Hook I

Autumn Sunday

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

11/3. got  a text early this am from a bud who wanted to fish = you bet !34 degrees got on the NJ trout stream = small water about 10 am 3 w is the set up short leader nymph style . Pink Squirrel , Prince nymph , BH Pheasant tail and a few no name nymphs . Beautiful day sunny blue sky 4 native rainbows missed 6 or so those tricky fish do get the best of me . Off the water by 1:30 pmEA6F320E-8A3E-410C-AD6F-1FCBFCB22DF0.jpeg.8785e3db1248f0fce7b7a284e1f1aae4.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good looking stream.  I did the same thing, woke up thinking about a little rod I hadn't fished in a long time and spent a few hours on my local stream swinging soft hackles.  Nice time of year to be out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice.  I did my nearly 350 mile round trip trek to the East Outlet of Moosehead on Sunday.  1 salmon ( albeit a pig at 21") and 3 brook trout.   I was hoping for November dry fly fish in Maine, but the hatch never materialized.  Headed to MA on Friday night to drop off a boat and pick up another one and will fish somewhere for something on Saturday.  Either look for stripers South Shore/Canal or make the trek to the Farmington....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 mins ago, titleguy said:

Very nice.  I did my nearly 350 mile round trip trek to the East Outlet of Moosehead on Sunday.  1 salmon ( albeit a pig at 21") and 3 brook trout.   I was hoping for November dry fly fish in Maine, but the hatch never materialized.  Headed to MA on Friday night to drop off a boat and pick up another one and will fish somewhere for something on Saturday.  Either look for stripers South Shore/Canal or make the trek to the Farmington....

I know a lot of guys who wait for the hatches and it’s a great way  to tight the line but if I know where those fish are I’ll change off tactics . To drive  that far and wait I just don’t have it in me to .   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 mins ago, Bonefish79 said:

Good looking stream.  I did the same thing, woke up thinking about a little rod I hadn't fished in a long time and spent a few hours on my local stream swinging soft hackles.  Nice time of year to be out.

For a small stream I lost  an 10-11” fish , we use barbless hooks but hay ! I had the take that was cool after about a dozen or so casts in the same little pool ( deep ) I knew somebody was home . It’s a great game . The more I do it the more getting rid of the big sticks and just a pocket = 1 box  of flies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hook I said:

I know a lot of guys who wait for the hatches and it’s a great way  to tight the line but if I know where those fish are I’ll change off tactics . To drive  that far and wait I just don’t have it in me to .   

I may wait on a hatch in the summer, but not for a day trip that far.  I Czech nymphed for a couple of hours and then broke out the dry fly rod and looked for heads at the appropriate time.  Didn't see any so I then set up my 5 wt spey and swung flies for another hour and then drove home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  

6 mins ago, titleguy said:

I may wait on a hatch in the summer, but not for a day trip that far.  I Czech nymphed for a couple of hours and then broke out the dry fly rod and looked for heads at the appropriate time.  Didn't see any so I then set up my 5 wt spey and swung flies for another hour and then drove home.

 Czech nymphing something you originally started or just recently began doing ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 mins ago, Hook I said:

  

 Czech nymphing something you originally started or just recently began doing ? 

Started last winter.  A new tactic-  I got sick of indicator nymphing but started Czech nymphing last winter.  After some trial and error and learning the rigging and can catch fish doing it.  It can be very effective in the right water.  There are some who consider it not be fly fishing as you often do not have fly line out of the tip of the rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, titleguy said:

Started last winter.  A new tactic-  I got sick of indicator nymphing but started Czech nymphing last winter.  After some trial and error and learning the rigging and can catch fish doing it.  It can be very effective in the right water.  There are some who consider it not be fly fishing as you often do not have fly line out of the tip of the rod.

My fishing bud is excellent at it . Attended a few shows the last year and picked it up . If you like it and follow the rules of fishing who cares . My other bud has been fly fishing over 70 years and just picked it up also like you got tired of indicators. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrBob said:

Nymphing with indicators is painful for me, I just can't get into it.   I'll swing flies for trout with a light two hand all day long though.

Agreed....  I particularly love to get into a good stretch of swinging water that I can work for a couple of hours or more.  One of my fishing partners described it thus, "you hate to have a fish interrupt the zen of the casting."  I am looking at a lighter and softer trout spey for next rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, titleguy said:

 "you hate to have a fish interrupt the zen of the casting." 

Funny, the cast is what I've always enjoyed most.  I'm almost to the point of cutting the bend off my hooks, the strike is just so cool when you're swinging flies, that's enough for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 mins ago, Bonefish79 said:

Funny, the cast is what I've always enjoyed most.  I'm almost to the point of cutting the bend off my hooks, the strike is just so cool when you're swinging flies, that's enough for me.

It is pretty addictive.  I recently started doing a backhand snap t instead of a double river left, only because it is a more elegant cast.....:rav:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.