishing for Bluefish, striped bass, fluke,  seabass...with 30# floro...Seaguar or p-line leaders tied to 20-30# braid.  I use the Palomar knot, Double Uni, Alberto knot...No difference, NO trouble. Check to see if your rod tips are ceramic and SMOOTH or old, metal and grooved from using braid on old, pre-braid poles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RonV said:

I do lots of party boat fishing for Bluefish, striped bass, fluke,  seabass...with 30# floro...Seaguar or p-line leaders tied to 20-30# braid.  I use the Palomar knot, Double Uni, Alberto knot...No difference, NO trouble. Check to see if your rod tips are ceramic and SMOOTH or old, metal and grooved from using braid on old, pre-braid poles.

Ceramic guides. Not tearing anything else up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.