SMC22

DIY bonefishing bahamas

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys, 

Itching to get out of the cold. Was thinking about heading to the Bahamas for a DIY bonefish trip. (Would be willing to get a guide a few days) I was thinking January even thought I know the weather can be hit or miss.  I have read great thing on Eleuthera. Any advice or reports would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

SmC

3 hours ago, SMC22 said:

Hey guys, 

Itching to get out of the cold. Was thinking about heading to the Bahamas for a DIY bonefish trip. (Would be willing to get a guide a few days) I was thinking January even thought I know the weather can be hit or miss.  I have read great thing on Eleuthera. Any advice or reports would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

SmC

Eleuthera bonefishing seriously degraded by too many DIY anglers. Flats are small and way over-pressured.

Spent many years in North Andros.

Plenty of big fish there... Huge flats...

Not very developped.Couple of places to stay close to the flats at the northern end...

Good luck

If you’re new to bonefishing I would get a few guided days under your belt before DIY. There’s an outfitter that sets up DIY trips in the Bahamas called Catargus Creek Outfitters. Not sure of the spelling, maybe someone on the site can correct it, see what they have to offer. They’re located in upstate NY, I’ve used them twice and thought they provided a good service for little added cost. 
I’ve found January to offer some very good bonefishing if you luck out with the weather. Weather is always a crap shoot just like the rest of the winter in the Bahamas. The benefit of January is that all of the serious flats in the Bahamas don’t get much pressure. Flats in the tourist areas get a lot of traffic all winter. 

2 hours ago, patabate said:

If you’re new to bonefishing I would get a few guided days under your belt before DIY. There’s an outfitter that sets up DIY trips in the Bahamas called Catargus Creek Outfitters. Not sure of the spelling, maybe someone on the site can correct it, see what they have to offer. They’re located in upstate NY, I’ve used them twice and thought they provided a good service for little added cost. 
I’ve found January to offer some very good bonefishing if you luck out with the weather. Weather is always a crap shoot just like the rest of the winter in the Bahamas. The benefit of January is that all of the serious flats in the Bahamas don’t get much pressure. Flats in the tourist areas get a lot of traffic all winter. 

I would second the plug for Vince's services.  I used him for my trip to Eleuthera in 2006.  ( you can read my review on his site). 

check out a resort on grand Bahama called paradise cove. mainly houses families has no guides just a interior reef for snorkeling and stuff but 100 yards down the beach away from the beach goers caught plenty of 5 lb bones and cuda. I was actually working on the island for two weeks and found this spot and others that required no guide but guides are available on island if needed. there is a promotional video on paradise cove I posted it on sol before so do a search. pm me and  I with phone number and I can tell you more

Jim  

Edited by onthefly

7 hours ago, Hook I said:

with the hurricane devastation I would think elsewhere buddy . 

Nope, don't have to.

Only the Northern part of the Bahamas was touched. Andros got rain that's it.