Fishin Technician

FLY FISHING LAKE GEORGE NEW YORK FOR LANDLOCKED SALMON

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I am just wondering if there are any FF people that remember  FF for LLS 20 years ago in Lake George and if they if that fishery still exists today?

FT

I got  a few  fish wading off the Million Dollar Beach in Nov.  in the late 90's-early 2ooo's. I went for a few years, then it  seemed to be an exercise in  futility.  I had a knack for picking days with North winds blowing down the lake. I don't know if trolling  streamers with an electric motor would be more effective, certainly would be warmer.  I was  thinking about that  fishery a few days ago, as it was interesting while it lasted.  I haven't heard a word about fly fishing for them  since about 2006 or so- doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  From what I've read, the fishery that collapsed is now back to about half of what it was  thanks to stocking strains from Maine. 

The fishery still exists, though it is quite different today, or at least as of last Friday. Bloos' comment on changing strains of source salmon some years ago is true.  A few years back there was lively discussion about overpopulation of predatory lake trout  on young salmon.  Stocking also changed from dumping into watershed streams, to open water stocking.  This was to help cut down on losses to stream based predators of the finned, feathered and upright two-legged variety. Fishing in the streams is prohibited September 15 through April 15.

From my (amateur)fishing perspective, another result is that the fish do not congregate around the stocking(natal) streams, so the old honey holes are gone. Most Landlocks are caught trolling for lakers or by people who have put a whole lot of time in to figure it out.  It is not a numbers game.  I spent around 25 hours targeting Landlocks last week fishing a fifteen mile stretch of the lake. I landed 8 salmon, only one over the18" minimum size.  My best action came in a wide open part of the lake when I spotted surface action and drifted through it a few times before they moved on.  The fish were on what I call "glass smelt", small young of the year smelt pushed to the surface. I used very small 2-3" flies tied sparse. My best fishing is usually this time of year until ice up.  But it is also bow season, so there are decisions to make.

By the way, there were a couple of staging fish caught off the beach during the week.  There was also 4-5" of rain Thursday night so all conditions are different today.  I will probably be back at it in a couple of weeks and continue until the access points freeze up. Incidentally, I either fish from my 15 foot boat or my kayak, and from my dock.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 5:44 PM, Dance the tides said:

From my (amateur)fishing perspective, another result is that the fish do not congregate around the stocking(natal) streams, so the old honey holes are gone.

I was a regular in the 80' and 90's and know how to catch them on a fly rod.   I have been there 3 x in the last two weeks and have experienced a few swirls  / tugs, these fish are not aggressive as the used to be.

Being non natal says it all , if you stock fingerlings in the lake there is no natal input to reproduce in a stream.

Trying again this weekend ...with neoprene's...... 

FT

On 11/4/2019 at 5:44 PM, Dance the tides said:

The fishery still exists, though it is quite different today, or at least as of last Friday. Bloos' comment on changing strains of source salmon some years ago is true.  A few years back there was lively discussion about overpopulation of predatory lake trout  on young salmon.  Stocking also changed from dumping into watershed streams, to open water stocking.  This was to help cut down on losses to stream based predators of the finned, feathered and upright two-legged variety. Fishing in the streams is prohibited September 15 through April 15.

From my (amateur)fishing perspective, another result is that the fish do not congregate around the stocking(natal) streams, so the old honey holes are gone. Most Landlocks are caught trolling for lakers or by people who have put a whole lot of time in to figure it out.  It is not a numbers game.  I spent around 25 hours targeting Landlocks last week fishing a fifteen mile stretch of the lake. I landed 8 salmon, only one over the18" minimum size.  My best action came in a wide open part of the lake when I spotted surface action and drifted through it a few times before they moved on.  The fish were on what I call "glass smelt", small young of the year smelt pushed to the surface. I used very small 2-3" flies tied sparse. My best fishing is usually this time of year until ice up.  But it is also bow season, so there are decisions to make.

By the way, there were a couple of staging fish caught off the beach during the week.  There was also 4-5" of rain Thursday night so all conditions are different today.  I will probably be back at it in a couple of weeks and continue until the access points freeze up. Incidentally, I either fish from my 15 foot boat or my kayak, and from my dock.

What size hooks were your sparse 2" - 3" flies tied on? Were these the classic patterns of the area (Magog smelt, and so on) or something else?